EOS 5D-Canon official press release

S

Steve

Now officially released by Canon so we can tell you all about it. Forget the gossip here are the facts..

The full frame 12.8 Megapixel EOS 5D. Discreet enough to avoid attention, with resolution enough to keep the toughest picture editors happy. Travel light without compromise.
Features

• • 12.8 MP full frame CMOS sensor
    • 3 fps 60 JPEG image burst
    • 9-point AF with 6 Assist AF points
    • 2.5" LCD
    • Picture Style image processing
    • DIGIC II
    • Records RAW/JPEG images
    • Digital Photo Professional software
    • Compact magnesium alloy body
    • Connectivity options

One sensitive eye deserves another.

Full frame
With no cropping or magnification effect, the EOS 5D's 12.8 MP full frame CMOS sensor (35.8 x 23.9mm) offers full freedom of expression. Wide lenses stay wide and the viewfinder is bright and open. Subtle tonal gradations are reproduced in shadow, midtone and highlights. A low-pass filter and on-chip circuitry suppress false colours and noise. Low (L:50) and high (H:3200) ISO settings extend the standard 100-1600 range.

3 fps
The EOS 5D can shoot a 60 large JPEG image burst at 3 fps.

Auto focus and flash
9-point AF is supported with 6 Assist AF points to improve subject tracking. AF modes include One Shot AF, AI SERVO AF and AI FOCUS AF. E-TTL II communicates with EX series Speedlites for consistently accurate flash exposures, even with reflective or off-centre subjects.

Large LCD
Illuminated by 6 LEDs, the bright 2.5" 230K pixel LCD is viewable from 85° in almost all directions.

Picture Style
Picture Style pre-sets simplify in-camera control over image processing, including a Monochrome mode supporting Black & White shooting with filter and toning effects. Picture Style pre-sets can be likened to different film types - each one offering a different colour response. Each pre-set has control over sharpness, contrast, colour tone and saturation.

DIGIC II
DIGIC II renders colours with precision and accuracy. Fast and efficient, DIGIC II minimises power consumption for prolonged battery life and delivers instant 0.2 second start up time.

JPEG and RAW
JPEG and RAW images can be written simultaneously.

Digital Photo Professional software
The Digital Photo Professional software permits high-speed processing of lossless RAW images.

Compact and robust
The EOS 5D's tough, compact magnesium alloy body weighs just 810 grams; ideal for assignments requiring discretion.

Options and connectivity
The EOS 5D is compatible with over 60 EF lenses (excl. EF-S) and all EX Series Speedlite flash units. Untethered shooting is available with the optional WFT-E1 Wireless File Transmitter. USB 2.0 Hi-Speed permits fast file uploads, while Video Out allows review on a regular TV. An optional magnesium alloy battery grip extends shooting time and offers comfortable portrait shooting with a vertical shutter release. A Precision Matte focusing screen is interchangeable with Grid and Easy Manual Focus screen options.

Pictures following now as I upload them :)

5d-front.jpg

5d-back.jpg

Any one else think it looks very similar to the 10D?

We could start a book and have a bit of a flutter on the first member likely to weaken and buy one. :D

Given that I skipped the 20D, the 5D seems like the logical upgrade from my 10D. Just the price thing being an issue.....

it wont be me, my wife will assure you of that!

Anyone notice the magnesium battery grip mentioned in there ;) Wonder if it has been designed to resolve the issues reported on the 20D grips?

Reading more info..it has spot metering but no EF-S mount and no weather sealing. That kind of says a lot about Canons market for this camera.

petemc said:
Given that I skipped the 20D, the 5D seems like the logical upgrade from my 10D. Just the price thing being an issue.....

Uk list price of £2539

US: $3,299
EU: €3,699 (inc VAT)

It's obviously a compromise between quality and speed, so it's not going to appeal to sports photographers.

Steve said:
Uk list price of £2539

Not cheap then! I thought it might be around the £2K mark.

I thought so too.

Obviously the above is list prices which will be pretty close at the beginning as stock will be difficult to get but as more become available I gues the prices will fall as well. I doubt very much if you will see anywhere near to £2000 for a good while though.

The advantages at the wide end of the lens range are obvious enough, but apart from that I'd say you'd need to think long and hard about upgrading from a 1.6X camera unless you're making REALLY big prints. If you aren't, then the money is largely wasted, although there are obvious advantages in cropping and retaining image quality too.

It's great that the price of these 1:1 chips is coming down slowly though. Part of the problem I believe is Canon still scrap a high proportion of these chips out of each batch.

Part of the problem I believe is Canon still scrap a high proportion of these chips out of each batch

I thought they sell them to Nikon. :naughty:

I just wish they had got this chip sorted in time to go in the 1d mkII. If I had full frame coverage it would have been a far more usefull bit of kit for me.

Steve said:
Reading more info..it has spot metering but no EF-S mount and no weather sealing. That kind of says a lot about Canons market for this camera.

IMHO, the 5D spec could have been written by social & wedding photographers who occassionally need to be able to take plenty of consecutive shots, but not at a high burst speed, who don't need weatherproofing but who do need very high resolution to make the move to digital from their Hasselblads, Mamiyas and Bronicas, and who don't want to spend the sort of money that a 1Ds or a digital back would cost.

dazzajl said:
I thought they sell them to Nikon. :naughty:

I just wish they had got this chip sorted in time to go in the 1d mkII. If I had full frame coverage it would have been a far more usefull bit of kit for me.

