Energy usage - how much gas/electricity do you use?

Edit My Images
No
With another UK energy price rise I started to wonder how much energy does everyone use.
According to Ofgem, the average British household has 2.4 people living in it and uses 2,900 kWh of electricity and 12,000 kWh of gas.
This works out at 242 kWh of electricity and 1,000 kWh of gas per month.
We are family of 3, have 3 bedroom flat and we use more than that...
1940s cottage flat (4 in a block), around 70m2. 15 years old boiler (Vokera), gas CH, gas stove.

How much gas/electricity do you guys use per day/month? In average, considering your house size (flat or 2 level house).

Last edited:
Just looking at my energy use so far this year

Electricity 4177 kWh, Gas 3764 kWh

We've got a 3 bedroom semi

So this is your usage for last 10 months?
Do you have gas heating?

Last edited:
The problem is there are just so many variables to do any sort of comparison:
Size of rooms.
How well is a building insulated (actual figures not just what people believe)
The efficiency of appliances.
How people actually act within a building. (We will often have windows open for example, My wife has a habit when going outside to leave the living room door open as well as the back door. etc)
Does everything go through a tumble drier?
What electricity do people's hobbies use?
I could go on but you get the picture

The problem is there are just so many variables to do any sort of comparison:
Size of rooms.
How well is a building insulated (actual figures not just what people believe)
The efficiency of appliances.
How people actually act within a building. (We will often have windows open for example, My wife has a habit when going outside to leave the living room door open as well as the back door. etc)
Does everything go through a tumble drier?
What electricity do people's hobbies use?
I could go on but you get the picture

I agree, of course there are so many variables.
However, I just cannot believe that in average people use 2,900 kWh of electricity and 12,000 kWh of gas (around 15,000 kWh in total). Well, maybe this is average amount, but I do use more than that and I do not think that my 3 bedroom flat is above average in house size (around 70m2 flat).
That is why I wanted to ask, just in average, maybe mentioning what house size you have and if you use gas or electricity heating, which would make a difference in the split.

Last edited:
105m² house detached here in Scotland, gas CH, electric car (which accounts for approx half of the electricity figure)

Last year:
electricity ~ 8000kWh
gas - 3000kWh for the year

If you have a SMETS2 Smart Meter - try an app like Loop or Bright - then you can see your usage regularly updated on your smartphone (it should bring in up to 13 months history assuming you've lived there that long and had/have a working smartmeter)

Last edited:
We have an annual usage of 2,825kWh of electric and 20,600kWh of gas.
2 retirees using gas central heating in a house built over 200 years ago and around 135m2, we have done about as much as we can within reason to reduce our energy usage over the last 4-5 year having reduced both gas and electric consumption by about a 1/3.

Averages per month
200kwh Electric
400kwh Gas

2 Adults 2 children, 3 bed semi detached in the NW.

Last edited:
Dunno - Mrs Nod does the utility banking and gets the bills online.

A family of 2 (one of whom serves as family washerwoman) in a Victorian 4 bed semi. By the annual estimates on the bills (and these are likely too high, because reasons, but still) annual usage of 5,800Kwh Leccy and 26,000Kwh gas. Are we playing top trumps?

If you have a SMETS2 Smart Meter - try an app like Loop or Bright - then you can see your usage regularly updated on your smartphone (it should bring in up to 13 months history assuming you've lived there that long and had/have a working smartmeter)

Yes, Bright is a fantastic app. You can see usage in near real time. I'm on a mission to use no electricity from grid during the day. You can also use it to work out exactly how much is costs to make your own bread vs buying it from the local bakery :)

If you're looking to cut costs, then some of the overnight tariffs can work well.

But to answer the question....5 bed detached and Octopus reckons 2,200 leccy and 10k gas / year. I think they have overestimated the electricity - last months' combined bill was a shade over £50.

