Editting Before and After Pics

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I tried to search but no joy, is there a thread that shows a pic before and after editting. I am enjoying looking at everyone's work, but I get the feeling alot of pics posted are editted.

I just want to see pics staright from the camera!!!!

Thanks

Bolly

Why do you want to see unedited versions?

Most people will post photos they like and want to share, in most cases this will mean they have been edited.

Have a look at a few preset websites if you want to see before/after edits of photos.

Hi all

I tried to search but no joy, is there a thread that shows a pic before and after editting. I am enjoying looking at everyone's work, but I get the feeling alot of pics posted are editted.

Thanks

Bolly

Have a look in the Post Processing and Image Editing section. There are a couple of 'how would you edit this?' threads there. And don't fall for the 'if it's been edited there must be something wrong' fallacy. Almost all photos need some editing. Always have done, always will do.

Hi all

Thanks

Bolly

Start your own thread if you want one :)

Straight from the camera however still means that I can shoot in a colour mode which increases the saturation while also boosting greens & reds to make them more vivid (good for landscapes), I can also increase contrast and sharpening.
Or of course I can do it afterwards :)

Hi all

Thanks

Bolly

Not sure what your agenda is. Why would you want to see a pre-finished image?

In answer to those saying "why would you want to" - why would you not? Also I don't see why there would have to be an agenda.

Before and after shots are helpful because they show how the picture was before all the post processing was applied - this is especially useful if the finished article is one you love and can see that the starting point was not that much different form your own work and can act as inspiration. In addition seeing both images can give ideas on what was done to make it the final image.

For the OP - take a look here - its RAW before and afters.

Last edited:
As I shoot Raw, I don't really have a before image as every program I load it into interprets it differently.

In answer to those saying "why would you want to" - why would you not? Also I don't see why there would have to be an agenda.

You wouldn't want to because they are raw images and I just get the hint of a cynical agenda that people have to edit their photos to make them look good and they want to see them before for some reason to make themselves feel better?

Not sure what your agenda is. Why would you want to see a pre-finished image?

There isn't necessarily an agenda, for people starting out it is always difficult to look at the shots on here or Flickr or similar and then compare them to their own. It would definitely be nice to know just how much work people do in post so people could see where to focus there efforts. It maybe that the in camera shots are fine but need the extra work in post to really make them sing or it could be the other way round.

If you want to play agendas I'd say what's your agenda in not wanting to show before and after shots? Why do you want to hide how much work you've done? But then I don't look for hidden agendas!

You wouldn't want to because they are raw images and I just get the hint of a cynical agenda that people have to edit their photos to make them look good and they want to see them before for some reason to make themselves feel better?

Sure as hell makes me feel better when I know something was processed heavily to make it look good, my photoshop skills are terrible and it's nice to know when it's not my fumbling thumbs and shaky arms costing me a shot in the field!

Finally for the OP here is a before and after shot of mine, it's the only one I have online or I'd post more! Nothing to hide here ;)
Before:
IMG_9561_zpsa2f38ce1.jpg

After:

Paddy Field Worker by a1ex2001, on Flickr

Last edited:

yep, lol then they put a jpeg and say - mine are better than yours SooC , not realising that SooC jpegs have a shedload of incamera processing applied :bang:

i'm not saying thats definitely the OPs intention, but we've seen it before on here

If you want to play agendas I'd say what's your agenda in not wanting to show before and after shots? Why do you want to hide how much work you've done? But then I don't look for hidden agendas!

My before and after shots are not worth showing. I shoot in raw and do the minimal processing required (sharpening, touch of highlights/shadows and that is about it) so nothing to hide even if I wanted to. All done via iPhoto which only has basic editing anyway.

Take your point that Bolly may want to see what everyone starts with to compare against their own but even a newcomer to photography could easily use a simple editor like iPhoto and see the improvements.

Alex2001 +1 :)

You know what sod it, I'll bite! :LOL:

As I said before I shoot RAW, I do this to take advantage of the wonderful ability of my Fuji to capture highlights well beyond and other digital camera's range, but it means everything I do has to have a high degree of processing after the fact to use it. Fine by me, I like to tweak anyway and have my own style that needs applying too, so some examples:

bna2_zpsc7f3994d.jpg

bna_zps099ef387.jpg

Now Lightroom is already pretty good with the Fuji's highlights, both before pictures show some detail in the skies, whereas the camera preview the whole lot is blinking.

Thats very kind of you Alan - I always find it amazing to see the difference, especially the sky on the quarry shot.

