EPSON V500 SCANNING HELP!

Name
Ollie
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I've just had a bulk load of medium format and 35mm developed from some travels. The negs look really nice and the colours are spot on with the Ektachrome in which i shot, yet when i've gone to go scan, the results look really over exposed and blown out. The highlights look far too bright and skin colours just dont look right.

Has this happened with anyone else before?

Thanks to anyone for their help

Merry christmas!

Just a wild stab in the dark... is the backlight correction adjustment ticked? Thats the effect it gives me, though I'm using a v330

I'm using it via the Epson Scan that comes up with a display when plugged into my mac. Im guessing that is the auto software option, am i right? is there other software to use?
It feels like the quality of scanning is degrading every time i use it... sucks!

Thanks for the help tho and merry christmas! :)

There is an advanced mode, pro I think, that let's move the sliders around to set the scanners exposure (for want of a better term) you can either get it looking about right here or you can drag the sliders to the extreme edges of the histogram. This will give a pretty flat image but if scanned as a tiff will retain more information to let you get a better image in your editor of choice.

Unfortunately my V500 isn't with me at the moment otherwise I'd do some screenshots, I've found that if it's left to it's own devices to scan neg film it quite dramatically pushes the contrast so the shadows are blocked out and highlights are very blown but it's really easy to correct. Start the software and run it in professional mode, once you've done your preview scan click on the image you want to adjust and go to the Adjustments section of the main window where you'll see 4 little icons, if you click on the second one from the left a histogram window will pop up.

Under the graph you'll see three little triangles, left, centre and right. You'll probably find these triangles are pushed well into the graph, if you drag the outside two triangles out to where the graph starts you should see the image loses contrast and you see detail again in bright things like cloud, shadows should also start looking cleaner. You'll probably find the image won't look exactly as you want it straight out of the scanner but the idea is that if you scan without losing information (which you do when you block out shadows and clip highlights) then a small amount of post-processing will get it looking as you want it to.

I wish I could do some screenshots right now as it's quite difficult to explain in words alone! These adjustments sound complex and daunting but they're actually extremely simple and are a key part of getting good, well balanced scans. Give it a try and see how you get on, feel free to give me a shout or post again here if you're still having difficulty with it. :)

Last edited:
Hello guys,

Real sorry i didnt thank you for your help! but yea thanks a bunch definitely helped.

Back