Epson v5000

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I'm thinking of buying a v5000 to scan 35mm and 120 negs slides and prints. Would this scanner give good results?

If you mean the V500, then yes, it's one of the better flatbeds around at £200 (y)

Dedicated scanners are better, but you can't scan prints with them.
If its all about film scanning = dedicated, if you need to do everything, a V500 will produce good results.

Oops sorry finger slipped, yes V500 is the scanner I meant.
Am I right in understanding that a dedicated film scanner costs mega bucks?

35mm are affordable 2nd hand, if you need to do 120 it gets a lot more expensive.

I have a V500 and it's as good as the Neg scanners I've used in the past. It does up to 2 1/4 square negs too so I've been able to scan some really old negs of my Dad in the 1920's which please Mum no end.

Well worth the money :D

Forgot to mention I also use a lubitel so will the V500 scan 6x6?

Sorry Chris I was typeing my last question as your previous post came through thanks for the replies I reckon I'm gonna get one of these, seen them new on the bay for £166 which seems reasonable to me.

Mines working on Windows 7 home premium 64bit.

Just plugged it in and it said I'm off to Seiko Epson for a driver, is it okay.

Clicked on yes and it appeared on my devices page. Even setting up the Epson scan software at the same time :D

Right-O. The Epson website didn't list W7 as a supported OS and I've had no end of trouble making the old HP scanner talk to Vista, to the extent I've given up on it and am shopping for a new one. I'll email the Epson gonks tomorrow to check for warranty exclusions and may invest in a 500 if it's a goer. Ta.

Lost me there mate, what warrenty exclusions are you expecting ?
I just want confirmation the 500 will work with W7 from Epson before I spend any money. When HP bought out it's retrospective system for Vista I could never get it to work, patches and all, and in the end HP just shrugged and said sorry mate can't help you.

v500.jpg

No reason to decieve you mate, it's called an inbox driver. That means it comes as part of Windows 7 but does need to connect to the net to install it.

It also installs Epsons scanware at the same time. The drivers won't show up on Epsons site as it's an inbox or included driver.

Driver package is here on Epsons site :D

http://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Scanne...d=325519&defaultOSId=22&DRV_CATEGORY_CODE=DRV

Last edited:
I also have a V500 working perfectly well on Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit, its a real nice scanner which I use mainly for 35mm.

I apologise if I came across as doubting anyone's bona fides, that wasn't my intention. When I looked on the latest Epson site among a comprehensive list of operating systems Windows 7 was notable by its absence. I now understand it's an in-box job. If people say it works that's good enough for me. My experience with the HP scanner is that it was developed for much older systems and Vista seemed to stretch it to breaking point. Then again, I could have had a knackered computer. I shall clear its purchase with the missus and if I get a green light, will go for it.

Last edited:
Whilst I use Mac OS X as my primary OS, I feel a pang of sympathy regarding older HP scanners and their dreadful driver software....

This 'ere Epson V500 doodad is like a breath of fresh air, and the driver's been written from the point of view of someone who actually wants to do some scanning.

-Rob

ps As a by the by, I just booted into w7 and the driver and software does indeed 'self-install' - one of the nice things about w7 actually.

The trick, as you well know, is to beg forgiveness than seek permission :D:D
For reasons too complex to elaborate (i.e. I've forgotten), my wife and I have a joint ebay account, which unfortunately means every bid and purchase is sent hot foot to her iPhone. As I've been a bit busy lately on the virtual auction front there's a backlog of forgiveness-permission equations of an insoluable nature.

I can see a holiday somewhere hot rearing its ugly head as things stand, with all the unspeakable capers that go with it. Timing is everything on these things as I'm sure the married gentlemen will know. Meantime, I must start a separate account on the bay.

For reasons too complex to elaborate (i.e. I've forgotten), my wife and I have a joint ebay account, .

