Epson 2580 and 3490 scanners

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I really want a V750 but to be honest I have so many things on the wanted list that I just can't afford it till maybe the middle of next year. I have seen a number of Epson 2580 and 3490 scanners which will do negs for me at under £50 and was thinking of getting one now to use until I can afford something better.

So has anyone actually used either of these scanners? Are they ANY good. Only really looking for B&W

Hi Darren,
I have just bought of e-bay a Epsom 2580 after using a HP 4400C and a 5400C, the 2580 is more compact,good thing and the neg scanner is built in top loading. I have used it a few times already and I am very pleased with the results, the software is easy to manage and there are various level of selection from fully auto to pro level customisation.
I must say it had trouble reading some HP5 negs and at present I can only scan inverted and have to change in CS5 a problem still to solve.
Overall I am very pleased as it cost me £15.55p, I had to collect so £8.00 in petrol, but a bargain.
If you want some examples PM me your e-mail Addy and I will send you some neg scans both B&W and colour and a photo B&W scan.
Regards,
Richard

Hi Darren,
I have just bought of e-bay a Epsom 2580 after using a HP 4400C and a 5400C, the 2580 is more compact,good thing and the neg scanner is built in top loading. I have used it a few times already and I am very pleased with the results, the software is easy to manage and there are various level of selection from fully auto to pro level customisation.
I must say it had trouble reading some HP5 negs and at present I can only scan inverted and have to change in CS5 a problem still to solve.
Overall I am very pleased as it cost me £15.55p, I had to collect so £8.00 in petrol, but a bargain.
If you want some examples PM me your e-mail Addy and I will send you some neg scans both B&W and colour and a photo B&W scan.
Regards,
Richard

I think I found your purchase :)

Thanks, that is about what I wanted to pay as a stop gap. I should have plenty of money for more equipment in the new financial year but for now.....

That's maybe 80 miles away :LOL:

It might as well be 8000 miles. I haven't got the strength to get to the end of the path at the moment :(

... and it's nearly two inches on mine... you sure you got a new one?

To be honest I am looking now at a HP C8180.....

6 separate ink cartridges (£10 for a set of refillable ones)
Built in DVD writer
Built in flat bed scanner
Scan negs up to 6cm x 6cm
Wifi
Wired Networking
Duplex
Memory card readers

-

So you can use it as a colour / b&w photocopier
Use it as a neg scanner 35mm & MF
Use it as a normal scanner
Scan to DVD
Copy a memory card to DVD
Scan to memory card
Scan to any computer on the network without installing software (via web interface)
DIRT CHEAP to refill the cartridges
Print both sides

etc etc etc

£125 for a lightly used one, I already have a C6180 which is its little brother so it is ideal as a day to day normal printer. I don't need hyper quality as I have the Epson R2400 for that.

To be honest I am looking now at a HP C8180.....

6 separate ink cartridges (£10 for a set of refillable ones)
Built in DVD writer
Built in flat bed scanner
Scan negs up to 6cm x 6cm
Wifi
Wired Networking
Duplex
Memory card readers

-

So you can use it as a colour / b&w photocopier
Use it as a neg scanner 35mm & MF
Use it as a normal scanner
Scan to DVD
Copy a memory card to DVD
Scan to memory card
Scan to any computer on the network without installing software (via web interface)
DIRT CHEAP to refill the cartridges
Print both sides

etc etc etc

£125 for a lightly used one, I already have a C6180 which is its little brother so it is ideal as a day to day normal printer. I don't need hyper quality as I have the Epson R2400 for that.

If you are spending that much, why not look for a s/h v500 or 4490? As you say, you already have an R2400, the results i've seen from the c6180 don't look that great...

If you are spending that much, why not look for a s/h v500 or 4490? As you say, you already have an R2400, the results i've seen from the c6180 don't look that great...

I was going to buy another HP C6180 for downstairs (I have 3 kids at uni/college plus a business) and this was going to cost about £120 anyway so getting this for £125 is ideal and it does the MF and the media card to DVD copying, photocopying etc etc I WILL get a V750 next year or even a Nikon scanner....

Nah that seems like good logic. :)

I just love the C6180/8180 printers, as general purpose printers they are brilliant. The print quality is acceptable plus they sit on the network without needing a computer (and the 8180 is wifi) so they can be used by the whole family. To scan you just place an item on the glass and then fire up your web browser so they are platform independent. They duplex print (ie both sides of the paper). They work as a colour/b&W photocopier. You can buy a set of refillable ink cartridges for £10 and 6 bottle of ink for another £10. This is enough to replace 6 SETS of cartridges and you can refill a set of cartridges using syringes in under 5 minutes! They have a colour LCD so you can put a memory card into the printer and select a picture to print. You can scan to memory card. With the 8180 you can scan to DVD and copy memory card to DVD to OR read images off a DVD and print them. You can even print onto a DVD surface using the laser.

Basically I couldn't ask more of a cheap GP printer! So I think that that is the way I am going. I might buy another one for the studio too eventually....

Last edited:
Back