EOS 5D MK3 driving me nuts. Is this a 5D thing or is it me? Help!

• Thread starter Deleted member 89874
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89874

Ok, just got a Canon EOS 5D MK3 and there is one thing that's driving me nuts. I've been through the manual, the menus, but it would appear that what my old Nikon cameras (and even my friend's EOS 60D) did, the 5D MK3 can't.

What I want it to do is what my previous Nikon D3s and my friends EOS 60D do and that's when you press the shutter button half way down the focus (in one shot mode) zips into focus and holds to allow you to re-compose. Also, the exposure locks and holds at the same time as the focus so when you re-compose (keeping shutter button half pressed) both focus AND exposure do not change.

However, with the 5D MK3 when you do this as you re-compose the shot the exposure continues to change as you move the camera around, which is a pain. I know you can press the little exposure lock button on the back with your thumb as a workaround, but for me this is a pain as I have to thumble around to find it and if I'm rushing with wildlife shots I keep missing the button on the back and missing loads of shots, or getting them, but in Aperture Priority, the exposure is typically off by a stop or two.

So, is it me being thick or does the 5D MK3 not have this feature and if not, why not, as the lesser Canon APSC cameras do have this feature and so does every Nikon DSLR on the market too.

Not a fan of back button focus, tried it and didn't get on. Prefer the way I'm used to with Nikon D3s of friends EOS 60D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, just got a Canon EOS 5D MK3 and there is one thing that's driving me nuts. I've been through the manual, the menus, but it would appear that what my old Nikon cameras (and even my friend's EOS 60D) did, the 5D MK3 can't.

What I want it to do is what my previous Nikon D3s and my friends EOS 60D do and that's when you press the shutter button half way down the focus (in one shot mode) zips into focus and holds to allow you to re-compose. Also, the exposure locks and holds at the same time as the focus so when you re-compose (keeping shutter button half pressed) both focus AND exposure do not change.

However, with the 5D MK3 when you do this as you re-compose the shot the exposure continues to change as you move the camera around, which is a pain. I know you can press the little exposure lock button on the back with your thumb as a workaround, but for me this is a pain as I have to thumble around to find it and if I'm rushing with wildlife shots I keep missing the button on the back and missing loads of shots, or getting them, but in Aperture Priority, the exposure is typically off by a stop or two.

So, is it me being thick or does the 5D MK3 not have this feature and if not, why not, as the lesser Canon APSC cameras do have this feature and so does every Nikon DSLR on the market too.
You need to use evaluative metering mode.

I think it's called one shot AF.

I'm using 'one-shot' focus.

So, in Evaluative Metering mode if I am, for example, photographing a model, full length, but only her head is correctly lit and the rest of her body is in a lot of dark and shadow and I am taking a full-length shot, if I aim the centre of the viewfinder at her eye to gain focus and exposure, then re-compose to get her whole body in (but by now the centre of the viewfinder is at her waist in the dark) will the metering (in aperture priority mode) retain the metering it took on her face or will it stay at the centre of the viewfinder as I move the camera i.e. will my shot be seriously overexposed on her face as the meter reading area is now in the shadows of her waist?

That surely depends what dress she is wearing, the difference in tone between the recompositions?

Anyway, why focus and recompose? I didn't even do that with the 5D2.

Face almost white, dress black and in darkness. Massive contrast.

Really, me? the guy who said 'how difficult can it be' should grow up you tosser. There always has to be some f*****g w****r who can't stick to the question in hand. Here we f*****g go, way off topic now. Never mind, I got my question answered on another forum, that isn't full of w******s like you Caerus.

Sadly you can only link exposure to AF point with 1 series canon cameras.
Manual exposure is your best option.

Nigel,

I've just tried three cameras, one Sony and two Panasonics, and all have options for locking the focus and the exposure in various combinations so it's highly likely that it's in there somewhere but maybe the wording is a little vague?

Until you work it out is it possible to use a/the exposure lock button?

Other than that, Nigel, I hope you don't mind me saying that your last post might be viewed by the mods as being a bit much so maybe you could have a rethink and edit it so that it's a little less likely to attract a mod and the possibility of a short rest from the forum :D

Page 173 of the manual describes AE lock.

Other than that, Nigel, I hope you don't mind me saying that your last post might be viewed by the mods as being a bit much so maybe you could have a rethink and edit it so that it's a little less likely to attract a mod and the possibility of a short rest from the forum :D

Understatement of the year, I'd say..........

the-ban-hammer-is-coming.jpg

Really, me? the guy who said 'how difficult can it be' should grow up you tosser. There always has to be some f*****g w****r who can't stick to the question in hand. Here we f*****g go, way off topic now. Never mind, I got my question answered on another forum, that isn't full of w******s like you Caerus.

As I said, grow up and good luck finding a new forum after you get banned

Too late!

Awww Man!
Now I won't know if my page 173 suggestion sorted the problem.
Its not permanent just like Arnie, he'll be back (y)
( for awhile at least ;) )

Awww Man!
Now I won't know if my page 173 suggestion sorted the problem.

Ok then, i'll try and answer on the OP's behalf

No it ***ing didn't you useless ****er :)

If that's what creative writing looks like you can stick it right up your arse

Last edited:
You say you have just got the camera is it new or used?
I have just played with my 5DMk2 which I have set to BBF.
In Cfn 1V there is the option to set the various exposure/shutter modes.
For BBF its option 3 but option 1 is exposure and AF lock on the half press of the shutter which works fine for focus/ meter and recompose I just wonder if the setting on yours is the same, hence my question about new or used.
Sorry it should be option 0

Last edited:
OP didn't last long... only a couple of months, maybe it might shake up some others that continue to use creative writing :)

Oh well, I hope he sorts the problem even if it means returning to no ink.

maybe he suffers from tirets !!!!
what a laugh though while it lasted that's how people talk off the forum
can't wait for his ban to get lifted
its only on forums you get these whiter than white people who never say
or do anything bad !!!

BBF and exposure compensation for very quick exposure adjustment is how I'd do it.
It can take a while to get used to BBF, but it's worth persevering imo.

Which is? (Can’t be bothered to download the 5d3 manual just to get a conclusion to this interesting thread :oops: :$)
It turns out curiosity got the better of me. It seems page 70 details AF and one shot mode with evaluative metering.

DE127367-2653-4D08-B559-B2A7089A17A1.jpeg

Isn’t that what was discussed as the possible answer at the start of the thread (posts 4 & 5)?

Last edited:
Back