Encounters with people while out shooting

Edit My Images
No
I often take shots with my phone when I spot something to make a note and come back later with my camera. Last week I was taking a shot of a row of chrome steel bollards outside an Aldi while my Missus was in doing some shopping when a man walked up and tying his dog to a bollard behind me said...."I dont want you taking a picture of my dog, alright"
I just laughed and said "Sure no problems mate, Im just shooting these bollards "
10 minutes later while we were putting our shopping in the boot he came over and said, "No offence but its a privacy thing innit" I laughed again and said "Yeah, as I said no worries mate" He walked off.
I explained to my missus what it was about and we had to laugh, it was just so bizzare
Do you ever get funny or odd encounters with people while out shooting?

I've had some good conversations but some negative too. I think for me it's maybe 50/50 but I live in east Cleveland and it can be a bit suspicious and rough/intimidating even. It's a lot better natured when Mrs WW is with me, the man on his own with a camera must be a weirdo effect maybe. Mrs WW has also noticed this and doesn't like me going out on my own!

I suppose the most odd was being aggressively accused by a teenager of taking his picture when I was stood under a tree clearly pointing the camera upwards taking pictures of the blossoms. Less confrontational but maybe equally odd was when a man asked me "Are you from the council."

I've only just started photography and i haven't had any encounters yet but I am very self-conscious about it, I was practising after getting my camera taking shots at the bottom of the garden then thought to myself, I hope the house behind don't think im trying to take photos in their house, I guess that's just the way things are these days

If abroad say in China or Japan as I was some years ago language can be a problem. I then go ask using simple sign language by pointing at my camera and then making a shutter finger action at the person. Never fails. Even this chinese guard in Bejing in front of the Forbidded City smiled and a slight nod of approval. others who went up to do the same thing he turned the other way,

DSC_3344.JPG

One big NO NO is taking photos even accidently of children, something I strive to avoid even if it means waiting to get the shot. A crowd scene may be a bit different

Last edited:
I was out taking macro shots of some flowers in a field. A guy came and asked if I was taking pictures of his garden? I just showed him what was on the camera. He seemed happy enough and dissapeared.

I often take shots with my phone when I spot something to make a note and come back later with my camera. Last week I was taking a shot of a row of chrome steel bollards outside an Aldi while my Missus was in doing some shopping when a man walked up and tying his dog to a bollard behind me said...."I dont want you taking a picture of my dog, alright"
I just laughed and said "Sure no problems mate, Im just shooting these bollards "
10 minutes later while we were putting our shopping in the boot he came over and said, "No offence but its a privacy thing innit" I laughed again and said "Yeah, as I said no worries mate" He walked off.
I explained to my missus what it was about and we had to laugh, it was just so bizzare
Do you ever get funny or odd encounters with people while out shooting?
It’s weird world. He doesn’t want you taking photos of the dog as it’s a privacy issue but is happy to leave the dog tied up unattended. Sadly lots of dogs are stolen this way to be used as bait dogs for dog fighting. I hate seeing dogs tied up outside shops.

Reminds me of the time years ago I was photographing squirrels in a local park and one woman decided to take offence as I ‘could’ be covertly taking photos of children. I didn’t now what to say as it was just a bizarre accusation, there weren’t any children around at the time and I was clearly photographing squirrels until she scared them away!

I watched a drone video and it had the confrontation filmed.

I hate these types of videos. They always give photographers a bad reputation. I really don’t understand why you’d be confrontational like that with a ranger who’s just doing a job.

These videos are usually unclear whether it’s actually fully legal like they say it is. Theoretically you should get permission to take off and land on private ground. Many places like Nation Trust don’t allow them and the Peak District park authority won’t give approval for a large part of the year, yet you often see drones flying in these places. There’s also the use of the screen to fly as you should keep visual line of sight. You can use ‘First Person View’ but need a spotter to assist, which isn’t clear in the video if there is a spotter.

Last edited:
I agree with @rob-nikon and @4wd , the dronist is behaving arrogantly and uncooperatively, doing himself and potentially others no good by his attitude. The ranger may not be legally entitled to stop the drone flying, although that I think is moot given the type of location, but why be so difficult? He could have explained why he believes he is allowed to fly it there, and offered sight of his paperwork in order to give confidence to the ranger that he knows what he is about, instead.