You know what sod it, I'll bite! :LOL:

As I said before I shoot RAW, I do this to take advantage of the wonderful ability of my Fuji to capture highlights well beyond and other digital camera's range, but it means everything I do has to have a high degree of processing after the fact to use it. Fine by me, I like to tweak anyway and have my own style that needs applying too, so some examples:

Now Lightroom is already pretty good with the Fuji's highlights, both before pictures show some detail in the skies, whereas the camera preview the whole lot is blinking.

That really does show off the highlight the ability of your Fuji brilliantly, a good example of why a thread like this is interesting to see. Your post processing has really made the difference here and shows just what can be done with the right equipment, software and skills. (Not to mention understanding decent compositions when you pressed the shutter button!)

Last edited:
Hi all

Thanks

Bolly

You could always start a thread: "show us your before and after". I'm sure it would be quite popular in the PP section.

lol, Phil you could be right - but the idea is sound.

Most people don't have an agenda though and just want to learn - that after all is the point if these forums is it not?

Thank you EVERYBODY!

I thought a ''Show us your before and after'' thread would already be kicking around, and that is what I wanted.

Ernesto - I get what you are hinting at, but it is not that. I justy wanted to compare my stuff against others 'start' point before I move onto editing. Always interested in the process.

For example - I was heavily into the VW/Audi modification scene at one stage (saddly the fiance is putting a curb to all that!!!) and I enjoyed going to a show and seeing a finished model, and knowing what work has been done because I knew where the owner started (lets say a Corrado for example) and I can see where its been lowered, or smoothed or if it had Porcshe wheels, or a bentley interior or another modification. Now, someone who wasn't into cars may not realise the work that would have gone into making it all fit and work. It would be just a shiny 10year old car...

Anyway...I am just waffling on! I think most get what I was tring to achive!

A1ex2001 - Paddy Worker is great example of how editting can turn a pic around.

Alan - The skies look amazing! I'd go nuts trying to get that straight from the camera!

See, I can't tell if its editted or straight from the camera....unless its obvious.

Bolly

Didn't realise there was a discussion going on about editing...

Anybody can compose and press a button. Photography in that respect, is pretty easy. Ok, you need to be able to see something and have a bit of imagination... but this can be had without even having a lesson in photography.

The skill lies in PP.

Similar to video and making movies, the credit should actually be going to the editor as much as the director since they make the movie what it is.

Breaks the theme slightly as its bracketed shots but the same principle applies
Before :
7098379271_cf22d739ae_z_d.jpg

6952307004_1ddd790837_z_d.jpg

7098378173_76b946bba2_z_d.jpg

After :

6950860328_302f39349f_c_d.jpg

See, I can't tell if its editted or straight from the camera....unless its obvious.

Bolly

I think the thing is with digital photography, ALL the images are post processed (even by the camera to get a JPG, and you can change the settings on that to what you want in the camera). This is one of many reasons why people shoot in RAW as it allows more control of the finished item and is closer to the unprocessed file. A true unprocessed image from a digital camera is a long list of 1's and 0's.

Just as you would have looked at tutorials to begin with to find out how to hide wires in the engine bay, or fit porsche wheels on your VW, there are tutorials out there (some really good ones in the tutorial section here) that will tell you what to look for and how to achieve them.

Provided you can look objectively at your own photo's then you should pick up quickly what looks good and bad. The best thing about digital PP is that you can try different settings and it doesn't cost you anything other than time/effort.

I think the thing is with digital photography, ALL the images are post processed (even by the camera to get a JPG, and you can change the settings on that to what you want in the camera). This is one of many reasons why people shoot in RAW as it allows more control of the finished item and is closer to the unprocessed file. A true unprocessed image from a digital camera is a long list of 1's and 0's.

This (y)

although that said that was also true of film - it had to be developed and processed in the dark room - or at the processors. no finished shot is ever truly unprocessed

Ernesto - I get what you are hinting at, but it is not that. I justy wanted to compare my stuff against others 'start' point before I move onto editing. Always interested in the process.

Apologies for being so sceptical.

I think it's an interesting idea seeing before and after photos. It gives you ideas and also people can learn from it if the process used has been submitted. We can 'see' what works on a personal level.
JohnyT

I think the images posted are a great example to show someone who's new to digital photography, to see what can be achieved.
With the greatest of respect to the photographers, the before images really aren't all that great (IMHO) and a newbie may well just not bother looking at them any further, not realising just how much you can turn them around into great shots (y)

Before
IMG_9518_zpsde3bda3e.jpg

After

Castle Howard by Rob Hooley, on Flickr

Quick crop and straighten
Bit of cloning on dust spots etx
Converted in Silver Efex 2

Back