Emma

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Some how, Em has come around to the idea of being my model :love: :) ... Don't worry though my ugly mug will appear again :p:exit:

This is her first time doing anything like this, so it's a learning curve for both of us :LOL:

Thank you for looking.

Crit welcome as always

Emma P1
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Emma P2
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

I'm not sure what you said to her in #2 Gav, but I think you maybe in trouble :D

Nice couple of images, well done and well done Em for agreeing. :)

Okay, firstly, brilliant of Em to sit for you - you must have promised her a night out? Good on you both. :)

Now to the crit. Think about light and what it's trying to convey. What was the idea because light is mood, and this is quite edgy which works pretty well for the shots you've been doing of yourself, but not so much for Em.

The first shot is a lovely expression with great eye contact, but the light doesn't fit it at all. That needs a nice big soft light source to wrap around Em. Also, get her to sit at an angle. Straight on with with the torso is strong and confrontational, but not very flattering, and not something that works with the smile and head tilt.

The second shot works better with the light. Get Em to relax her jaw and face. Slightly open lips always help with this too.

What modifiers do you currently have?

Okay, firstly, brilliant of Em to sit for you - you must have promised her a night out? Good on you both. :)

Now to the crit. Think about light and what it's trying to convey. What was the idea because light is mood, and this is quite edgy which works pretty well for the shots you've been doing of yourself, but not so much for Em.

The first shot is a lovely expression with great eye contact, but the light doesn't fit it at all. That needs a nice big soft light source to wrap around Em. Also, get her to sit at an angle. Straight on with with the torso is strong and confrontational, but not very flattering, and not something that works with the smile and head tilt.

The second shot works better with the light. Get Em to relax her jaw and face. Slightly open lips always help with this too.
Thank you, Dean I really appreciate the feedback.
After I showed Em the finished image she felt the light was too harsh. I'll be honest I wasn't really thinking at the time I was making the most of Em before she bottled it or got bored of me.. the image was one of the last we got as she finally started to relax a little. I need to sit and find some reading on this before I carry on I guess.
Thank you for the posing tips I'll chat with Em if she's up for it again.

What modifiers do you currently have?
Just 2 speedlights and bouncing the light from a wall on left and wall/ceiling rear right, very limited on space too.
I need to look at lighting gear if I can get the hang of this :)

the image was one of the last we got as she finally started to relax a little. I need to sit and find some reading on this before I carry on I guess.
My suggestion would be to worry less about reading, and take more pictures when she's relaxed a little. I've found the majority of working with other people is down to getting them to relax. Those first pictures with new people in front of a camera are always nervy and binnable. It's only when the person gets used to the flash going, and starts to forget about the camera that you start to get natural photos - unless you're experienced with inexperienced models.

As Dean says
What was the idea because light is mood
and
That needs a nice big soft light source to wrap around Em
are both important points. What are you trying to do? If you're after a specific look, get the lighting right before the model comes round. If you don't know, start with a big soft modifier. We've seen your selfies, so you're comfortable taking photos of yourself to get the light right. Then when your model arrives, you don't need to worry about lighting so much and can focus on the interaction, and getting them to relax. I've found that nervously faffing with lights just delays time with the model, because they are watching me mess about. Not to mention the self-confidence hit when I finally get everything right and they're looking at me as if to say 'you do know what you're doing right?' Getting used to working with models and getting the hang of setting up lights are 2 separate skills. I've found that when I try and do both at the same time, I tend to get poor(er) results. Often because of nerves.

Agree with Dean on the crit too. Also, it's always worth getting your model to sit up straight and unhunch their shoulders.

If you want to learn about lighting, go to this thread by Garry Edwards of this parish, who is a true lighting expert - seriously.

They are decent images, but as has already been said, a bit harsh on Em. I would consider (apart from lighting) your shooting angle - maybe a bit above and to the side, by both moving her/your subject and yourself. Straight on seems to emphasise the harshness whereas slightly above and to your right might have given her a more mischievous look in the first one and emphasised the humour in the second. But Garry's ebook covers a lot of this stuff I think, well worth reading through and experimenting with his suggested setups. I'm afraid it might lead you to buying more lighting kit though!

@The23rdman @Harlequin565

Thank you both for the very detailed feedback and help, I need to sit down and a plan a little more, I'll take a few more selfies and try to nail some light etc.. before I move on again.

I'll check the link Dean provided and tinker with the lights.

I just took the chance to have a go with Em as she was up for a laugh.

I have a lot to learn :)

Thank you again

If you want to learn about lighting, go to this thread by Garry Edwards of this parish, who is a true lighting expert - seriously.

They are decent images, but as has already been said, a bit harsh on Em. I would consider (apart from lighting) your shooting angle - maybe a bit above and to the side, by both moving her/your subject and yourself. Straight on seems to emphasise the harshness whereas slightly above and to your right might have given her a more mischievous look in the first one and emphasised the humour in the second. But Garry's ebook covers a lot of this stuff I think, well worth reading through and experimenting with his suggested setups. I'm afraid it might lead you to buying more lighting kit though!
Thank you, Lindsay, I will check it out.
Don't mind a kit investment, it'll get used, I just need to know I can use it properly before throw cash out the window :LOL:
Thank you for the pointers, I did read somewhere this afternoon to shoot females from just above, males from just below? All good fun trying this stuff out ;)

Angle really depends on what you’re trying to achieve. Slightly below suggests a more powerful look; slightly above is generally softer and more inviting.

Angle really depends on what you’re trying to achieve. Slightly below suggests a more powerful look; slightly above is generally softer and more inviting.
Cheers Dean, I need to think more and stop trying to wing it!

It’s a never ending process! Learning to light opens up so much creative potential, and it’s so much fun.

I've nothing to add to crit and the praise, loving your pace

I started there too.

Speedlites and brollies are a difficult introduction: there are much easier ways.
But it’s a cheap way, and brollies teach you about controlling light spill.

Back