I was taking a long exposure one night and a couple of teenagers walked past; one stood in front of my camera like he was trying to look inside it. It was only for a second or so and actually the shot had just finished, so it made no difference. As they were walking off it seemed to occur to him what he'd done and he asked me if he'd ruined my shot. I told him no, it was all good.

I have an interest in using old film cameras and have only ever had negative experiences from other photographers basically saying that's crap you want one of these, the latest Digital camera ! On some of the Stations on the Severn Valley railway ( very near to me ) when there is a gala on I've seen photographers arguing and swearing at each other for getting in the way and the locals on a couple of occasions have said very negative things about them as there behavior can be quite bad.

Last edited:
If the Ranger knew his job he would have known how far away the birds nest was from the guy. Just another case of a person with a uniform trying to assert his authority. Another jobs worth let loose to make trouble. Then goes on about a vehicle trying to justify his job after saying people were complaining about his drone. Maybe I am blind but in the video it looks like a huge open moorland space with nobody about
who employes numpties like this?

Last edited:
I find a drone is more likely to provoke feelings of paranoia and a confrontation than a DSLR. Very little understanding of the drone regulations and how the smaller crop of drones (sub 250g) have pretty much free rein compared to the larger ones.

Haven't had many confrontations but I always start off polite as it's an opportunity to educate people rather than annoy them further and just shut down the chance of a proper resolution.

Reactions do vary though, last month a pensioner in Cirencester pulled a gun on someone doing some photography work for an estate agent...

Only every had one experience when I was asked what I was doing! Clear to every other normal person, me standing there with a camera, old camera on big tripod and lens and cable release hanging..... I'm sure it was a Nikon D200 with a small screen on the back, big enough though in the dark to set the settings display giving some light out...... Anyway there was 2 guys, young guys with the caps on and I think they were on something, drugs... Whatever...... The one that looked the most high asked me "What you doing?..... In a brash voice and looking right at me, his eyes all watery.......! I replied.."Taking a photograph!.... While turning my head about 10 degrees and making a continuous "Mmmmmmm sound!"....... Like a dog does when it's baffled.....

At this point good mate thought this was the funniest thing ever and burst out laughing and promptly matched of....... Followed by the questionnaire...... Not happy at my reply and humming while looking right through him......junkies!

That was at Carlton Hill Edinburgh years ago......

That photo actually if on some online guide for big cities.....

Apart from that nothing else really.

Hey ho.....

Ice

If the Ranger knew his job he would have known how far away the birds nest was from the guy. Just another case of a person with a uniform trying to assert his authority. Another jobs worth let loose to make trouble. Then goes on about a vehicle trying to justify his job after saying people were complaining about his drone. Maybe I am blind but in the video it looks like a huge open moorland space with nobody about
who employes numpties like this?
He was most likely wanting to know if it was his car as it is a favourite way of officials of getting a person's name and address.

Its not as bad as it used to be but have to say I have to hold my tongue sometimes.
The best way I described it to a copper one day (he wasn't a photographer) was imagine you have a dog and every time you take him for a walk somewhere different, somebody will come up and say you can't walk your dog here, even though you know full well that they are wrong, and you are right. Sometimes they will even threaten to call the police on you and your dog.
Here is the question. How many times would you have to hear the same thing with people being in your face before you start getting a bit short or dismissive with them?
It's always gone on. If you aren't a P**** you are a burglar casing a building, if you aren't that you are a terrorist. Today its Islamists, 40 years ago it was the IRA.
It's a bit sexist too btw. My daughter sometimes comes out with me, and she can shoot anything anywhere any time and never gets any hassle.

Last edited:
This reminds of a time when I had an encounter with pitchfork branding parents. I can laugh now but at the time, it unsettled me.

We have a big park the top of our street and long story short, I was walking through it one morning with a 7D and a 180mm macro lens. I was minding my own business and on my way to photograph some local snowdrops. The top end of the park has kid's slides, swings, etc and I got the usual 'what you taking photos of mista?' as I passed some kids. My usual reply is 'wildlife' and this is what I said on the day in question. I carried on, thought nothing more of it and proceeded to the snowdrops, which weren't far from the park but secluded enough. A little while longer, I hear an adult, she was shouting 'are you allright' over and over. I ignored it, not thinking she meant me. Another lady turned up, with much the same approach. They both came up to me and questioned me on what photos I'd been taking. They were obviously unhappy.