Yes, Bright is a fantastic app. You can see usage in near real time. I'm on a mission to use no electricity from grid during the day. You can also use it to work out exactly how much is costs to make your own bread vs buying it from the local bakery :)

If you're looking to cut costs, then some of the overnight tariffs can work well.

But to answer the question....5 bed detached and Octopus reckons 2,200 leccy and 10k gas / year. I think they have overestimated the electricity - last months' combined bill was a shade over £50.
That suggests you have solar? Can you see the usage/feed in balance on the meter? Also, does bright allow you to download your own data? Loop appears to be pretty dumb in that respect.

~12,000 kWh of gas
~4500 kWh of electricity
Over ~12 months, 2 adults, 1 young kid, 3 bed garage linked detach house, plus: 1 EV, solar PV.

Recently got second EV, so 99% mileage will be charged from home, instead of ~60% previously. Also going to get Vehicle-2-Home installed over next few months to function as home battery. So as long as there is off-peak or time-of-use electricity tariff, I will save money. I'm expect a huge reduction in my electricity prices next year as I time-shift vast majority of my usage to off-peak tariff. Currently paying 7.5p/kWh off peak price until next July.

Also been thinking of improving insulation for even toastier home. Recently added 200mm loft insulation to 300-400mm. Neighbour are doing their cavity wall, I'll wait and see their result, if no problems, I'll also get it done next year. Hopefully brings down gas usage and helps transition to heat pumps in the near future.

105m² house detached here in Scotland, gas CH, electric car (which accounts for approx half of the electricity figure)

Last year:
electricity ~ 8000kWh
gas - 3000kWh for the year

How is it possible that you use only 3000kWh per year with gas CH?
That would be 250kWh per month, then 8.3kWh per day.
For just an eaxmple, it is said that taking a bath (100l one) or 10 minutes shower on gas combi boiler takes around 4.5kWh.

I understand that nobody turn on the heat during summer, but at least here in Scotland you would turn it on during evenings in the period between November-February. Then take a shower/bath once a day. You may not have gas stove, or don't wash your dishes in a sink having dishwasher, but still. Trying to cut the costs, you can have a quick shower or not full bath once a day, taking around 3kWh. That's around 1000kWh per year per person. So 2000kWh for 2 people per year for just taking a bath/shower.

That suggests you have solar? Can you see the usage/feed in balance on the meter? Also, does bright allow you to download your own data? Loop appears to be pretty dumb in that respect.
I do. I can't see the feed in on that app but I can on Octopus a day later. (I have another app for real time). Bright have an api if you're geeky.

1970's semi with cavity and loft insulation, 2 adults and 2 kids. Gas central heating and electric oven/hob. No PV or electric car. :(

Last month (still not using central heating)
Electricity - 269kWh
Gas - 325.6kWh

I can't see a way to get an annual summary from Bulb.

EDIT: Estimated annual usage
Electricity - 3570kWh
Gas - 11101kWh

Last edited:
We have an annual usage of 2,825kWh of electric and 20,600kWh of gas.
2 retirees using gas central heating in a house built over 200 years ago and around 135m2, we have done about as much as we can within reason to reduce our energy usage over the last 4-5 year having reduced both gas and electric consumption by about a 1/3.

That I can believe.

1880's mid terrace cottage, moved in in late December 21. Four floors only two heated though. Two adults most of the year (son at uni) Installed a new combi boiler in late Feb this year so that should be helping. Current annual usage:

1667899944324.png

Total energy use per annum (Nov 21 to Now)

5300kWh Electricity
~2000l Kerosene
~1 x 47kg LPG
~4 tonnes wood

17th Century 3 bedroom property with 30" thick rubble walls, earth/flag floors. As we are both retired heating is scheduled in relation to comfort/health. Temp set @ 19C. No gas which is odd as the main Scotland/England Gas interconnectors run approx 5 miles away and the UK/Ireland gas interconnector about 2 miles away.

