Eglobal be warned

Edit My Images
Yes
For those of you that have or plan on buying from them, they no longer sell without tax and vat charges so probably not worth buying from them. Recently bought the Eos m, 2 lenses and flash for £255 then DHL charged £56 tax and vat before Eglobal brought in their new T & C'S, though still a good deal so far they don't seem to want to be responsible even though at the time of sale they guaranteed no tax or vat charges, so won't be buying from them again.
ad_choices_i_UR.png

Just noticed digital rev are also saying import duties are now down to the customer, looks like no more grey imports then:rolleyes: good news for jessops etc, anyone know why this has all stopped?

Just noticed digital rev are also saying import duties are now down to the customer, looks like no more grey imports then:rolleyes: good news for jessops etc, anyone know why this has all stopped?

That's an interesting development for such a big company, it's fairly well buried in their T&Cs as well, particularly as it would be easy to assume otherwise based on some of the more prominent policies on the site such as...

We keep things simple, for you.

One price - simple, easy, straightforward - the way it should be. What you see is what you pay. There is no add-ons during checkout, no additional charge for using credit card or PayPal, no minimum order amount for free shipping, no surcharge for remote areas, no extra for shipping insurance. Some of of competitors go extra miles to make things complicated. They believe in confusing you. At DigitalRev, we don't do any of these. We believe in making things as simple, as transparent, and as easy as possible for our customers.

because they started getting caught :wacky: come on they and others like them have been misinforming customs, and now customs have caught up with them. and unless your really stupid you knew this before your order. ALL imports into the uk have tax applied if your lucky you get away with it, if not pay up. sorry but these companies have been killing the uk market for years now they are getting sussed out the only one out of pocket will be you.

Well you cant blame people for saving up £400 by buying from HK but seems those days are coming to an end , bad news for HK good for UK retailers

because they started getting caught :wacky: come on they and others like them have been misinforming customs, and now customs have caught up with them. and unless your really stupid you knew this before your order. ALL imports into the uk have tax applied if your lucky you get away with it, if not pay up. sorry but these companies have been killing the uk market for years now they are getting sussed out the only one out of pocket will be you.

well most of us just buy, who looks into the ins, outs, import , export duties, right/wrong, who cares??? You can buy illegal things in the UK without knowing it so lets not get on a moral high ground. who asks is this legal to buy this? When buying things, lets be honest. People look for best deal and thats all and when your saving £300 or so what do you expect?. Not out of pocket either still £200 cheaper than jessops and legal

Last edited:
Well I have just been through the ringer with a large (to me) purcase about this very same issue.

Do I buy grey import and save a few hundred quid

Or

Buy in the UK at full retail price

I decided that because I was spending £3k I would prefer to hand the cash (card) over in person because although the importers promise no charges I think that its only luck that gets them through customs. But the other thing I couldnt really understand and tried to have explained are the warranties which are nearly always maked as "Seller Warranty"

So for the few hundred quid extra i paid i got some stuff free and some fantastic advise and now I have actually asked the retailer if i could exchange something because i think i bought the wrong thing for me they have told me its no problem at all come back at my convenience. Could that have been said with a foreign retailer? I think some would but some wouldnt give you the time of day.

Another thing that I think i discovered while looking for the equipment on a famous auction site was that some retailers with very high feedback scores and are UK based are little more than agents for the Hong Kong companies. Acting like a middle man and probably taking a very small cut but over lots of transactions they will do well.

I once had to have some equipment replaced under an insurance claim and they said they would only pay out to the value of the cheapest online retailer until i pointed out to them that they are encouraging tax evasion and they soon changed their mind and said they would only pay out to the the value of the cheapest uk retailer.

