England Etiquette

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
As someone from the US/outside the UK is there any etiquette that I should be aware of?

I walked up on a pond along a foot path the other day and an individual was fishing. From the body language I felt a bit out of place and that I may have been disturbing him.

Any tips are appreciated and there’s no concern on insulting my intelligence.

Just a general observation......

We have a large lake near us that is a lovely place to see waterfowl but it is also a sailing lake and has angling stations.

So FWIW when I have seen any anglers they are mostly quite focused on what they are doing so IMO are trying to ignore others using the footpath. Having said that, if when I glance across and they notice me I normally just say "hi".

So don't stress about it but possibly consider that a lot of Brits are not as outgoing as one may get the impression that you cousins across the pond are ;)

Many anglers would be concerned by people approaching the water and throwing a shadow onto the water or being visible from the water, hence spooking the fish and rendering it a waste of time fishing. That having been said, fishing alongside a footpath is a sure prospect of having people pass and approach - life is for sharing :)

As someone from the US/outside the UK is there any etiquette that I should be aware of?

I walked up on a pond along a foot path the other day and an individual was fishing. From the body language I felt a bit out of place and that I may have been disturbing him.

Any tips are appreciated and there’s no concern on insulting my intelligence.
He was probably annoyed that you didn’t ask him about the one that got away…

As for any etiquette, I’d say it’s no different from anywhere else. Just be quiet and respectful. If it’s a public footpath, it’s a public footpath.

In my experience, it's all about the fisherperson.

Some of them you couldn't distract with a starting pistol... :naughty:

Perdita and fish tanks Rolleiflex.jpg

Last edited:
As an angler, fishermen are the blokes who supply your fish and chips, if I was fishing alongside a public walkway I’d be expecting all sorts of disturbance, dogs jumping in the water, the inevitable “caught anything yet, mate?” Pushbikes, pushchairs, canoes and those stand up paddleboard things. All of them are a targeted ache in the gluteus maximus but, you’re fishing in a public area so live with it!

If I was fishing a club water or anywhere private I’d be immediately suspicious of anyone not carrying fishing gear. Bottom line, it’s a public area, so no need to conduct yourself in any special manner.

just my two penn’oth!

Back