Electric Viking you tube chanel

Anyone watch this one?
fascinating stuff going into all the EV stories arround the globe
how battery technology is just going to overtake ICE in the next year alone

In the next year? Really? Really honestly truly? Maybe but I believe it when I see it.

I've watched a lot of electric car reviews and nothing I've seen yet could get me into one. One thing I would like to see is less reliance on screens. I'm sure I remember a time when a screen within view of the driver wasn't allowed but maybe I'm remembering wrongly. I do think that having to view a screen and possibly go several levels in to do basic functions should be legislated away.

watch his chanel @woof woof there is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that mainstream car makers
just dont want to talk about , have you seen the new dacia EV coming out this year under £15k for the basic, the lux version will be £18k

look up CATL batteries, staggering how the price is falling

also stop watching car reviews they just reflect what car makers were thinking 2 years ago
the market is going to explode in the next year on battery costs

Last edited:
You mentioned battery tech and the next year. All I can say is I'll believe it when I see it.

My oldest car is 23 years old and my newest is 9 years old. When battery technology solves the range, charging, infrastructure, weight, longevity, environmental impact, cost and exploitation issues... Then I may be interested but even then as above I'm not interested in driving an ev if it involves taking my eye off the road and jabbing at a tablet screen multiple times to do basic things such as control the air con.

One thing to keep in mind is that the electric Viking channel is overly optimistic very pro-EV channel. I'm sure you can find equally un-optimistic views from other channel.

In UK, there is ZEV mandate, slowly increasing minimum number of ZEV sales from this year, starting at 22%. BEV price will only go one way as people who want them already got them and people who don't want them will resist in every possible way imaginable.

But ...... another EV thread and already got old (range, charging, exploitation issues), outdated (infrastructure, longevity, cost) and plain wrong (environmental impact) stipulations. If you don't want one and never buy car under 5 years old, it's not likely to affect your car choices for next 10+ years.

End of the day, the choice is still there for next 10+ years. We don't need every man to post their personal reasons as though it is an attack on their personal liberty.

Reactions: nog
The new models from Kia are looking very affordable, the EV2 with 400 miles range for £25k is just one.

As to batteries, the technology is evolving so fast it's hard to keep up. Sodium Ion batteries are just coming on the market and have many advantages over Lithium (not using Lithium for example ), that tech is not perfected yet but as I said it's evolving so fast.

Still do not have an adequate charging network. Until we get battery technology, that is quick to charge coupled with adequate range, I think we're a long way off seeing the back of the ICE.

As to batteries, the technology is evolving so fast it's hard to keep up. Sodium Ion batteries are just coming on the market and have many advantages over Lithium (not using Lithium for example ), that tech is not perfected yet but as I said it's evolving so fast.
I fear you might be being seduced by marketing hype

Still do not have an adequate charging network. Until we get battery technology, that is quick to charge coupled with adequate range, I think we're a long way off seeing the back of the ICE.

Adequate range... The average UK private daily use of a car is just 9 miles.

As for Electric Viking, I don't follow his channel but have seen a few of his vids, they aren't usually too relevant to me what with him being in Australia (and I find the accent grates a bit) but he does his research and is not prone to posting fairy tales.

As for Electric Viking, I don't follow his channel but have seen a few of his vids, they aren't usually too relevant to me what with him being in Australia (and I find the accent grates a bit) but he does his research and is not prone to posting fairy tales.

he is very good at his facts and while he is very pro EV it is the way that the battery market truly is going balistic with new chemistry and the fact that the price of lithium is in the toilet due to massive over production

I know four people who have EV's and they all say its utter rubbish and they will not swap back, every day the car is full (they all home charge) 2 of them are on octupus home EV tarif and it is making there fuel cost barely worth even adding up its so cheap.... one thing that is coming in the next 12.24 months that will scare the hell our of ICE car users and makers is how much cheaper EVs are going to become ,. all this I can't afford an EV? soon they will be cheaper than ICE cars all round, you will pay extra for ICE..... lol

Ive seen a few utube vids which say a number of major manufacturers are pulling out of the EV market guess its just who you want to believe. You pays your money and you take your pick

Ive seen a few utube vids which say a number of major manufacturers are pulling out of the EV market guess its just who you want to believe. You pays your money and you take your pick

China is meting down due to over saturation, there are 100s of companies making EVs over there and it is just causing the market to go a bit crazy also the race to the bottom on price is causing the higher end companies to collapse. There is also a great deal of over production.

