Emulsive Secret Santa 2019

I failed at it. Went through the Google doc then the site failed to send me on to the next bit. After a few minutes it sent me back to the Google doc again.

Figured it was borked because it's new, but maybe it's just me.

I failed at it. Went through the Google doc then the site failed to send me on to the next bit. After a few minutes it sent me back to the Google doc again.

Because I've taken place before I didn't need to do that, so can't advise on whether it's some sort of issue - I just got an email pointing me to my existing Elfster account where it asked if I'd like to take part again this year and if I'm willing to send a gift to an overseas recipient.

Last edited:

The link would have been on the thanks page of the Google Form after you submit your details. Happy to generate and send you another - send me a DM :)

The link would have been on the thanks page of the Google Form after you submit your details.

Looks like it was the embedded form in the Emulsive website that was failing. When I followed the link to the Googlepage, that worked fine.

I do like the idea of this but was less than impressed when I took part in the forum version a few years back, what were the experiences of folk that took part in the Emulsive one last year?

I do like the idea of this but was less than impressed when I took part in the forum version a few years back, what were the experiences of folk that took part in the Emulsive one last year?

I’ve taken part the past two years’ exchanges.

In 2017 I received some JCH StreetPan film and a 35mm to 120 film adapter.

Last year I received six rolls of film (two each of Tmax P3200, Arista Edu 200, and Eastman Double-X), a photobook / zine of the senders work, a camera strap, a pin badge, and a Kodak Retina IIa camera. This was far more than I had expected, but I was very grateful to be so fortunate.

I believe the minimum spend for gifts (not including postage) is set at $20.

I thought I'd give it a bash since I didn't last year... is there any way of putting 'filmy type stuff' in the wishlist rather than having to add all the various bits on elfster?

I thought I'd give it a bash since I didn't last year... is there any way of putting 'filmy type stuff' in the wishlist rather than having to add all the various bits on elfster?

Yeah, you can just add some general text saying what you'd be interested in. Mine just says some stuff about 35mm or 120 format film, photo books and spare old cameras.

Last edited:

I've taken part for the last 2 years. The first year I got a drawstring bag full of 35mm film (JCH/Cinestill/Revolog) & accessories (handmade leather film case/stickers/postcards) from a lovely person in the Philippines. They'd also written me a long letter explaining that the postcards showed their hometown from the last century;

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdP3zh9HCbC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

In 2018 I received some excellent handmade prints, a one-off mounted Instax print, Fomapan 200 sheet film, a disposable camera, FP4 and a bar of nougat!

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Brz0bv-AQNT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The first year I made a custom acrylic Instax fridge magnet frame and sent it with a couple of boxes of Instax film and some Chroma goodies;

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdQWcVVnM4u/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last year I made a custom @EMULSIVE / Chroma mug, 3D printed pinhole camera with Graflex 23 roll film back, and a few more film goodies (with custom wrapping paper of course!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq7dfB9AX7V/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrDe7YMgrCG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Overall, I think the Secret Santa is a bit of fun, with the accepted risk that there might be people who don't get into the spirit of it so there's the possibility that you don't get out as much as you put in. All in all, those people are limited and Em manages them as much as he can to make sure everyone gets something. I'll be registering for this years' Secret Santa tomorrow (y)

Yeah, you can just add some general text saying what you'd be interested in. Mine just says some stuff about 35mm or 120 format film, photo books and spare old cameras.

The article includes screenshots/details on how to do exactly that. Let me know if you need any more help!

I've signed up this year for the first time. I did have some difficulties, but got there in the end, although it appears I didn't understand the significance of the wish list! It'd be a shame to get lots of 120 when I don't shoot what I've already got...

I didn't understand the significance of the wish list!

I've just put lots of text things in mine. Like "no 35mm plz!"

Thanks for the tips here. I eventually put text in as well. It seemed a bit weird to point to some actual item and say hey, I want this!

What's the significance of the sponsors?

I got the impression they get to pull a name out of the hat to send some stuff to. Not sure if it's one name or multiple. I know Analogue Wonderland got to be a sponsor but I can't seem to tag their account to see if they can shed some light... @Analogue Wonderland

Edit - that tag does seem to work, just doesn't populate a list when you type it...

Thanks for the tips here. I eventually put text in as well. It seemed a bit weird to point to some actual item and say hey, I want this!

What's the significance of the sponsors?
I got the impression they get to pull a name out of the hat to send some stuff to. Not sure if it's one name or multiple. I know Analogue Wonderland got to be a sponsor but I can't seem to tag their account to see if they can shed some light... @Analogue Wonderland

Edit - that tag does seem to work, just doesn't populate a list when you type it...

I'm a sponsor too via Chroma and will be putting together some holders/film/plates and Chroma goodies. @EMULSIVE is selecting the recipients at random, as part of the Secret Santa pairing process (y)

I got my match through today, so I'll be sending some goodies over to the US this year.

I got an email saying all those with international shipping had been matched, but AFAICS I haven't got a match email. Checked the Spam folder and all! I did go onto the website, to find an anonymous message from my photo santa, so that part's working!

Did get my match eventually... Canada. Some ambiguity on whether you can send unexposed film to Canada, but I guess I'm going to, anyway.

Do people wrap their gifts or just send them boxed? I've got a nice Analogue Wonderland film box, but don't think I can easily wrap the suff to go inside it, and wrapping the box twice (once in brown) seems daft. But perhaps I'm just a lazy cheapskate!

Did get my match eventually... Canada. Some ambiguity on whether you can send unexposed film to Canada, but I guess I'm going to, anyway.