They did - it's called the 1Ds :) ;)

Adrian said:
IMHO, the 5D spec could have been written by social & wedding photographers who occassionally need to be able to take plenty of consecutive shots, but not at a high burst speed, who don't need weatherproofing but who do need very high resolution to make the move to digital from their Hasselblads, Mamiyas and Bronicas, and who don't want to spend the sort of money that a 1Ds or a digital back would cost.

And there are alot of wedding photographers out there can afford this price range and it will look attractive to them. This certainly will be the camera to convert many of them over to digital, not only that but they are buying into a brand..that's another very smart move by Canon.

They did - it's called the 1Ds

Well kinda....... but also kinda not.

I just want my own personal pic of the bits I like from several models.

The chip from the original 1Ds would have been great with some of the later system bits and 9 odd frames per second of the 1D mkII .......

... and all for the cost of a 350D of course. :coat: :LOL:

Steve said:
Any one else think it looks very similar to the 10D?
The back does, minus a button thats replaced by the joystick thingy.
The front is totally different, and so is the badge.

I won't be getting one, I'm sticking with the 10D. ;)

Steve said:
Uk list price of £2539

Ouch. Ok I might just go for the 20D and move to the 5D when funds permit it.

Stick with the 10D Pete, until you have the funds for the 5D.
By that time the price will ahve come down a bit aswell.

The only real reason to upgrade is if you find the resolution isn't suitable for your type of photography.

Buffer speed is my main reason. Nearly every time I go out I have to get a coffee while the 10D's buffer empties. That and better noise handling for gigs are the two main reasons why I want to upgrade.

Buffer speed can be your freind.
If you use it wisely you'll think about the shot you want, and not just fire the camera in continuous mode hoping to get the shot.;)

Also consider using the fast Cf cards if you are not already, it may be your card is slowing down the buffer write speed a little.

I'm currently using 40x cards. Like at the Southport fireworks shows, I'm always standing around waiting for the buffer to empty so I can switch cards :(

I dropped by Jacobs Photographic in Bloomsbury yesterday to pick up something and the salesman mentioned that they had already received 29 pre-orders for the 5D. They also have a good range of second-hand equipment - apparently pro-film bodies are very slow movers, lenses shift well and second-hand (and new) medium format gear sells well too - quite a few bargains if anyone wanted to try MF.

milou said:
I dropped by Jacobs Photographic in Bloomsbury yesterday to pick up something and the salesman mentioned that they had already received 29 pre-orders for the 5D. They also have a good range of second-hand equipment - apparently pro-film bodies are very slow movers, lenses shift well and second-hand (and new) medium format gear sells well too - quite a few bargains if anyone wanted to try MF.

Some coincidence - I was in Jacobs in Newcastle yesterday and while I was chatting to the manager (actually a keen photographer rather than a Dixons-type clone) he said they'd had a surprising amount of interest from photographers wanting to trade in both MF and 35mm gear. He assumed most of them were portrait/wedding photographers. We got onto the subject of why they'd gone there and not the local "pro" shop and apparently they were going take their eyes out on trade-ins. Doesn't surprise me - a lot of so-called pro shops overcharge, provide little in the way of service apart from opinionated twaddle and stock next to nothing useful anyway. No wonder the big chains and internet are so popular - the two nearest decent photographic shops to me are 40 miles away in Middlesbrough and 70 miles away in Carlisle.

I like Jacobs because, as you say, they are usually staffed by keen photographers. I had a lot of help from them choosing my tripod and the appropriate ball-head. It's not too bad in Southampton - the local London Camera Exchange have a Canon "pro-centre" and they're helpful although the best place is a small independent shop http://www.cityphotographic.co.uk/ - look at all the gear in the window!

Steve said:
Uk list price of £2539

Why do we have to pay more than the equivalent of USA at current exchange rates??
over £600 more?? :annoyed:

Most of the difference is down to VAT and import duty.
You'll have to blame Oliver Cronwell for it, it really is his fault.

Plus there's more than a bit of profiteering.

Simon King said:
Why do we have to pay more than the equivalent of USA at current exchange rates??
over £600 more?? :annoyed:

As Matt said, VAT & Duty account for a lot, but the prices you see on US websites/mail order don't include local and state taxes which can add almost the same as the VAT and duty in many cases, then, as Steep says, profiteering has to be taken into account. Rip-Off Britain is alive and well which is why the likes of Sigma have an ongoing campaign against "grey" inports, citing may valid reasons for not buying grey, but failing cases to explain why prices for their gear are more expensive in the UK, even when duty and VAT are excluded.

I don't know why I don't like that 5D .. a full frame but slower than the 20D .. and 3 time the price .... i'll wait to see the next step :)

Joe T said:
I agree. Plus its not a Nikon....

See there is always a good point, it really would be overpriced if it had Nikon stamped on it ;)

Steve said:
See there is always a good point, it really would be overpriced if it had Nikon stamped on it ;)

Ooooh...

/gets popcorn and sits back.

This forum is not any more for Canon fanboys than it is for Nikon fanboys, both have their strengths and weaknesses. From your short reply I took it to mean that you where indeed starting one of those totally pointless "mine is better than yours" posts which is why I replied as I did above.

Anyone that knows me will tell you that I am no more a Canon fanboy than you are ;)
If my reply above has insulted you then I offer you a full apology.

Back