EE Dongle

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I used my EE wifi dongle yesterday at Brighton v Palace but that's the second time in a row (the other time at Fulham) that it hasn't worked properly. Trouble connecting, and once it finally connects, I get super slow speeds that are about 15 kb/s. Takes ages to FTP one picture over to the agency. Just spoke to EE and they explained that in stadiums with that many thousands of fans it'll always be problematic with the connection because of all of the phones/devices all trying to connect. So they cancelled the contract for me as it's not fit for purpose. Ended up trying my mobile in the end last night but that more or less had the same problem. Tried an ethernet cable and that worked fine.

Wondering what everyone else uses and could recommend?

Liam recommended this one : http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

Loathe to get it though if it suffered from the same problem.

TIA,
Wez

Amex Stadium is notoriously bad for signal. Certainly wouldn't have been because of the amount of fans there last night... as there weren't any!

They have wired connections pitchside there? I'd always go for those over a dongle is available.

I'd say the Amex is an exception. A full Twickenham was the only other place I had difficulty sending from, from what I recall.

I have a Netgear Aircard 785, on Vodafone, but also have a spare PAYG 3 sim, and a collection of other PAYG for different countries, if the Vodafone roaming doesn't work.

Amex Stadium is notoriously bad for signal. Certainly wouldn't have been because of the amount of fans there last night... as there weren't any!

Haha, you're not wrong there! :D

Did use Ethernet for the second half, as one port became available where someone moved from. I'll take a look at that Netgear one, thanks for the recommendation (y)

P.S. I looked at a load of reviews of my one today and a lot of people say the same thing about the poor connectivity.

Fastest and most reliable connection i have ever had is......... using my phone as a hotspot... 4g (on THREE) is faster than my sky broadband at home.. 1 bill for phone is better then 2 bills for phone and dongle..

Fastest and most reliable connection i have ever had is......... using my phone as a hotspot... 4g (on THREE) is faster than my sky broadband at home.. 1 bill for phone is better then 2 bills for phone and dongle..

Tried that both times on my iPhone with 4g on THREE and it's failed me both times :(

That said, my phone works fine at Non-League grounds as a personal hotspot. It's been problematic at Fulham and Brighton so it must be something to do with what they said about too many people.

When I go to the Emirates to watch an Arsenal game, I can never get online there either on my iPhone. Calls and texts work fine but just cannot use the internet at all, must be the same problem?

When I go to the Emirates to watch an Arsenal game, I can never get online there either on my iPhone. Calls and texts work fine but just cannot use the internet at all, must be the same problem?
Thats because everyone is on the internet or forums typing "Wenger Out!!!!" :D

Realistically, different areas have different signal strengths from different providers. EE are generally good, followed by Vodaphone. In stadiums, if you can connect to the wired it's going to work better, outside I seem to usually be able to pick up a BT wifi connection.

Ethernet cable is great if you don't need to move! (untangling the cable from round the other snappers from 30/50m at half time is a ball ache though!).

I have a O2 loaded mifi unit which is great at lower division grounds but Premier forget it due, to as you say to bandwidth issues. They will go but it takes an age.

Huddersfield Town have fantastic press WIFI as well as Ethernet & it's blistering I sometimes have to check I've sent the pics on the FTP as they have gone as soon as dragged in lol. Regards Graham.

Huddersfield Town have fantastic press WIFI as well as Ethernet & it's blistering I sometimes have to check I've sent the pics on the FTP as they have gone as soon as dragged in lol. Regards Graham.

:D

Same at Brighton, when I got hold of an Ethernet port, the upload speeds were coming in at 100mb - lightning!

I frequently used a small TPLink battery powered wifi router when there was an ethernet socket available. This broadcast a wifi signal that I could connect to from my laptop, and that nobody else could use, removing the need for a cable from the port to the laptop.

Take a look here for all the details: http://tobinators.com/blog/2014/06/techniques/brazil-9-days-to-go-plus-a-bit-of-rugby/

Thank you Tobers, will take a look at that in a sec. Like you say though "when there's an Ethernet socket available". I didn't see any sockets at Fulham and did ask a couple of stewards that didn't know :(

So, I assume that all mifi dongles are going to perform the same way as the one I've cancelled? I've looked at the Netgear one that @Seba suggested and it seems great. £100 down the pan though if it's the same as the EE one I have/used.

:D

Same at Brighton, when I got hold of an Ethernet port, the upload speeds were coming in at 100mb - lightning!

Thank you Tobers, will take a look at that in a sec. Like you say though "when there's an Ethernet socket available". I didn't see any sockets at Fulham and did ask a couple of stewards that didn't know :(

So, I assume that all mifi dongles are going to perform the same way as the one I've cancelled? I've looked at the Netgear one that @Seba suggested and it seems great. £100 down the pan though if it's the same as the EE one I have/used.

Fulham doesn't have sockets pitchside no. The wifi reaches pitchside sometimes but when it does it's weak.

Funnily enough my EE dongle is my go too option at Fulham and it seems to work ok.

Back