Emma90's 52. Wk 7 2011

Edit My Images
No
This is my first go at a 52. i am new to photography so im a complete beginner and am still learning on how to shoot in manual mode, so alot of my images are in auto.
week 1 - accommodation
I went to a big cat encounter and got the chance to see some big cats in there homes. so here is a pic of a cheetah in his home. picture is cropped but no other editing.
IMG_0473.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with you 52 project. I jumped in the deep end and am trying the 365. Nice start btw

i defiantly dont get out enough to do a 365, good luck with it!
thank you for all your comments cc welcome.

Emma, nice capture. Picture looks a bit soft! What settings were you using?

i was on auto or P , using a tele lens with no is so might be the reason? im new to this so any advice would be great.

Lovely subject for the first week Emma and nothing at all wrong with using auto or p modes until you get the hang of things (y)

You've managed to catch a really good moment with the cheetah yawning and you've composed it very well within the frame - Good angle and you have just enough space around the cheetah so that it doesn't feel cramped.

It does look a little soft though - particularly around the head.
A few things to think about :

- As already mentioned you would probably have benefited from a faster shutter speed. One of the downsides of automatic shooting is that you odn't have much control over this.

- I think that the focus was also a little off. In an ideal world you would have got the focus on his eyes - it looks more like the focus was somewhere in the middle of the shot here.
Are you manually selecting your focus point or letting the camera do it for you? This is probably one of the easiest manual choices that you can make on your camera, but it will make a huge difference to the composition of your photographs. If you're still learning, this is a good place to start.

- Are you doing any processing on your images? Most photographs will benefit from some sharpening in PP - particularly after re-sizing to post on the web.

Such a beautiful capture , shame its a little soft. Do you have any pets at home? I'm a newbie too and find it really helps you to learn what shutter speed to use in different situations when your photographing one of your fast moving pets, in my case rodents. Its easy because you are in the comfort of your own home and can use a bit of trial and error :)

i am using auto focus at the mo, as said i dont really know what im doing yet with manual modes, how can i focus manually? i dont do editing at the moment no, i am looking into getting photoshop though.

I would recommend a touch of sharpening and there are free/cheap editing packages that will do this without the expense of Photoshop.

shas been said this is a good composition with interesting action caught; faster shutter speed and some post process you'll have this taped. Try switching to AV so that you can set shutter speed and the camera will set aperture for you.

Good start (y)

TV- Time Value, that sets the shutter speed and aperture will be worked out by the camera
AV - Aperture Value, set the aperture and the shutter speed gets worked out by the camera.

got a photo of some eggs ( can you spot the newly laid one)
used colour splash for the effect, no other editing.
024-2.jpg

Last edited:
Emma, I like the take on the theme, I also like the processing (I would say that as my 1st pic of my 52 used selective colouring ;))

You seem to have, gone slightly off the edge of the egg though, maybe you could have zoomed in to be a bit more accurate. I am relatively new to Photoshop myself, so I am sure others could provide better hints and tips to help.

I would have also considered removing the bits of paper that seem to be scattered about as they are a bit distracting.

2 down, 50 to go :cool:

This is my first go at a 52. i am new to photography so im a complete beginner and am still learning on how to shoot in manual mode, so alot of my images are in auto.
week 1 - accommodation
I went to a big cat encounter and got the chance to see some big cats in there homes. so here is a pic of a cheetah in his home. picture is cropped but no other editing.
IMG_0473.jpg

No reposting this for week 4 lol

Emma,

I started taking my photography more seriously late last year.
The one thing that helped me get off auto was understanding the link between shutter speed, aperture and ISO, ie the exposure triangle.

This Linky may help, but there are loads of web sites on the subject. Once I understood this, I knew what I had to do if I wanted to play with the DOF (aperture) and sharpness/ blur (shutter speed). My camera never goes on Auto now.

For your first shots these are good.
Keep it up and keep listening to the advice on here and you'll get there.

The one thing I'd add to the other comments is that you've chopped part of the flower out of #3

Emma,

I started taking my photography more seriously late last year.
The one thing that helped me get off auto was understanding the link between shutter speed, aperture and ISO, ie the exposure triangle.

This Linky may help, but there are loads of web sites on the subject. Once I understood this, I knew what I had to do if I wanted to play with the DOF (aperture) and sharpness/ blur (shutter speed). My camera never goes on Auto now.