Insulation is as good as we can get it ... ceiling & roof insulated, double glazing all round. wall insulation is a non starter due to the cost of implementation and the pay back time

How is it possible that you use only 3000kWh per year with gas CH?
That would be 250kWh per month, then 8.3kWh per day.
For just an eaxmple, it is said that taking a bath (100l one) or 10 minutes shower on gas combi boiler takes around 4.5kWh.

I understand that nobody turn on the heat during summer, but at least here in Scotland you would turn it on during evenings in the period between November-February. Then take a shower/bath once a day. You may not have gas stove, or don't wash your dishes in a sink having dishwasher, but still. Trying to cut the costs, you can have a quick shower or not full bath once a day, taking around 3kWh. That's around 1000kWh per year per person. So 2000kWh for 2 people per year for just taking a bath/shower.
Insulation. Lots of it, super efficient boiler, waste heat from everyone & everything... 10 minute shower lol - I'm tall, inflexible & on the larger side I never take more than 5 (3 is probably the norm)

So this is your usage for last 10 months?
Do you have gas heating?
It is, we've got gas central heating, but it's only just started to be used, I usually switch it on usually around midday, then it's off around 9pm, obviously the gas is only used during the spring and summer for hot water.

The cavity walls were insulated along with as much insulation they could get in the loft, usually the electricity is lower, but the last few years we have been travelling as much as we did before Covid, hopefully that's going to change in 2023, as I'm due to retire in January.

Insulation. Lots of it, super efficient boiler, waste heat from everyone & everything... 10 minute shower lol - I'm tall, inflexible & on the larger side I never take more than 5 (3 is probably the norm)
I know, I cannot imagine 10 minutes shower, 5 - fine, 30 minutes bath - sure, but 10 minutes shower? Maybe including sex with the missus? :D
But yeah, that's what google says when checking energy usage. I only have bath, so taking full bath is reasonable and 4.5-5kWh sounds right.

Last edited:
I wonder how much you can safe on installing a new boiler. I have 15 years old Vokera.
but then if its worth doing it, while new oiler can be £1000-2000, installation same, around £2k.
Unless I could get some cowboy to install it for me ;)
Scottish Power or British Gas would be even more expensive.
Anyone installed new boiler lately? How much was it?

I'm in the process of replacing my 22 year old boiler right now, Fortunately (or unfortunately?) the Potterton Suprima was very efficient for a non-condensing boiler, but by my calculations if the efficiency of the new generation is to be believed*, replacing it may save £400+ per year, I'm budgeting £3K, £1,500 for the boiler and same again, including system flush.

*Something on which I will be taking a close and sceptical look. My main reason is to change before it craps out, savings would eb nice

Last edited:
We installed our new kit at the very start of March this year:

Worcester 8000 Life 35Kw with magnetic filter and full chemical flush + 12 Year warranty and Worcester Easy RF Smart Control with 12 year warranty

We over-specced on the boiler in part because the lower spec was actually the same price (no idea why) and also so that if we want to put heating in the attic and/or basement then we have the spare capacity.

Cost was £2616 installed.

I'm in the process of replacing my 22 year old boiler right now, Fortunately (or unfortunately?) the Potterton Suprima was very efficient for a non-condensing boiler, but by my calculations if the efficiency of the new generation is to be believed*, replacing it may save £400+ per year, I'm budgeting £3K, £1,500 for the boiler and same again, including system flush.

*Something on which I will be taking a close and sceptical look. My main reason is to change before it craps out, savings would eb nice
The key to hitting efficiency claims of condensing boiler is to have as low flow temperature as possible. It works by running water over the exhaust gas. Typical exhaust gas is at 55-60c, so lowering flow temperature below this, target 50c or below, will allow you to get close to the quoted efficiency figures.

Currently got mine at 48c radiator flow temperature. Still warms up the house very nicely, albeit slightly slower than before.

Currently estimating Gas 16500 kwh electricity 5600 kwh annually. NE England, large 1980s 4 bedroom house with two retirees rattling around in it. Cavity & loft insulation & double glazed. 9 year old Worcester Bosch Greenstar system (not combi) condensing boiler, 2 zones with TRV on most radiators. Boiler flow temperature set to 55C Thermostats set to 20C morning and evening, 16C rest of the time. Hot water set to be on morning and evening for a couple of hours.