The Americans are also in trouble because there car market in general is crashing and out of control, companies over there just can't sell cars and EV's which are more expensive over there as no one drives a regular sized car are getting pushed out on price , also Biden has put in place some ridiculousness rules that just don't make sense in there auto market so there is a lot of push back.

Last edited:
Adequate range... The average UK private daily use of a car is just 9 miles.
Lies, damned lies and statistics . . .

I'm retired, and sometimes go several days without using my car at all, but on some days I drive 300+ miles at a time, which is a bit over half the range of my diesel car. That average of 9 miles a day could, at a pinch, apply to me, but it is irrelevant.

One of the odd thing that also seems to be getting talked about is how much Tesla are dropping there prices and this is causing instant issues in the EV
market place , for years Tesla have lead the world in the EV at a certain price point and other manufacturers have lined up behind to produce cars at about that level.
Suddenly the price rug has been pulled out from underneath these big boys and they are seriously in trouble.

Elon Musk is playing a blinder , dominate the market then eliminate your competition

Reactions: zx9

yeah a lot of the big American markets are pretty much walking away from EV but there were not serious about EV anyhow it was inconvenient to them.

Key with EV is that you charge when you have parked, which is overwhelming majority of a vehicle's lifetime (https://milta.co/2017/11/20/95-of-a-cars-lifetime-is-spent-parked-2/). You charge at your destination, you don't need to go somewhere to charge up for your daily needs. Once that petrol station mentality is gone, it becomes clear that we have more than enough en-route rapid charging infrastructure across Europe, anywhere you might want to drive as UK resident.

Just today, government announced funding to help allowing more people without driveways to access destination charging:

For example, I'll be driving a fully loaded BEV with 5 people and our things from London to Isle of Skye in May. There will be absolutely zero problem driving 1000 miles in 2 days, 500 miles going up and 500 miles coming down. On Isle of Skye, only if I can't charge overnight, I'll need to seek out the lacklustre rapid charging infrastructure on the island, there' 4 rapid chargers across the whole island...... But as long as I can charge a tiny bit overnight, it's more than enough to go anywhere nearby.

I know four people who have EV's and they all say its utter rubbish and they will not swap back, every day the car is full (they all home charge) 2 of them are on octupus home EV tarif and it is making there fuel cost barely worth even adding up its so cheap.... one thing that is coming in the next 12.24 months that will scare the hell our of ICE car users and makers is how much cheaper EVs are going to become ,. all this I can't afford an EV? soon they will be cheaper than ICE cars all round, you will pay extra for ICE..... lol
You know 5 now :D

Lies, damned lies and statistics . . .

I'm retired, and sometimes go several days without using my car at all, but on some days I drive 300+ miles at a time, which is a bit over half the range of my diesel car. That average of 9 miles a day could, at a pinch, apply to me, but it is irrelevant.
Might be irrelevant to you but it's a genuine general statistic that refutes the inadequate range worry for most potential EV drivers. I've said before but I'll repeat, I drive for work and do 200-250 miles a day and I have no issues with doing that. When/If I retire I will do much much less mileage on average with only the odd long range trip and I am well used to trip planning so it will not be a problem.

Question, on your 300 miles a day trips do you stop anywhere? a toilet break? maybe you're near a charger and could plug in for 20 minutes.

Before I started driving electric I had the same worries that every ice driver has and made the same wrong assumptions and made the same statements about "I will only go electric when I can do xxx miles on a charge".
When "most" people actually sit down and work out what driving they really do they find even a shorter range EV will suit them just fine.
It's moot anyway as EV range is increasing all the time, I mentioned the EV2 above which will go 400 miles and will be on sale in the UK this year. Another year on and the range question will not even come up.

For example, I'll be driving a fully loaded BEV with 5 people and our things from London to Isle of Skye in May. There will be absolutely zero problem driving 1000 miles in 2 days, 500 miles going up and 500 miles coming down. On Isle of Skye, only if I can't charge overnight, I'll need to seek out the lacklustre rapid charging infrastructure on the island, there' 4 rapid chargers across the whole island...... But as long as I can charge a tiny bit overnight, it's more than enough to go anywhere nearby.

