Editing question

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
I do alot of nightclub photography and i would like to edit to this sort of style i would like to maybe create a action etc but im not quite sure how they have done this.

any help would be great just would like to give my photo something a little extra.

thanks in advance

Joe

Attachments

• 10636722_964297530279423_6729255288366661611_o.jpg
    10636722_964297530279423_6729255288366661611_o.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 106
First of all have you got some samples of your shots? What sort of settings are you using when shooting? Remember there is only so much you can do in post.

Thanks for the replyd these are the type of shots im taken at the moment im trying to get that washed out look sort of.

here are some of the most recent photos ive taken -

The furst one is wjay i normally would edit like and the second is a action someone did for me but it puts those black lines over it etc

Thanks again

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 73
  • 14448_10151333922561944_1107946132_n.jpg
    14448_10151333922561944_1107946132_n.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 72
lol is that Eclipse in Brentwood? Photographed Saturday nights and kids partys there for a while.

Last edited:
It looks a bit like a cross process look to me (but I'm viewing on the smalest monitor in the world)

It looks a bit like a cross process look to me (but I'm viewing on the smalest monitor in the world)

Nah.... nothing like it. I used to cross E to C all the time. Here's some real E to C cross processing. You actually get good solid blacks from it because it massively increases contrast.

0085 coral-island.jpg

Here's a scan of a real RA4 colour print from a E to C cross negative.
0222 north-pier.jpg

Last edited:
+1 that is what it made me think of.

Dunno why, you get mad contrast with cross processing.. rich, deep blacks. Even going C to E increases contrast massively. The colours in that shot the OP posted in post #1 are normal too. Cross processing severely messes your colour response up, as you can see above.

Last edited:
I just cant seem to get that ( cloudy ) effect over the photo if this makes sense

I think the original image has a bit of a split tone to it, but it could be as shot. (maybe that's what others meant by cross processed)

You could start with an action like this one: http://beatsense.deviantart.com/art/unbroken-action-296630227 or edit the one you have to remove the black bars.... However you go about it, any action/preset will need modified/adapted on a by-image basis...

I think the original image has a bit of a split tone to it,

If there is, it may be they've raised the toe to different levels for each channel. Still looks nothing like cross processing though.

I think the original image has a bit of a split tone to it, but it could be as shot. (maybe that's what others meant by cross processed)

You could start with an action like this one: http://beatsense.deviantart.com/art/unbroken-action-296630227 or edit the one you have to remove the black bars.... However you go about it, any action/preset will need modified/adapted on a by-image basis...

This. even if you have a preset, it's results will vary wildly from shot to shot.

This is why presets suck generally, because you'll only have to go in and tweak it any way. May as well just do some reading up on the subject and create your own. After all... learning's fun, right?

Where's the fun in using presets that others have created for you? It's not even your work... it's the work of whoever created the preset. All you've done is press a button.

God bless the digital age :)

People have started calling this a "Fade" thanks to VSCO - raise the blackpoint up to 25,25,25 RGB or so, and the whitepoint down to 230,230,230 RGB or such.Pooky's curve is pretty much spot on for lightroom. Then throw yellow into the highlights via the split toning section, bring down the Whites slider to -30 ish and knock the highlights slider down a bit as well. Then get your whitebalance adjusted - done.

Would that put blue in all of the blacks (i.e. her shirt/flash shadows)?

Yes, if the curve toe was raised more on the blue channel than it was on the red or green.

Back