EOS 1vHS and SlideFilms

Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone,
I have a question, Why are my photographs dark :thinking:

When I use my EOS 1vhs with velvia 50 or provia 100 I get my images approximately 1 stop (I think) darker, but when I used my Contaxt G2 the images was approximately 2 STOP lighter.

Is my lightmeter in EOS 1v wrong or its me doing something wrong?
I have not used the EOS 1v that much, started with the EOS 10D and now I want to use my film camera.

Thank you in advance for any help.

It's not uncommon for different cameras to give different exposure readings anyway, and you need to also make sure that both cameras are using the same metering method/pattern. 3 stops difference seems an awful lot though!

With regard to slide film, it's always been more unforgiving of exposure errors, and the conventional wisdom has always been to under-expose with reversal film by about a half a stop to avoid the highlights blowing. There's no printing process with slides, so no opportunity to correct any errors - once the highlights are blown there's no recovering. Slight under-exposure with slide film gives much better colour saturation too.

I don't think there's an easy answer to your cameras giving different results. You need to make test exposures with each camera and adjust the ISO of each camera accordingly.

You could also check both cameras against a known accurate light meter .

Do the shots from the G2 look OK or over-exposed?

Actually, the sensible thing to do is take grey card meterings from both cameras, which should give you a good indication of how accurate they are. You've got me at it now - I've just done grey card readings from the G2, the 50D and the Sekonic meter and they're all within 1//3 stop.

Thank you for advice, the G2 shots are slightly over exposed.
and the EOS 1v are a bit darker, when I watch my slides from 1v with projector, the colors are dull, but G2 have the velvia like colors.

I got advice from a friend today that I should change the ISO settings, if I use velvia 50 I should force my camera 1v to read 40 ISO. this should giv me those vivid colors/more saturation.

the idea with lightmeter is good, I should try it on a greycard, I have the Sekonic 358.

I would certainly compare the lightmeter readings between the two cameras (and your digi bodies and lightmeter at the same time), it may also seem like an obvious thing, but you haven't got any exposure compensation set...

Back