Do people wrap their gifts or just send them boxed? I've got a nice Analogue Wonderland film box, but don't think I can easily wrap the suff to go inside it, and wrapping the box twice (once in brown) seems daft. But perhaps I'm just a lazy cheapskate!

Mine's going to the USA. I also had an Analogue Wonderland box that I used - I placed the gifts inside and then wrapped the box in wrapping paper with a gift tag. As the box had a camera inside, I wrapped the box in a layer of bubblewrap, and then warapped it all in some brown paper with the address label / customs declaration.

I rang Analogue Wonderland and asked them about sending film to the USA (as I know they ship there themselves) and if I should label it specially. They said they don't have any issues with film being damaged and don't mark it specially (other than the contents description on the customs declaration).

Last edited:
I filled an AW box (they're handy aren't they!) and wrapped that along with a bigger thing. Both wrapped things then got covered in bubble wrap and put in a bigger box with a card.

I think I misread something because I sent mine last week. I thought there was a 30Nov deadline. Anyway, my match said she'd received it all which is good news.
Mine was UK though.

Right, time for a daft question... I'm gonna be putting a letter in and was wondering... does it have to be secret at that point? Is my match allowed to know who I am once they've opened it?

Right, time for a daft question... I'm gonna be putting a letter in and was wondering... does it have to be secret at that point? Is my match allowed to know who I am once they've opened it?

Yeah, that’s fine. You can remain anonymous if you want, but nothing to stop you introducing yourself either. I now follow the blog of my Secret Santa from last year for instance.

I’ve included a letter with mine with a link to my own blog this year too.

Yeah, that’s fine. You can remain anonymous if you want, but nothing to stop you introducing yourself either. I now follow the blog of my Secret Santa from last year for instance.

I’ve included a letter with mine with a link to my own blog this year too.

Cheers Nige, much obliged

My AW box has my address on it, which would be hard to remove completely, and I'm going to have to fill in a customs declaration for Canada and put a return address on it, so anonymity is out of the question!

Annoyingly, the bit of Christmas cake I bought from English Heritage won't fit in the AW box. Looks like I'll have to eat it myself. EDIT: I had done a letter too...

I'm currently printing something big for my sponsor matches (3 people), well small actually, 1/4 scale Chroma cameras :0) I think I've nailed it so will print the final versions tomorrow when I assemble my new 3D printer so I can build it with a 0.2mm nozzle and print in the highest quality to retain detail. Along with the cameras, I'm also getting some "Merry ChromaMas" mugs printed up and throwing in some various films/sweets. I hope they're all well received.

love it cant wait to see these, (and when you start selling them!)

Cheers. At the moment they’re not something (else!) I’m adding to my ever growing list of products but I might think about it in the future if they come out well.

The parts printed well last night, even with the larger 0.6mm nozzle I’m currently using to print the full size cameras. My new 3D printer arrived yesterday so I’m going to assemble that later and fit a 0.2mm nozzle to improve the finish of the quarter scale parts.

I had ticked the box saying I was willing to send overseas. I must say, when I came to post I was regretting it. ISTR the guideline gift was around £20 of value, well the postage to Canada with tracking alone was over £15. I was then doubly miffed when the tracking wouldn't work. Finally today I went into the Royal Mail office here. They told me it had arrived in Canada on the 14th and was delivered (no signature) on the 15th (I'm still trying to ascertain it went to the right person). Oh, the reason tracking wouldn't work? Well, the tracking number began L00217... but, oh no it didn't, apparently it began LO0217...! However, no matter how long and hard I stare at the printout from the local PO, there is NO discernible difference between the second and third characters! Grrrr...

Meanwhile, my Santa has apologised for being busy (end of semester... should tell me something) and says he'll post Real Soon Now...

Meanwhile, my Santa has apologised for being busy (end of semester... should tell me something) and says he'll post Real Soon Now...

Now I don't feel so bad for getting a jiffy bag direct from SRB photographic as my Santa hasn't had the time to do anything else.

I had ticked the box saying I was willing to send overseas. I must say, when I came to post I was regretting it. ISTR the guideline gift was around £20 of value, well the postage to Canada with tracking alone was over £15. I was then doubly miffed when the tracking wouldn't work. Finally today I went into the Royal Mail office here. They told me it had arrived in Canada on the 14th and was delivered (no signature) on the 15th (I'm still trying to ascertain it went to the right person). Oh, the reason tracking wouldn't work? Well, the tracking number began L00217... but, oh no it didn't, apparently it began LO0217...! However, no matter how long and hard I stare at the printout from the local PO, there is NO discernible difference between the second and third characters! Grrrr...

So far I've heard nothing from the person I sent a gift too, even after sending a post saying I wasn't sure it had been delivered. And I've received nothing either, despite a couple of reminders. So, altogether, not a great success!

So far I've heard nothing from the person I sent a gift too, even after sending a post saying I wasn't sure it had been delivered. And I've received nothing either, despite a couple of reminders. So, altogether, not a great success!
After a bit of a moan on the Elfster thread, my donor got in touch to apologise and say he's definitely ending something, Real Soon Now! I live in hope...

... and it's arrived, from Quebec! 5 rolls of expired AgfaColour 100, one no-name probably Agfa 200, one APX 100 hand rolled by someone else, and a roll of 2019 Acros in 120, plus a badge, couple of proper prints and a nicely apologetic letter. Faith in humanity restored...

Blimey, that’s a relief thought we might end up with an international incident.

Back