There's 7* now, should be 8 but the one in Dunvegan suffered some wind damage and is turned off till it gets remounted.
* plus two in Kyle..

Last edited:
Might be irrelevant to you but it's a genuine general statistic that refutes the inadequate range worry for most potential EV drivers. I've said before but I'll repeat, I drive for work and do 200-250 miles a day and I have no issues with doing that. When/If I retire I will do much much less mileage on average with only the odd long range trip and I am well used to trip planning so it will not be a problem.

Question, on your 300 miles a day trips do you stop anywhere? a toilet break? maybe you're near a charger and could plug in for 20 minutes.

Before I started driving electric I had the same worries that every ice driver has and made the same wrong assumptions and made the same statements about "I will only go electric when I can do xxx miles on a charge".
When "most" people actually sit down and work out what driving they really do they find even a shorter range EV will suit them just fine.
It's moot anyway as EV range is increasing all the time, I mentioned the EV2 above which will go 400 miles and will be on sale in the UK this year. Another year on and the range question will not even come up.
I've been known to stop for a toilet break, but very rarely do so,

I fully accept that electric vehicles can be the right choice for some people, but not for me, because:
1. They are too expensive for me, and the depreciation rates are too high
2. Maintenance and repair costs are too high, and at present very few repairers seem to exist
3. Insurance costs are too high
4. Range limitations, especially when towing something
5. Impossible to charge them when towing something
6. Cannot recharge at home
7. Not enough charging points in working order
8. High recharging costs when unable to charge at home
9. Technology is still immature, up to a point it's always the wrong time to spend a lot of money on emerging technology, but in the case of electric cars it obviously makes sense to wait for improvements.

I've been known to stop for a toilet break, but very rarely do so,

I fully accept that electric vehicles can be the right choice for some people, but not for me, because:
1. They are too expensive for me, and the depreciation rates are too high
2. Maintenance and repair costs are too high, and at present very few repairers seem to exist
3. Insurance costs are too high
4. Range limitations, especially when towing something
5. Impossible to charge them when towing something
6. Cannot recharge at home
7. Not enough charging points in working order
8. High recharging costs when unable to charge at home
9. Technology is still immature, up to a point it's always the wrong time to spend a lot of money on emerging technology, but in the case of electric cars it obviously makes sense to wait for improvements.
All bar the last one are good reasons.
If you go the 'wait for the technology to improve' route you'll never buy anything, there's always that one thing just around the corner, like with cameras...

The battery war coming over the next few years will just make the whole issue go away
there is already a 1000 mile EV battery in production.

in two years we will see affordable EVs with 500 miles as standard

one guy i watched recently did admit that used EV prices are going to plummet as the tech evolves and new prices tumble

one guy i watched recently did admit that used EV prices are going to plummet as the tech evolves and new prices tumble

It's the same with all emerging technology, early adopters pay premium prices and then the price falls so that everybody can afford it.

Reactions: Nod
It's the same with all emerging technology, early adopters pay premium prices and then the price falls so that everybody can afford it.

I think the tech has just moved so fast all the older Dino brands have just not been able to move fast enough.
Its now we can truly see how much of a genius Elon Musk truly is and also how fast the Chinese have embraced it.

The true genius of Elon Musk is that he worked out how to make people pay for his experimental platform for what he's really interested in; AI and energy storage and usage.

Reactions: Nod
i pick up my EV ( well the wifes ) on the 26th it's going to be an interesting transition from a petrol BMW X1 to the Toyota BZ4X
the thing i am looking forward to is the cheap running costs compared to petrol / diesel prices
it's lease hire so not concerned with depreciation

i pick up my EV ( well the wifes ) on the 26th it's going to be an interesting transition from a petrol BMW X1 to the Toyota BZ4X
the thing i am looking forward to is the cheap running costs compared to petrol / diesel prices
it's lease hire so not concerned with depreciation
Beware the acceleration, go easy on the right foot till you get used to it :)

You mentioned battery tech and the next year. All I can say is I'll believe it when I see it.

