Energy Costs - Ouch!

The fact that you are paying many hundreds of £'s under the market price, causing financial hardship for your energy firm and 'burning' cheap energy when many poorer people cannot afford to keep warm is probably going to trouble you and even keep you awake at night ?
I'm betting that your conscience will lead you to cancelling your fixed price and joining the majority paying the 'market price'. . . . I'm correct aren't I :rolleyes:

My contracted price is by definition a current market price, it is higher than it was, but not as high as it will become.
In two years, I will look to the market again.

Fixed price contracts do well during periods of rising prices, but badly at other times.

The government is projecting that energy prices will fall again after the present crisis.
I believe that that is wishful thinking.
I am now 86 and in my entire lifetime energy prices have risen continuously. But at varying rates.
The trend of the curve is upward.

I expect that every time you get a good deal, that you give the difference back to the trader

Last edited:
I expect that every time you get a good deal, that you give the difference back to the trader
You know I was just teasing don't you ? :D Well at 86 you have certainly ' paid your dues ' and deserve some good fortune. I'm a youngster of 75 and will just have to grin and bear it.

well i'm 75 and the way things are going the best bet is to move in with my parents ????

Well some good news energy costs look like they are going to fall over the next 2 reviews before increasing slightly at the end of the year.
Some not so good news about the standing charges, they look likely to increase throughout the year reaching 60p per day for electricity and 31p per day for gas, now while gas standing charges have gone up a paltry 80%'s percent electric standing charges have risen by over 300% in the last 8 years while inflation over that time has been about 36%.

Re: the 60p per day
So that is £297 per year
On the basis of 28.2 M households that is £6,175,800,000 per year!

So that is £297 per year
And seeing as around 21,150,000 households use mains gas you can add another £2,393,122,500 to that.

With figures like that you can see why energy companies are returning record profits, with most making £100's of millions of profit and a few making £ billions,
But it's OK it's not like people are struggling to heat their homes or put food on their table so it's all good.

So that is £297 per year
You need a new calculator 60p a day is considerably less than £297 a year not that it changes your overall point. Basically British people are saps. We vote parties into power that have transferred the wealth of working people over the course of 50 years. This is just another example and to me we have, as a group of nations, asked companies to behave like this, through choosing governments that encourage it.

You need a new calculator 60p a day is considerably less than £297 a year not that it changes your overall point. Basically British people are saps. We vote parties into power that have transferred the wealth of working people over the course of 50 years. This is just another example and to me we have, as a group of nations, asked companies to behave like this, through choosing governments that encourage it.
More like new glasses:LOL: or a brain reboot!
£219 doh! though only just under half less:(

Last edited:
More like new glasses:LOL: or a brain reboot!
£219 doh! though only just under half less:(
The crazy thing is you did mix up the £219 for £297 but actually got the total right
219 x 28.2 million = 6,175,800,000
297 x 28.2 million = 8,375,400,000

Last edited:
Back