For your first shots these are good.
Keep it up and keep listening to the advice on here and you'll get there.

The one thing I'd add to the other comments is that you've chopped part of the flower out of #3

yeah iv got a book understanding exposure which i need to read, just don't have much time atm. thanks for the comments, i will get into manual shooting one day.

Wk 3 - style.
my style, bright flowers love this picture very happy.
2008_080108cornwall0069.jpg

Well apart from the framing of the image chopping off the petal I'd be happy with that shot too, very nice (y)

Like your pic... as it's backlit though... maybe could have done with a bit of fill in flash!

Mark

Got to say, I really love your week 3 photo - fantastic colours and the angle makes for a very interesting shot.

Week 4 I'm not so fond of - I like the shot, but I think the tone is a little red for my personal tastes though.

Week 5 - Clever take on the theme. Hard material, hard edges, and hard shadows.

thank you for your comments, all comments are welcome, i like hearing people opinions, as everyone see's things differently.

Hey Emma...

I liked the idea behind your hard pic... I just think you could do more with it... even maybe just in PP.

As for the pic I'd have liked to have seen the first edge of the foreground slabs in the first third rather than the middle of the image... with maybe a little wider an angle or narrower viewpoint so you got more of the other slabs in the background... basically what I mean in if you had moved the camera to the right a bit...

I think it would be better PP'd in B and W with harder shadows than you have given... really sharpen it up and add lots of contrast... make the darks dark... I have an image of the shot in my head... whether you get what I mean im not sure... I hope so!

Great idea though and a bit different!

Mark

Hey Emma...

I liked the idea behind your hard pic... I just think you could do more with it... even maybe just in PP.

As for the pic I'd have liked to have seen the first edge of the foreground slabs in the first third rather than the middle of the image... with maybe a little wider an angle or narrower viewpoint so you got more of the other slabs in the background... basically what I mean in if you had moved the camera to the right a bit...

I think it would be better PP'd in B and W with harder shadows than you have given... really sharpen it up and add lots of contrast... make the darks dark... I have an image of the shot in my head... whether you get what I mean im not sure... I hope so!

Great idea though and a bit different!

Mark

don't agree with taking it from a different angle, but do agree with the sharpening and black and white, i don't have anything to convert into proper b&w only grey scale on pb. so here it is in greyscale and sharpened.
i don't like to edit my photo's much which is why most of the time they are just resized. tell me what you think.
garage006-1.jpg

Hi Emma and welcome to the 52.

I only started taking my photography seriously just over 6 months ago and have learned loads from members on here, it's a really good source for advice and information.

I also started by shooting in auto, but after a short couple of hours lesson with a local tog and information from here, I don't shoot in auto and enjoying getting the most out of my camera.

Good start to your 52.

We can agree to disagree on the angle... I'm not overly into too much PP either... I just prefer being out with a camera rather than sitting in front of a computer... That said.... I think you have now oversharpened... i'd tone it down a little but boost the contrast... and if you dont try shooting in RAW gives you much more latitude to PP quite simply and quickly even in canons DPP which is all I ever use!

cant do much more with the image, in the way of processing as i just use photo bucket for editing, dont have any other software yet. (thats probably why i dont edit) keep the comments coming though please!

Hi Emma,
I like the shot of the paving slabs, but I do think it would be better to be more focussed on one of the slabs, and only have one stack in the shot?
Does that make sense?
re: Auto.
Until I started doing this, I had my camera on constantly auto, but I told myself that for this I would do it all on manual, (hence some of my dodgy shots!) but when you get a good one and get compliments on them by people so much better at this then you are (or then I am anyway!!) you get such a good feeling, and it's fun figuring out how to get the shot you want:) i.e. changing the settings randomly to get what you want!
If you're not confident enough to do that, then why not go to the Tv or Av settings? as that gives you kind of... half auto?
aso re: editing, I know what you mean, I'm really lucky in that I bought my brothers computer when he upgraded it, and he had a copy of Photoshop on it:)
I don't know how to really use it, but on my laptop I have picasa 3 which lets you do the main things to do, and it was free:)

you never know what you can do unless you try:)

and good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing your clutter shot:)
(have bookmarked your page)

Back