EOS R - or Fuji X-T3

Name
Ewan Black
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - I'm new to this site - so first of all a big thank you (to whoever you may be - lol) - for adding me in.

I'm a Canon EOS R user, and over the past few months have found myself gravitating towards the Fuji X system - in particular the X-T3 (I don't do any video work, hence not the X-T4).

The EOS R is perfectly capable - more so than it's owner - the problem is that I'm just not in love with it any more. I guess if I were to try to explain why, all I could come up with is that it sometimes feels like I'm shooting a computer rather than a camera.

Now I should say that I'm 62 years young, and have grown up with film cameras with dials for shutter speed, and lenses that had aperture rings - which the EOS doesn't have -but the X-T4 does.

So I suppose my question is this - should I seek some form of marriage counselling for me and the EOS - or should I just go ahead with a divorce, and take up with the X-T4 ?.

The X-T4 is smaller, lighter, has great lenses at semi-sensible pricing compared to Canon. It has dials to set ISO, shutter speed and exposure compensation - and I just love the look and feel.

I feel like a dirty old man cheating on the wife with a younger woman - lol.

What do you think ? - should I make a go of it with the EOS - or make a fresh start with the Fuji ?.

There is a list of most of the cameras here, have a read through and confuse yourself even more :D

I have an XT3 and most of the time I use the front and rear dials to adjust shutter speed and ISO.
Your R is full frame the XT3/4 APSC other than that its a tool. I would still have my D3400 if I didnt want some additional functions and improve some annoying functions

Until about 4 years ago I was Canon all the way, had a 7D Mk2 & a 6D. My Brother-in-law had an X-T1 along with various other cameras (mainly Canon). I loved it so much I bought one, with the 18-55 and the 35 f1.4. Like you, I grew up with film cameras, and I love the way the Fuji's have that "analogue" feel. I now have both an X-T2 & an X-T3 with a number of lenses. Right now I wouldn't change systems for anything on the market in a similar price range..

I would consider the Nikon Z range, but I just don't have that sort of money to spend these days, and if I did go bigger in size, I'd probably go with a Fuji G-FX anyway. I'm 59, have been using cameras since I was 15, I've had all sorts, but the X-T range make me want to go out and take pictures. I enjoy using the camera as much as I seeing the end product.

I get that. Those manual dials are a great lure to anyone that grew up with film. Myself included. I still think you should stop cheating and get back together with the R though. I have an XT3 myself, and the menus will be different, but I've found that I can programme the buttons to perform the functions I need. I'm sure you could do something like that with your Canon.

I have an EOS R and a fuji X100s. Although the Canon outclasses the fuji in many ways, I still enjoy using the X100s and the images it creates. People often underestimate the enjoyment from a classic style camera, if it helps you pick it up and use it more, its doing its thing. The gap between APS-C and FF is much closer than it was, and the lighter kit is a bonus too.

All said and done though, for an image I really care about capturing I'd use the Canon. Probably not much difference in it really, it's partly FOMO.

Sorry, probably not helping here...

If funds allow, get hold of a small Fuji XT3 system (just one or 2 lenses) 2nd hand and play with them for a while. If you like the feel and other handling aspects of the experience, sell the R, if you don't, you should be able to get back close to what you pay for the Fuji kit.

I have an EOS R and a fuji X100s. Although the Canon outclasses the fuji in many ways, I still enjoy using the X100s and the images it creates. People often underestimate the enjoyment from a classic style camera, if it helps you pick it up and use it more, its doing its thing. The gap between APS-C and FF is much closer than it was, and the lighter kit is a bonus too.

All said and done though, for an image I really care about capturing I'd use the Canon. Probably not much difference in it really, it's partly FOMO.

Sorry, probably not helping here...

I have an R5 and really like it very much. But.. and it's a big but - if I'm using a camera, I much prefer using the Panasonic G95/G9 for actual use as they're just more enjoyable..

It's weird isn't it!

I can’t comment re your choice between the Fuji and cannon, but I can emphasise in respect of a camera not feeling quite right anymore. I swapped from an olympus camera and lenses to Fuji earlier this year, but it never felt quite right, almost impossible to define why as the Fuji (I had an xt4) is an excellent system, I quite simply I did not enjoy using the camera. I have now reversed my earlier swap and traded in my Fuji gear and gone back to Olympus, and it felt like ‘coming home’! Sounds mad, doesn’t it, but I immediately felt so much happier with my camera gear (though I am now having to relearn the Olympus menu system!!). I’m not sure this helps your quandry at all, but I followed my heart rather than head and feel more at one with my photography again!

I hope you are able to come to a decision which you will feel ‘at home’ with.

Still see the XT-1 getting rave reviews even though 7 years old now.

Way better to get an x-t2 these days, The price gap is barely over £200 in most cases and the upgrade is worth it without question

Reactions: Nod
Focus on the Fuji system just isn’t good enough. i had XT-3 and until last week the X100v. The results are nice if you don’t need fast focus. Canon R5 is streets ahead for focusing.

Focus on the Fuji system just isn’t good enough. i had XT-3 and until last week the X100v. The results are nice if you don’t need fast focus. Canon R5 is streets ahead for focusing.

What lenses were you using. I find it varies a lot depending on the lens.

