Name
Donna
Edit My Images
No
for which lens shall I go?

What do you guys think about these:

Canon 70-200mm f4 L USM or

Canon 75-300mm f4 - 5.6 IS USM

Was going for the Sigma 70-300mm APO macro a little while back - but never got round to it. I've now decided to spend a little bit more. Ideally it would've been the 70-200 F2.8 L IS USM but that's a bit out of reach at the moment :crying:

So which is best? I want to be able to photograph motorsport and wildlife. Will the IS be the better bet even if it won't reach so far???

Your opinions please guys and girls. Thanks ;)

Not wishing to jump in here, but I may be selling my Canon 70-300 IS, virtually unused, bought from Kerso about 10 weeks ago (I may be going for the 70-200 F4..)
For me, it is a little too long and big, and it just doesn't get used at all - I think I have taken about 15 shots with it..
Where are you based - the lens is currently in Spain, but I will be going home then returning so can bring it later this month if you want to try it out for a while to see if you like it..

From what little I know, the 75-300 is not as good as the 70-300, by the way..

that sounds interesting Steve, just been looking at the lenses - is that the one with DO (whatever that is? LOL)
complete newbie to all this - sorry.

Unfortunately, I'm not about much end of the month. But I'd definitely be interested if you're selling - if that's the one I decide to go for! Thanks.

Another vote for the 70-300 here LP (y) It really is a cracking lens. The IS is invaluable. As Steve said, the 75-300 by comparison wasn't a patch on the 70-300 that succeeded it :shake:

Another vote for the 70-300 here LP (y) It really is a cracking lens. The IS is invaluable. As Steve said, the 75-300 by comparison wasn't a patch on the 70-300 that succeeded it :shake:

And will that be fast enough for motorsport???

This lens business is too confusing - so the Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM is the one that you're talking about???

I took these with a 70-300 last year......

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

I can't vouch for the 70-300 as I've never had one but I can say that there is a world of difference between the 70-200 f/4L and the 75-300.
I don't think I ever got a worthwhile shot above about 150mm with the 75-300. I have both the 70-200's and mostly use the 2.8 but cannot get myself to part with the f/4.....kind of like an old girlfriend, you have a new one but can't stand the thought of anybody else getting the old one. (I don't have any girlfriend now....my wife strictly forbids it!)

The 70-200 f/4 is probably the best value for money L class lens that I've ever had.

Bob

Oh and yes, it's the 70-300 f4.5-5.6 IS USM ;)

I had the 70-300 IS and it is a nice lens with good IQ but I found the AF to be quite slow, the other little bug that annoyed me with it was the extending focus ring which was a pain.

I can't vouch for the 70-300 as I've never had one but I can say that there is a world of difference between the 70-200 f/4L and the 75-300.
I don't think I ever got a worthwhile shot above about 150mm with the 75-300. I have both the 70-200's and mostly use the 2.8 but cannot get myself to part with the f/4.....kind of like an old girlfriend, you have a new one but can't stand the thought of anybody else getting the old one. (I don't have any girlfriend now....my wife strictly forbids it!)

The 70-200 f/4 is probably the best value for money L class lens that I've ever had.

Bob

Good post Bob.

Taking into account you are Lady LP the 70-200 F.4 would be more suitable as it is very light and the images are nothing less than razor sharp...

Also check out the reviews before you buy. Sorry guy's it blows the 75-300 away..;)

Taking into account you are Lady LP the 70-200 F.4 would be more suitable as it is very light and the images are nothing less than razor sharp...

I do go to the gym :LOL::LOL:

I have read the reviews and they are good, you've confused me more now :nuts: but I was steering towards to the 70-300because of the IS. I want take motorsport shots and felt that perhaps having the IS was a good thing????:shrug:

I knew I shouldn't have asked :bonk::nuts::LOL:

I do go to the gym :LOL::LOL:

I have read the reviews and they are good, you've confused me more now :nuts: but I was steering towards to the 70-300because of the IS. I want take motorsport shots and felt that perhaps having the IS was a good thing????:shrug:

Hey its your money LP. You decide and get what you want,;)

We are just chucking a few of our findings in there to help.. Or not in this case..:LOL:

LP just to clarify, the 70-300 f4.5-5.6 IS USM is a smaller and lighter lens than the 70-200 f4L

canon70-300non-do%5b1%5d.jpg

canon_70-200_4L_usm_lens_big%5b1%5d.jpg

Even with it's couple of faults I wish I hadn't sold it cause it is fairly light for walking around with and the IQ was great, I certainly never regreted buying it.

70-200mm looks better though. Not helping really am I?

Any LP, what's all this about motorsport - they don't let you put up big black pieces of card for your backgrounds you know :D

Hi Lady pitstop,

The 70-200 f4 'L' is an amazing piece of glass the colour, contrast and sharpness is second to non, remember it's an 'L', the professionals choice, they really are in a league of there own the build quality is like no other lens whereas the 70-300 is just another consumer lens, it's simple stunning, but be warned, once used, you'll be spoilt, very very lenses are as good.

Alan

I want take motorsport shots and felt that perhaps having the IS was a good thing????:shrug:

Personally I never use the IS with motorsports. Mode two is supposed to be effective with panning shots but I can't see the difference to be honest.

The F4L 70-200 is a fanastic lens. I sold mine recently and wish I hadn't. In good light it walks all over comparable lenses.

IS is nt really a useful tool for motorsports. Mode 1 IS is good for static shots and mode 2 is supposed to look one axis which implies that it would be good for panning. This would only apply if you were level with the action and panning horizontally. In reality, you'd be taking shots of cars/bikes approaching and generally that involves 2 axis movement.
I take shots of aircraft and always have IS off.

