Epsom Scanner Compatability

Name
Ernie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
I recently upgraded my computer to a Windows 8 64 bit system and wish to scan some slides using my Epsom Perfection 3200 Photo. Unfortunately, Epsom don't have a driver for this combination and I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions, other than replacing the scanner! Although as its nearly 10 years old that might be the sensible thing to do.

Any help would be appreciated,

Ernie

Windows 7 and 8 have scanner drivers built in. Does it recognise the device?

No it didn't, but I will have a look and see if I can find one. Thanks.

Download a trial version of Vuescan to see if you can get the scanner going. Vuescan works with many scanners that are no longer supported by the original manufacturer.

Thanks for that suggestion; will try it in the morning.

Ernie

Download a trial version of Vuescan to see if you can get the scanner going. Vuescan works with many scanners that are no longer supported by the original manufacturer.
As you suggested, Vuescan does work, but to me is not so intuitive as Epsom's own software, but maybe OK with practice. In addition, the trial version inserts an unremoveable water mark which means having to buy the software, so it might be worthwhile looking at alternatives.

Many thanks, anyway,

Ernie

As you suggested, Vuescan does work, but to me is not so intuitive as Epsom's own software, but maybe OK with practice. In addition, the trial version inserts an unremoveable water mark which means having to buy the software, so it might be worthwhile looking at alternatives.

Nice thing about Vuescan though is that it works with many different scanners and computers. If you were to ever upgrade your scanner, computer, etc. at any point, you could still continue to use Vuescan. I have a couple of different scanners from various manufacturers and I only need to use this one piece of software to operate them all. Also, for some scanners, it is the only software that will work as the original software no longer runs on newer operating systems.

I've used Vuescan extensively for scanning 135 and 120 format colour negatives and slides and it works great. Yes, it costs money, but you shouldn't need to spend another penny on scanner software after that.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.....not unwilling to spend, but good to hear that others have had some success with it and that might be the way to go; cheaper than buying a new scanner for a few old slides!

Aw ra best, Mate,

Ernie

Back