EOS Bodies

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
So, I was going to go for an EOS 1, maybe even a 1N, but a bit of research shows me the EOS 3 is a better model pretty much all round - yes? So, if I cannot afford an EOS 1V (£400+ !!) I should start looking for a 3? Not sure a 5 is really that much of an upgrade from the Elan II...

Arthur

aaahh... so a 3 is defo off the menu then?

and an alternative take on things... I had a EOS-5 that was great for about half a dozen films last year before expiring with a case of electrical never-get-overs. Swapped for a EOS-3 that's never missed a beat since. I've a mate who is an ex-pro shooter - had 2xEOS 3 bodies when he worked the cruise ships. Whilst on them he was shooting 20 rolls of 36 every night, and never had a film wreck in 8 months work. He's still got them, both still work perfectly, though he seldom uses them any more since getting out of the game.

I'd have no hesitation whatsoever recommending a EOS-3 to anyone who wants a EOS film body that handles like (or out-handles pretty much any of the xxxD/xxD bodies).

Hmm - no opinion on the 1V then? I have the Elan II as you know, as well as the 400D and the 10D... I could hit the ground running then with a 3?

Hmm - no opinion on the 1V then? I have the Elan II as you know, as well as the 400D and the 10D... I could hit the ground running then with a 3?
With the obvious proviso that any EF-S lenses won't work, yep!

No point in EF/s is there? Unless I got a 300D still - but no - and anyway, I have a small hacksaw should the situation ever arise
whistle.gif

I used to have a EOS 3 before selling and I found it very good. The AF was similar to my 40D and had some nifty features such as being able to change the film half way through.

What would you use it for?

I used to have a EOS 3 before selling and I found it very good. The AF was similar to my 40D and had some nifty features such as being able to change the film half way through.

What would you use it for?

Knocking down walls ?

Beating muggers brains out ?

or how about something left-field - Taking Photographs ? :LOL:

Tut tut BY, leave him alone! I have Canon digital bodies Liam, so it only seems right to have a Canon film body that can make use of the glass I have around here (hence the iX as well for Mrs A) rather than use it exclusively on the digitals. I like the eye control and the 3 gives more points (more af points all round actually) and is a basically better, faster, neater, *lighter* model than either my Elan II or the 1 and 1N.

:LOL:

Sorry, what sort of photography...

But its quite a heavy duty camera so could be used for all of the above if needed.

The EOS 3 is good but personally I found the EOS iV a great camera, the spec is higher & a real work horse. Total waterproofing & dust proof with L series lens

No point in EF/s is there? Unless I got a 300D still - but no - and anyway, I have a small hacksaw should the situation ever arise
whistle.gif

Only came up with the EF-S lens issue, as you mentioned the 400D and the 10D - I just thought you may have had kit lenses with them, that wouldn't work on the full-frame.

I've kind of that situation going on. I've got a 450D, with the kit 18-55 and 55-250 plastic fantastics, plus a sigma 10-20. All three of these lenses are NBG on the EOS3. Fortunately, as I mentioned, I've a mate who's got a couple of old EOS3's and some rather nice lenses to go with 'em... Old, but still quite nice. 17-35 f2.8L,28-70f2.8L,70-200f2.8L an a couple of primes (50mmf1.4 USM and 85mm f1.2L USM) - he's a really nice bloke, doesn't want to get rid of them, but never gets the time to use 'em, so I get to use 'em if I need to. That and my own obligatory nifty fifty and a 28-105 USM sees me through pretty much anything.

aaahh... so a 3 is defo off the menu then?

Sorry, seems I didn't make myself clear.

I said while it lasted cos I sold it, not cos it died on me!

I loved using it... had to sell it as it wasn't getting much use due to a move over to digital.

Had I been a richer man I would still have it.

I do have a few EOS>something-else adapters here, not averse to using manual at all (prefer it in fact) but I do like AF at my age, I like the EC and I like 5+ fps as well. The Elan will do until I can get something but there's only one 1V I can find atm - I mean that's actuall a planetary rather than cosmic price that is ...

