Editing on two systems

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I would be grateful for a bit of help and pointers on this.
I edit at the moment using LR and PS on a windows desktop but I am thinking about buying a laptop so I can edit on both so I am not restricted to being stuck in one place .
I would like to be able to download to my PC and switch back and forth between PC and laptop.
I like the look of the new Macbook Air MI , I know that I am able to install LR/PS on two computers but I am not clear how to go about switching from one to the other, ideally I would like to copy a photo from PC>Laptop edit and then send it back to the PC ,it sounds simple but I am sure its not that easy so any help would be appreciated before I go out and buy a laptop.
Any help would be much appreciated.

I do this on my portable MBA and desktop: (but I work in LR only)
1. Import all photos into desktop, creating smart preview.
2. Use a cloud sync to sync LR catalogue and smart previews only. (I use Synology Drive on my NAS to avoid cloud storage fees)
3. Open the LR catalogue on the second computer and edit away.
Any changes on one will appear on the other after the catalogue is synced. Just be sure you don't try to open LR on both machine at the same time or you'll get sync errors.

I then also have a "on-location" catalogue on the portable machine. I import into this catalogue when using the MBA. Then import the whole catalogue into my main LR catalogue when I get home. Finally generate smart previews and wait for the cloud sync to complete.

Benefit of this method is 2 fold:
1. Perfectly sync catalogue file without managing the underlying files
2. Save space on the portable machine by not needing RAW files on it.

Thanks for everyones input,I think I will install LR and P S on my wifes computer and see which is the easiest way for me to work before spending any money

I use remote desktop from my laptop, so I get to use the horsepower of the desktop and don't have to sync anything, the laptop is just a "dumb" terminal

Back