Prior to the current energy crisis we were paying around £100-£130 a month for energy, now at £230 a month, £300 in credit to energy supplier at the start of November.

Re boiler flow temperature; to achieve a target room temperature, is it more economical to run a condensing boiler at a lower temperature for a longer period, or a higher temperature for a shorter period?

Re boiler flow temperature; to achieve a target room temperature, is it more economical to run a condensing boiler at a lower temperature for a longer period, or a higher temperature for a shorter period?
Got to remember, when it "runs", it is not equal to when it is using gas.

The actual gas burning part depends more on amount of energy needed to heat home, there shouldn't be much difference in gas usage assuming everything to be equal. But things aren't equal, the lower the flow temperature, the higher condensing boiler's efficiency due to more heat recovery in the condensing part.

This is my source of info, heating engineers (not to be confused with installers):
View: https://youtu.be/lu0k8A7K2kY

Currently run mine at 50c flow temp. It came set to a much higher figure so needed to be changed. Simple job, press a couple of buttons.

(y) guilty as charged
I might well monkey around with the API< but the reason I was contemplating that rather than simply using the data.n3rgy.com service (allowing you direct access to the data collector) was that I had convinced myself I had thrown out the remote display in a fit of pique once my Gen 1 (now successfully upgraded to Gen 2) meter installed 10 years ago became useless when I changed supplier. It was, after all, a singularly un-smart piece of smart tech. You need its MAC ID to access the service, and it is only on that piece of kit.

But a little voice in my head kept saying -"You threw something away? You? REALLY?? Throw ANYTHING away?"

I then asked myself, what would I have done with it, had I _not_ thrown it away? Mebbe, lobbed it behind the meter in disgust? Why, yes, so I did!! SCORE!!!!

3 bed semi, through lounge, study and conservatory, outer London, 2 retirees.
For the 12 months up to March 2022 we used: Gas 12196, Electricity 3487, so Gas about the Ofgem average and Electricity a bit higher - Gas CH with electric heater in the conservatory.
Since then we have been trying to cut down.

Our bathroom is at the back and the boiler is at the front of the bungalow. I tend to use the shower mostly as it is heated at the delivery point. The sink takes at least two minutes to run through hot and then all the hot water in the pipe is wasted as it just cools again! We've been looking at an undersink heater to avoid the waste.

Currently run mine at 50c flow temp. It came set to a much higher figure so needed to be changed. Simple job, press a couple of buttons.
Mine does it all automatically via Opentherm.
At the minute swapping all my radiator valves for auto-balancing valves as well.
Evohome has paid for itself as well with room by room control.

3 bed semi. Gas heating electric hob and oven. We use close to typical use values. I don’t have 2020-2021 numbers off hand as between my supplier going bust and BG my bill is a mess but I worked out from meter readings what we used and for 2019 hit typical use

1930s double brick 3 bed semi, large modern single storey rear extension kitchen/family room is mostly used. Just the wife and I plus dogs and cats(great lap warmers) gas for hot water and heating, electric shower. Heating mostly used if friends or family visiting as we're happy with a fleece thrown over the legs unless it's proper cold, a dehumidifier is also used. Estimated Electric per annum 3233kwh gas 1130kwh, current supplier Bulb.

I am pretty 'nerdy' I love all these 'stats.

I have my energy usage in Kwh for Gas & Electric for every year since 2006 ! :headbang:
I bet you all are 'gagging' to see them all ? however I will just share last years with you:- Gas 12,066 Kwh Elec 2,479Kwh. So pretty average ?
This for two retired folk living in a 1983 gas centrally 3 bed detached house with dble glazing and cavity wall insulation.
A factor, we live in North Yorkshire (50 miles south of Newcastle) for you 'southerners' and it gets cold 'oop ere' :)

Back