Just my take on grey imports.

well most of us just buy, who looks into the ins, outs, import , export duties, right/wrong, who cares??? You can buy illegal things in the UK without knowing it so lets not get on a moral high ground. who asks is this legal to buy this? When buying things, lets be honest. People look for best deal and thats all and when your saving £300 or so what do you expect?. Not out of pocket either still £200 cheaper than jessops and legal

Agree with that. MOST people don't expect there to be any problems & probably don't even realise they could have extra taxes/handling charges etc to pay & maybe don't understand possible warranty issues, but imo that's why it's important to point these issues out. Nothing to do with moral high ground.
(strange that DR seem to have changed tack, but it's still not clearly pointed out to folk....especially if someone has previously purchased from them, so wouldn't expect any extra charges)

Well I have just been through the ringer with a large (to me) purcase about this very same issue.

Or

I decided that because I was spending £3k I would prefer to hand the cash (card) over in person because although the importers promise no charges I think that its only luck that gets them through customs. But the other thing I couldnt really understand and tried to have explained are the warranties which are nearly always maked as "Seller Warranty"

So for the few hundred quid extra i paid i got some stuff free and some fantastic advise and now I have actually asked the retailer if i could exchange something because i think i bought the wrong thing for me they have told me its no problem at all come back at my convenience. Could that have been said with a foreign retailer? I think some would but some wouldnt give you the time of day.

Another thing that I think i discovered while looking for the equipment on a famous auction site was that some retailers with very high feedback scores and are UK based are little more than agents for the Hong Kong companies. Acting like a middle man and probably taking a very small cut but over lots of transactions they will do well.

I once had to have some equipment replaced under an insurance claim and they said they would only pay out to the value of the cheapest online retailer until i pointed out to them that they are encouraging tax evasion and they soon changed their mind and said they would only pay out to the the value of the cheapest uk retailer.

if i was spending that kind of money i would do likewise but most dont spend that kind of money on taking pictures

Last edited:

Or

if i was spending that kind of money i would do likewise but most dont spend that kind of money on taking pictures

Had an email from eglobal and they are going to refund the £56 so good on them for that.

A colleague at work got a nikon 3200 with 2 lenses bundle from eglobal delivered last week. I had said to be aware there could be customs charges but he hasn't had any additional costs as yet.

17. Import, VAT & Customs

17.1 To simplify the process of buying internationally, eglobal central choose to handle the process of custom clearance for customers. By purchasing products through eglobal central, you authorise eglobal central to make arrangements for clearance of customs on your behalf for the products in your order. As importing products from overseas can be a hassle for most of our customers, we organise this process for you. We then provide you with fast local shipping to deliver the goods to your door. As a result, prices shown on this website are the final total you have to pay to have the order delivered to your door, without any hidden charges and customs delay.

17.2 After 3 month of receiving the goods and clearing customs, eGlobal Central will not be held responsible for any custom related fees.

Looks like things have changed slightly. The way it is now worded would suggest that as long as you make them aware of additional fees within 3 months of it clearing customs, they are responsible.

17. Import, VAT & Customs

17.1 To simplify the process of buying internationally, eglobal central choose to handle the process of custom clearance for customers. By purchasing products through eglobal central, you authorise eglobal central to make arrangements for clearance of customs on your behalf for the products in your order. As importing products from overseas can be a hassle for most of our customers, we organise this process for you. We then provide you with fast local shipping to deliver the goods to your door. As a result, prices shown on this website are the final total you have to pay to have the order delivered to your door, without any hidden charges and customs delay.

17.2 After 3 month of receiving the goods and clearing customs, eGlobal Central will not be held responsible for any custom related fees.

So why the need for 17.2 if they have paid everything in the first place? :confused:

Looks like things have changed slightly. The way it is now worded would suggest that as long as you make them aware of additional fees within 3 months of it clearing customs, they are responsible.

TBH, it doesn't sound to me like much has changed really. ;)

Sometimes extra customs charges are added.

I know what you are saying, but if they state;

We then provide you with fast local shipping to deliver the goods to your door. As a result, prices shown on this website are the final total you have to pay to have the order delivered to your door, without any hidden charges and customs delay.

There should be no need for 17.2

It just sounds like ............ they will pay if caught (within 3 months)

Instead of the import duties, get a plane ticket and have a nice holiday.

Back