My oldest car is 23 years old and my newest is 9 years old. When battery technology solves the range, charging, infrastructure, weight, longevity, environmental impact, cost and exploitation issues... Then I may be interested but even then as above I'm not interested in driving an ev if it involves taking my eye off the road and jabbing at a tablet screen multiple times to do basic things such as control the air con.
What Alan says above. Plus my experiences of EV (my brothers a car dealer selling high end cars, several of my neighbours have them)
I live in Wales, it rains here a LOT, it's dark gloomy cold and damp. My EV driving friends are afraid to use the heaters lights or wipers because it affects the range, which from what I'm told has no relation to the supposed figures issued by the makers.
My brothers experiences of delivering EV all over the country would fill a book, suffice to say he wont touch one with a 10 foot pole himself, always having a pertol model.
Something like 64% of British houses dont have drives, thats on street parking, or car parks near flats, thats a lot of cables across the pavement, assuming you can park outside your own house.
Yes everybody without a drive could all drive to the nearest charging point on the way to work, but those 3 charging points are going to be busy... very busy, and in the real world people wont do that every day, they've got better things to do. Like stick £20 of diesel in and drive all day, with the lights and heater on.
I keep seeing "new battery tech!" shouted about all the time, indeed I remember it from when I was a child, oddly 70 years later they havent changed much, yes the new ones hold more power and last longer, but most normal batteries you buy in the shops are the same tech we had in the 1960s.. No nuclear fusion torch batteries that last a lifetime. Indeed the two most used comon car battries are still "wet cell". Yes, that tech is used because quote "cost-effectiveness, reliability, adaptability, energy storage capacity, and recyclability make them competitive in specific application scenarios.".
Then theres the what do we charge them with? We only have about 12% over normal max use generating capacity. A few years ago the UK laid cables through the channel tunnel in order to use electric from abroad when we ran low. Bung another few million electric cars charging all night and the lights are going to go out.

Finally, EV have got a bit of a reputation for catching fire, as have lithium batteries in general. Anybody remember the old advert from the 1980s with a cat and a mouse? You know the "come home to a real fire one"?.... :exit:

What Alan says above. Plus my experiences of EV (my brothers a car dealer selling high end cars, several of my neighbours have them)
I live in Wales, it rains here a LOT, it's dark gloomy cold and damp. My EV driving friends are afraid to use the heaters lights or wipers because it affects the range, which from what I'm told has no relation to the supposed figures issued by the makers.
My brothers experiences of delivering EV all over the country would fill a book, suffice to say he wont touch one with a 10 foot pole himself, always having a pertol model.
Something like 64% of British houses dont have drives, thats on street parking, or car parks near flats, thats a lot of cables across the pavement, assuming you can park outside your own house.
Yes everybody without a drive could all drive to the nearest charging point on the way to work, but those 3 charging points are going to be busy... very busy, and in the real world people wont do that every day, they've got better things to do. Like stick £20 of diesel in and drive all day, with the lights and heater on.
I keep seeing "new battery tech!" shouted about all the time, indeed I remember it from when I was a child, oddly 70 years later they havent changed much, yes the new ones hold more power and last longer, but most normal batteries you buy in the shops are the same tech we had in the 1960s.. No nuclear fusion torch batteries that last a lifetime. Indeed the two most used comon car battries are still "wet cell". Yes, that tech is used because quote "cost-effectiveness, reliability, adaptability, energy storage capacity, and recyclability make them competitive in specific application scenarios.".
Then theres the what do we charge them with? We only have about 12% over normal max use generating capacity. A few years ago the UK laid cables through the channel tunnel in order to use electric from abroad when we ran low. Bung another few million electric cars charging all night and the lights are going to go out.