They then told me that some other parents had phoned the police. I said 'that's fine, I'll wait for them.' 20 minutes later, the police turned up and spoke to a crowd by now of about 15 parents, with kids running about them. The police then approached me and I explained my side of the story. They were brand new, actually really nice people and told me to 'just enjoy my day taking photos'. They went back to the baying by now crowd and give them a word in their ears as it was a waste of time for the police.

Dale 1 - Parents With Pitchforks 0.

It did upset me for a while afterwards and even now, all these years later, I'm reluctant to walk through the park with a camera. The thing is though, I would bet a decent amount of money that everyone of the adults involved would have had a camera in their pockets, ie, a phone and probably some of them had taken pictures in the park of kids that day. As soon as somebody turned up with something that actually looks like a real camera, that person gets criminalised.

One parent who was with the crowd has actually become one of my besties, as he became one of the 'Dad's Club' at the school gates a few years later.

It's not so bad in our village now, as I am known by most folk as 'Dale the photographer'.

I feel uncomfortabe nowadays sometimes, particularly in a wildlife situation. A lot of the time, I'm walking along rivers on public footpaths. I've learned not to walk to sites in camo gear, I carry that in a back pack now and put it on when I get to the site. I really do dread somebody coming along though, as I use scrim netting too and in fariness, this might be found to be concerning by Joe Public. I tend nowadays to set up where people are unlikely to be. This can involve a long walk and I sometimes bump into folk during this walk. Most of them are great, will chat nicely but some immediately think you're up to no good. Thankfully, not many.

The drone above was near a dam not that far from where I live. I know the nest in question too and in fairness, the guy was sat a good way from it, well over 300 metres. I don't know where his drone was of course. The nest site is dripping with cameras, there's even a live feed to the cafe near the dam. Nobody would get away with any ill intent there.

Last edited:
What's interesting is the examples in here, the intent wasn't to photograph people.

I go out with the purpose of making candid photos of strangers and don't really have any issues. I don't go out with the intent to photograph children, but if there is an opportunity, I won't pass it up.

DSCF0730.jpg

Not really a confrontation but when I am out and about I am amazed at the number of people walking along talking to themselves loudly (well okay on the phone via earbuds) ... I have been known turn and look at them and say "Pardon?" :oops: :$

Sitting with a coffee yesterday whilst I was out I heard a woman coming towards me saying loudly, "Are you okay, you sound funny ... have you got your teeth in?".
I nearly choked on my coffee and she clearly saw me laughing as she looked at me and mouthed, "It's my dad!".
Weird world. :LOL:

Then there are those who are a bit more serious about things!

The Frown
by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Not really a confrontation but when I am out and about I am amazed at the number of people walking along talking to themselves loudly (well okay on the phone via earbuds) ... I have been known turn and look at them and say "Pardon?" :oops: :$

Sitting with a coffee yesterday whilst I was out I heard a woman coming towards me saying loudly, "Are you okay, you sound funny ... have you got your teeth in?".
I nearly choked on my coffee and she clearly saw me laughing as she looked at me and mouthed, "It's my dad!".
Weird world. :LOL:

Then there are those who are a bit more serious about things!
Blimey, just run away from them, I doubt they'd catch you, dont plod have a fitness standard these day?? ;)

I managed to take a photo of a drug dealer trying to sell my mate some coke in Peru. I was just trying to take a photo of my mate walking round with a bag of coca leaves (apparently helps with altitude sickness) when this guy walked up and offered him some coke just as I swung round and clicked the shutter....

He was less than impressed and tried grabbing my camera and what not, I told him to basically f*ck off, to which he threatened to shoot me.. I pointed out the 5 cops just off to the right, he mumbled something in spanish and walked off....

Me and my mates scarpered round the corner and back to the hotel and changed our t-shirts etc (as well as undercrackers!) and went back out again.

Here's the photo...

22117152335_fa320b3db7_c.jpg

Back