A joint bank account is perfectly understandable, but the mistake of joint ebay account is utterly unforgiveable. This situation calls for swift remedial action, and a holiday somewhere hot is not where the said remedy lies. :LOL:

May god grant you the wisdom to know what to do, and the strength to do it. :D:D

Went for a V500 in the end and it installed perfectly, or as perfectly as one can assume without having actually scanned anything yet. Still ploughing through the instructions but it seems comprehensively equipped.
The medium format facility (looks like 6 x 9cm too) will mean I can scan old negs and trannies and reawaken my desire for a Mamiya Press.

Well thanks for the comments and advice everyone. I took the plunge and a shiny new V500 has arrived and was waiting for me when I just got in from work, so will probably spend the weekend playing with it. Thanks again.

I am after a scanner too. Was looking at the V750 I think it is. What is the difference in quality between the V500 and V750? At £200 it is not so bad at all.

I use the Epson V500. It's a very good scanner. It does 35mm, 35mm Xpan, mounted slides, and 120. I reckon looking at the holder it would probably do 6x9?

I've found that the sweet spot for scanning is 2400dpi using 'unsharp mask' and no ICE. Works great for me.

For my scanning, the only benefit I'd get from the V750 is that the holder can take more frames. The V500 neg holder only has room for two strips of 35mm or one of 120.

The V750 is [was?] the top end Epson flat bed. The main difference which set it apart from the V700 is the wet mount - floating your negs on a fluid to get the best interface between neg and glass. By all accounts it's a slow messy process. Apart from that, the V700 gives the same results.

The V500 is the next one down. Real world observations indicate very little practical difference to the V700. Just the usual lab test results which you'd find hard to judge for yourself with real eyeballs.

Can one of you gents link me to a full size negative scan from a V500, possibly two? One colour and one black and white, sorry to be a pain but I'd like to see the results before I buy one.

I have just got a V500 on Windows 7 34bit very pleased with the results, click the photos takes you to the original size file on Flickr, here is a 35mm negative [taken in 1964 by my Dad]
scanned on auto

Second is a scanned 35mm colour negative taken last year by me Canon AE-1 prog, 24mm FD lens
scanned at 1200dpi

Last edited:
They actually look really really good. Is it simple to use, do you like it? Loads of questions :) How long does it take?

I'm still getting used to it but so far really easy, you can save different scan settings to save time you want to use the same setting.
Obviously the higher quality you use the longer the scan, those I just put up took 2-3min per negative, the 35mm neg holder holds approx 12 in two sets of six and the large formatt holds two negs, the slide holder holds 4.
I was very impressed by the colour restore feature I'll rescan a few and show them.

Brilliant, that's much appreciated :)
I think it's looking like I'll have to buy one!

OK first is a 1200dpi scan of a faded early 1960 35mm positive slide film [my Dad on holiday somewhere]
sorry about the dirt but they have travelled a hell of a lot over the last 50 years, most are older than me.

Second is the same slide but using the built in colour restoration feature that salvages a lot in my opinion.

That's pretty impressive. I assume it's fine with 'proper' black and white (ie not the C41 process type)

In fact that's more than pretty impressive.
I'm sold, I'll be trying to sort one out tomorrow.

That's pretty impressive. I assume it's fine with 'proper' black and white (ie not the C41 process type)

In fact that's more than pretty impressive.
I'm sold, I'll be trying to sort one out tomorrow.

Not sure what you mean by that but the B&W scan has three settings
plain black & white which is just for documents.
8 bit grey scale and 16 bit grey scale which has proved pretty good so far on negs, slides and prints.(y)

I've had some difficulty getting Asda and Tesco to scan home processed Black and White film is all Steve. They seem ok with the colour process stuff ie Ilford XP2 etc though but you've already posted an old school one so it'll be fine I'm sure.

That is actually very impressive. Looks like another thing to put on the save up for list.

Andy

I have the v500 and love it, its perfect for 120 but 35mm scans are not as good as using a dedicated 35mm scanner. I just wish it could scan 4x5 in one go as I have to stitch two scans together.

Back