One further advantage of the 70-200 is that it will take Canon T/cons should you wish to double your lens arsenal...bear in mind that by the time you've bought the lens you'll only be able to afford the cheaper seats further from the action.

It also makes a suprisingly good close up lens with an EF12 or EF25 behind it.

As I alluded to before....I have 7 L class lenses and this is/was by far the best value for money (based on new prices)

Bob

PS...You could always cop out and use your phone to take the shots!

Lady P - as I said, if you want to try it out, then as long as you cover postage, I am happy to lend it to you for a week or so. I can't say if it will be good enough for your sort of pictures, but be aware that the front does extend a fair way, thus making it a fairly long thing, and what I don't like. I am learning the hard way that buying a lens is something that ought to be done by trying it out first - I find it too big and obtrusive, but for motorsports that is no problem.
As for the 'DO' bit - that is the lens that is smaller, via some internal focussing thingie - costs a lot more money, and maybe is worth me looking at - mine is not the 'DO' one.
Good luck choosing..!

I'd go for the 70-200 if it were me, no contest at all IMHO. Those lenses are in a league of their own - I would however miss the IS option for everyday shooting if I'm honest (not so much use for fast paced sports though) - is there any way that you could raise the extra for the f4 IS version?

Canon EF 70-300 IS (note not the 75-300) is bang for buck the best Canon lens I have played with to date - and I've played with quite a few now!

Its a bit soft at the long end, but certainly below 200mm it is corking.

For just over 300 quid brand new and with the latest generation of IS, I don't think you can better it!

If you want to pay twice that the 70-200 F4 IS is pretty good but is it 300 quid better? No doubt this is where those who have spunked their money in this direction will wade in and tell us just how wonderful it truly is, but unless you have some sort of business planned on this, go for the 70-300 IS - if nothing else you can sell it for 98% of what you bought it for if you hate it as the lens is in big demand and short supply still.

I'd say it has to be the 70-200. It's as good as everyone says it is you never seem to hear a less than hugely complimentary word said about it. For motorsport shots, you'll really appriciate the faster focusing and if you can get a 1.4 TC to go with it, you have a 100(ish)-280 f5.6 as well. Which I suspect would still significantly out perform the 75-300.

Any LP, what's all this about motorsport - they don't let you put up big black pieces of card for your backgrounds you know :D

Aww don't they? I've been and bought a REALLY BIG piece as well!!! :LOL::LOL:

One further advantage of the 70-200 is that it will take Canon T/cons should you wish to double your lens arsenal...bear in mind that by the time you've bought the lens you'll only be able to afford the cheaper seats further from the action.

It also makes a suprisingly good close up lens with an EF12 or EF25 behind it.

PS...You could always cop out and use your phone to take the shots!

That's handy to know. LOL at the cheaper seats comment. Not a problem - go to a few trackdays where you can get close!! and interesting about good at close ups too.

thanks for your constructive comments everyone. There's quite a lot to ponder on - I may just go and have a look at them but at the mo I think I may be swaying towards the 70-200L.

I'll let you know what I decide but do appreciate all your input (y)(y)

Im gonna go for the 70-200 too (for motorsport and sport). Got a very good quote from Ian (Kerso), I recommend getting a quote off him before you decide to buy. Just need to sell my Sigma APO 70-300 now to help fund it.

I have a question myself regarding the 2 lenses. If you add the 1.4 teleconvertor on the 70-200 will this make it a slower lens that the 70-300? Or does the quality of the l glass make it worth getting the 70-200 even when using the teleconvertor????????

IMHO, the 70-200 copes well with a 1.4x T/C (but not the 2x)

The glass is well worth knocking up the ISO a bit if you need speed but the 70-300 is 5.6 at the long end so they then become equal.

To add a little shot from the 70-200 f/4
BIF_2.jpg

Bob

In terms of f numbers, you end up in the same place, at f5.6. As for focusing speed, I've never noticed a significant loss with a 1.4tc on.

Motorsport is a little different to other sorts of photography is all I will say...

Ask some of the motorsport section regulars if you want some good advice.

On the subject of distance to your subject, that really depends on the circuit and where you can find that hasn't got bloody great catch fences in the way (remember kids, motorsport is dangerous ;-))

Most circuits IMHO you need at least 300mm even for cars (and bikes are much smaller, a silly statement you may think but not in reality!) except for Brands Hatch where you can get quite a few decent places in the 100-200mm range, even for bikes!

-))

Most circuits IMHO you need at least 300mm even for cars (and bikes are much smaller, a silly statement you may think but not in reality!) except for Brands Hatch where you can get quite a few decent places in the 100-200mm range, even for bikes!

It's mainly at Brands that'll I be so the 200 would be ok? and it'll be cars that I'll be (trying) to shoot!! :D

Yeah the 70-300 IS or the L 70-200 IS F4 would be a good lens for Brands - either of them work just fine.

IMHO its the best circuit for photography due to lack of catch fences and nearness of track in many places.

If you want to look like you know what you are doing get the white one, if you want to have some cash left over for your season pass and some programmes, get the black one.

Have a look at some of my pics - many of them are taken with the 70-300....

Well guys and gals, I've bitten the bullet and made a decision - I've just ordered the 70-200 f4 L USM from Kerso - really good price - so I'm sitting by the front door waiting for delivery :LOL::LOL:

Thanks again for all your valuable input - mucho appreciatio :D;)

I'm sure you'll de very happy with the results. As you can see, I'm also waiting for a delivery!

IMG_0856_2.jpg
:LOL:

Back