I was using an x-t3 with the XF 90mm with the latest firmware yesterday it the AF felt near instant

I moved from a 5D mkiii to an XT 4, 18 months later dumped all the Fuji gear and moved back to Canon. I love the look and feel of the Fuji but couldnt love it, couldnt put a finger on why (still can’t) expensive trial eh. If coucelling doesn’t work I heartily recommend renting your Fuji body of choice and a lens you normally use for a week and see how you get on.

.................................I guess if I were to try to explain why, all I could come up with is that it sometimes feels like I'm shooting a computer rather than a camera.
I remember saying as much to brother some years back, that modern digital cameras need to be thought of as computers with a lens attached!

...feels like I'm shooting a computer rather than a camera.

Now I should say that I'm 62 years young, and have grown up with film cameras with dials for shutter speed, and lenses that had aperture rings - which the EOS doesn't have -but the X-T4 does.

I don't see modern cameras as computers perhaps because I don't use a lot of the features and don't spend time in the menus. I just use aperture or manual mode and usually with single spot focus and the cleverest I get is moving the focus point about and using face / eye recognition for people pictures.

On dials and aperture rings, you could stick with FF and go Sony A7 series as there's a good selection of lenses with aperture rings from multiple manufacturers. You could even go for one of those new Sigma lenses that look a bit like an old style film era prime. There are even some modern and excellent quality manual lenses you can mount direct to the camera without an adapter, like the Voigtlander e mount range.

There are even some modern and excellent quality manual lenses you can mount direct to the camera without an adapter, like the Voigtlander e mount range.
I used a Voightlander with my Sony A7iii and whilst it was an improvement there was still something lacking. I switched to Fuji (X-Pro3) and am much happier as it just gives me more of a “film” experience. (Just got hold of a AE-1 as well to have a play with)

I used a Voightlander with my Sony A7iii and whilst it was an improvement there was still something lacking. I switched to Fuji (X-Pro3) and am much happier as it just gives me more of a “film” experience. (Just got hold of a AE-1 as well to have a play with)

I spotted that the OP hasn't posted since last October so it looks like it's a waste of time giving him any more help or feedback.

I moved from a 5D mkiii to an XT 4, 18 months later dumped all the Fuji gear and moved back to Canon. I love the look and feel of the Fuji but couldnt love it, couldnt put a finger on why (still can’t) expensive trial eh. If coucelling doesn’t work I heartily recommend renting your Fuji body of choice and a lens you normally use for a week and see how you get on.
I was the same but only stuck with the Fiji XT4 for 3 months, went back to Canon 5D iv. Expensive trial.

I have used Canon (5D) before switching to Nikon (D3) and 'Finally' to Fuji (X-T3) - I have stayed with Fuji as I find that it works well for me and how my photography needs have 'evolved'
The Nikon D3 was a magnificent camera but very bulky. When you take into account the additional weight requirements of full frame lenses and sturdy tripods it all builds up for a Landscape Photographer.. The relative lightweight Fuji has proved a great compromise

I have used Fuji since the X-E1, then X-T1, then X-T2. I also wanted the manual feel of the dials and loved the aesthetic.

I also shoot film and have done pretty much exclusively since about 2018. I have a LOT of film cameras and going back to the shutter/aperture combination on dials was really nice and complimented any digital work with the X-T2. Then I picked up a Canon EOS-30 as an automatic film camera for fun, and found I really enjoyed it.

When I was looking to update my digital camera from an X-T2 I really wanted something I could "use" easily. After a few helpful posts on here, I ended up with an R6.

It's been really interesting moving from the Fuji way of digital shooting back to Canon. My most common way of taking pictures is either Av or Tv with exposure compensation to tweak. Auto ISO is almost like "not having to think" about ISO. This often means I only need two controls - Aperture/Shutter speed depending on which mode I'm in, and exposure compensation. On the Canon, both of these are accessible via the dial under my forefinger, and the dial under my thumb. I never need to look away from the viewfinder.

On Fuji, it's possible to do this, but then that defeats the purpose of the aesthetic of the camera. I have several film cameras that have traditional aperture/shutter controls (obv not ISO) and always, Av is easy to do as the lens aperture control is easy to get hold of, but shutter priority is a pain in the backside when the dial is on the top of the camera.

To continue the dirty old man analogy, once you get past the flashy aesthetic and recover from the expense, you find something that's no better than what you already have, and is slightly more awkward to use. After a year, you may decide that the old girl was good enough, worked better, and although significantly older, wasn't worth what you thought was an upgrade.

In reality, if looks are a major factor, and you like the look of the new shiny thing, then that will trump reason.

I've not tried the R. It was my main consideration for upgrading from the X-T2, but heads here suggested the R6. Its AF is blistering compared to the X-T2. Super accurate, and very intuitive with the AI style AF. I love the bigger sensor and whilst the image quality is not such a huge upgrade from Fuji, low light performance is much better. Most importantly though, it's very easy to use (and customise). It took a while to set it up right, but I have full control of the camera with only a few buttons.

Pretty though? Nah - it's a soul-less Canon brick. But it sure gets the job done.

Not sure any of that helps. Just wanted to say that after using dedicated dials on cameras for a few years now, going back to a properly set up R6 has removed so many (admittedly small but irritating) barriers to my photography.

Good luck with your decision!

Back