Finally, EV have got a bit of a reputation for catching fire, as have lithium batteries in general. Anybody remember the old advert from the 1980s with a cat and a mouse? You know the "come home to a real fire one"?.... :exit:

- The heaters lights wipers have very little real effect on range.
- Approximately 33% of UK homes have no driveway, not 64% https://www.transportxtra.com/publi...eway-or-garage-to-install-a-home-chargepoint/
- If you read this thread you'll see where Westminster are giving grants to people to have cross pavement charging installed. Chargepoints in lamp posts is also taking off to help with the no drive problem.
- 3 charge points?
- So your camera uses lead acid batteries or NiCads?
- The national grid and CEO's of electricity supply companies would disagree with you on capacity, https://www.nationalgrid.com/electr...eping-36-million-electric-vehicles-on-the-mov
- Finally the idea that electric cars catch fire a lot has been debunked many times. They are no more susceptible than petrol cars, indeed petrol car fires are so common you never hear of them. Yes lithium can go off IF fire gets to it but the lithium in a car battery is well protected and you'll not be seeing it in electric cars in a couple of years, that technology that you say has not moved on...has moved on.

We use the toys in the Leaf just like we use them in the ICE cars. Despite the Leaf having a limited range, the toys have very little effect on it.

Like stick £20 of diesel in and drive all day
Just like to point out, realistically, £20 of diesel gives less than 200 miles of driving. Shorter distance in stop and go traffic due to worse efficiency. It is unlikely you can drive all day with £20 of diesel.

£5 worth of 60+ kWh electricity charged overnight at home using EV tariff gives more driving distance of more than 200 miles on motorway, even more in stop and go traffic as EV get more efficient the slower you go.

Just like to point out, realistically, £20 of diesel gives less than 200 miles of driving. Shorter distance in stop and go traffic due to worse efficiency. It is unlikely you can drive all day with £20 of diesel.

£5 worth of 60+ kWh electricity charged overnight at home using EV tariff gives more driving distance of more than 200 miles on motorway, even more in stop and go traffic as EV get more efficient the slower you go.
Yes, but £20 of diesel takes 2 minutes to put in, and I could fill the tank in under 5 minutes, plus I can carry another 10 gallons easy in the boot in 2 cans that takes seconds to top up anywhere, even on the side of the road.
The big selling point of EV is the cost of topping up, not so cheap if you have to top out out though is it? Then how much does a battery cost to change? For my car it's about £60 and I can do it myself, an EV battery is about £109 per KWh, thats 6k upwards, and most normal garages wont touch the job, it's back to the main dealer in most cases.
I'm sure EV's will work for some people, but I'm out as theey say on dragons den.

Last edited:
Yes, but £20 of diesel takes 2 minutes to put in, and I could fill the tank in under 5 minutes, plus I can carry another 10 gallons easy in the boot in 2 cans that takes seconds to top up anywhere, even on the side of the road.
The big selling point of EV is the cost of topping up, not so cheap if you have to top out out though is it? Then how much does a battery cost to change? For my car it's about £60 and I can do it myself, an EV battery is about £109 per KWh, thats 6k upwards, and most normal garages wont touch the job, it's back to the main dealer in most cases.
I'm sure EV's will work for some people, but I'm out as theey say on dragons den.

The battery in a modern EV will outlast the car, good for at least 20 years (and then would still be useful in Storage). To give you an example after 60k miles and two years driving the battery in my EV was measured as 97% state of health. So after 400,000 miles my battery would still be 80% effective.

I don't mind anybody not wanting to go the EV route for whatever reason they choose, but I will counter the misinformation posted as excuses.

The big selling point of EV is the cost of topping up, not so cheap if you have to top out out though is it?
How often do you really need topping up while out and about? Let's be realistic.

I'll be driving to Isle of Skye in May. 1500 miles return. Out of that 1500 miles, only about 100 miles will need to rely on public public charging, only if I can't top up overnight at my destination. All other 1000 odd miles will be done on Tesla superchargers at 30-40p/kWh (compared to 7.5p/kWh in my earlier post), during ~20min rest stop that we'd do anyway. This still translates to cheaper per-mile cost than petrol/diesel.

Then how much does a battery cost to change?
My wife's Leaf (one of very first generation modern EV, no battery thermal management) is at 9.5 years old now, had it for over 6 years. Health is 79%. Still drives like the day we bought it.
In fact, it's doing MORE now, it's doing vehicle-2-home, functioning as home battery when parked at home.
(edit: V2H: https://www.indra.co.uk/v2h/)

As for garages, check out garages that are member of HEVRA: https://hevra.org.uk/

It is absolutely okay if you personally isn't convinced. But please stop spreading false information without real world experience or researched knowledge.

Last edited:
Back