Ah Richard, thanks for clearing that up... back on then :D

Nobody shouting for the 5 then?

The 5's a nice enough camera - but if i'd the choice of a 5 at £25 or a 3 at £140, i'd pay the difference every day, and twice on Sunday! This from a yorkshireman with a scottish nickname :LOL:

I have both the 5 & the 3, use them both for different films. The 3 will always be my first choice, have had many a fim go through it and apart from one ripped frame apparently from a sproket pulling a litte too hard (so the lab said), i have never had a problem.

the 5 is relatively new to me and its still a great camera, i havent finished a roll yet so cant speak for the prints but not long now!

I have a variation on the EOS1n which is the RS version. Great camera but it has the added booster unit (which is seperate on the 1 and 1n models) permanently attached making it heavier than the EOS 3 or 5 mentioned above.

However when used with USM lens it is great, very quick, metering is spot on, handles well and just works really well all the time. Think it aso has better weather proffing than the EOS 1 or 1n.

Oh and adding to what BY said you can probably hammer nails in with it as well :LOL:

OK then... the general opinion seems to be forget the 5, go for the 3, if a 1 then make it the 1V or RS - sound right?

Arthur

PS : because the 3 out-performs the 1 and the 1N

go for the 3, belter of a camera. Will be picking up another roll tonight, I shot with it this weekend.

1 and 1n in the classifieds now :(

My main camera is the 1V.
I love it, it's really great.
I think the EOS 3 is similar to the 1V in features, except in build, and the 3 has the eye-controlled focus.

Good comparison table here:
http://photonotes.org/reviews/1-1n-3-1v/

Thats a brilliant comparison - have to say the EOS-3 comes out pretty well at about a 1/3 or less of the price of the 1V (y)

I'd say get an EOS3, it's a beast of a camera - feels every bit as good as a 1 Series - even better with the battery grip. The only minor gripe I have with it is there's no dioptre adjustment in the viewfinder, but having said that the eye control works really well for me -even wearing specs.

Excuse me for butting in on this thread but how would an EOS 650 fit in the range of cameras. I know it was the first of the EOS range nut was it purely an amateur model ?
Thanks
Simon

I thought the EOS600 was the first in the range?

I thought the EOS600 was the first in the range?
I stand corrected it it was but I was going from this http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/camer...&camera2=*&camera3=*&camera4=*&camera5=eos650

The main reason for asking was I have one in very good condition and was wondering if it would be worth posting on here for sale? hoping it would go to a good home. If it was worth peanuts then i would rather keep it for sentimental value.

I used it at Oulton park for many years in the late 80's and 90's but it now hasnt been used for ages.

My apologies the EOS 600 wasn't released until 1989.

As you know I have EOS 5 and love it. Have seen them for £25-50 in varying states. I think to kit mine out with a grip and remote it has cost me £65 and have just stuck my 50mm f1.8 on it for the moment. It seems to work nicely and sems solid enough - probably comparable to your 10D in size and feel I would have thought...

Rob - the 5 has no eye control though unless I am mistaken? I like the EC - hence the Elan - so would not want to lose it.

Rob - the 5 has no eye control though unless I am mistaken? I like the EC - hence the Elan - so would not want to lose it.

EOS-5 has got eye control - but as there are only 5 AF points across the centre of the frame, and a DOF preview mark, it's quite limited in comparison to the EOS-3 say. Also, it only works in landscape format - turn the camera on it's side and the eye-control switches off :shrug:

Oh, then the Elan is better there then even though it only has three... at least they work all the time. And the grip was only £10 delivered, new OEM too!

it's a shame my EOS5 came down with some electrical gremlin or other - I really liked how it handled to be honest - If I could get it going again, i'd definitely take it out as a second body - save having to shoot partly film, partly digital, wouldn't it...

Dammit - 1v has no eye control either (and I fancied the magnesium body :) ) so it's looking like a 3 when funds allow. Now then - who needs an Elan II with grip...
whistle.gif

Enough - I have placed an ad in the classified section to trade my Rollei for an EOS 3 body. If you have one please go there and reply!

Back