Epson v5000

The V500 is a terrific bit of kit for the price. Here's a straight scan of a glass plate positive - dated 1888.

(Also posted in another thread).

Bl**dy ell thats as cheap as chips, I paid £199 for mine about 6 months ago.

I can almost guarentee you won't regret buying one. One of my good friends was very chuffed when I scanned 200 of her slides in a couple of nights. They where slides she took as a youngster and she's 60 at xmas.

Many happy memories for her to sit and muse over. :D

By the way did anyone notice you get Photoshop elements free with it as well (y)

Last edited:
steve - thats great !

what film was it in the second and who dev'd it ? + was it OOD ?

If you mean the shots I put up?
The B&W of me as a kid was ilford FP3 panchromatic film [probably ISO 400]
The positive slide shots were Kodak Echtachrome film no other info and they were all developed by my Dad at his home setup dark room;

The Ford Anglia shot taken by me was on Kodak GB 200-7 ISO 200
developed at Boots Chemists, scanned from the neg by me.

I have been going through the better shots and scanning them at higher res today a few at 6400 dpi will put them up when done.

As for Cowasaki I'm gutted now :bonk::bang: if only I had waited a fortnight.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of my first developed films that I did a few weeks ago. I have not been well enough to do the paper printing so this will be my first view. Hopefully later in the week I can get some paper prints done and the scans should help decide on which to print.

If you mean the shots I put up?
The B&W of me as a kid was ilford FP3 panchromatic film [probably ISO 400]
The positive slide shots were Kodak Echtachrome film no other info and they were all developed by my Dad at his home setup dark room;

The Ford Anglia shot taken by me was on Kodak GB 200-7 ISO 200
developed at Boots Chemists, scanned from the neg by me.

I have been going through the better shots and scanning them at higher res today a few at 6400 dpi will put them up when done.

As for Cowasaki I'm gutted now :bonk::bang: if only I had waited a fortnight.

thanks for info !

looking good though. I can only wish I raise the monies before it's gone.

the v600 deal look sweet as well !! but I don't know if it's worth the extra 100 quid.

The Results are pretty good for a flatbed much better with medium format than 35mm.
I have some A3 size images on my wall from 6x6 scans they look great.
I scan at around 1200 ppi and get quite manageable good quality files-I have a Minilta Dimage I picked up for a song for 35mm I do feel the Minolta is less noisy.
But yes for the money it gives nice results.
Mark
114147353.jpg

112351859.jpg

I'm made up and I've not received it yet :) Couldn't really afford it but what the hell!
It'll be really good to scan some of my negs for web use at least and it'll also be a useful tool to see what's worth actually printing dark room wise.
I may actually prise my Dad's slides out of his loft too :)

OK 35mm colour negative Kodak ISO 200 film with Canon AE-1 programme and 50mm lens scanned at 6400dpi with Epson V500 the first is straight off the camera/scanner. creating a 5.1mb file

Second is after I have tweaked it a bit and removed the dust in photoshop.

They look great, I'll have a better look at them on a better screen tomorrow but they're excellent even on this laptop.

Nice results by the looks of things! If Park have any left, I'll ring/order tomorrow before bed, I've not got any cards on me at work. I'm just off to ebay to delete everything in my 'watching' list, avoid double temptation ;-)

The V500 is superceded by the V600 now so the price should come down.

Even further? Might hang on until mid-December. I'm not desperate, unless I go to mother's and discover I've not lost all my negs from the 80's, complete with mullet hair :)

Well my V500 arrived today and I have just started scanning the first film that I ever developed :)

These are two images straight from the scanner and reduced from 6200+ to 800 pixels across...

img019sm.jpg

img020sm.jpg

From Ilford B&W Delta 100

Told you they where good. I love mine.

I did a scanning course at Epson 18 months ago that included a few different models. I have to say that the V500 wasn't included. If I remember rightly there was a v300 and a V750.

The 750 was outstanding but the only thing that it di that the V500 doesn't is wet slide scanning. That was a way of wet mounting or effectively using liquid to hold a negative to a scaning glass to scan. In my opinion for all but specialsts not worth the extra.

I've scanned a couple of hundred slides now for friends, and I'm about to embark on scaning some old roll film negs of my Dad god rest his soul, that must have been taken in about 1930 on celluloid film. The film is now starting to degrade badly so although not madly urgent it does need doing soon.

At £129 I wouldn't wait for a new model I'd snap one up now :D

At £129 I wouldn't wait for a new model I'd snap one up now :D

Have to agree with this - grab it while it's there.

V500 prices have gone down then up again. Mine cost £139 inc delivery in Nov 2008, the cheapest now (apart from Park's £129) seems to be Amazon & Play.com at £165-£169. A new model will probably start at a lot more than £129.

Last edited:
Aye, it's a bit of a no brainer really! I'll do it now.

They are great scans.

Finally bought my V500, picked it up today. Off to install it shortly.
Got a Mamiya 645 Pro and two lenses arriving tomorrow! It's like Christmas! (y)

anyone know where I can buy one apart from ebay?

how much are these selling for(brand new and used)?

Park Cameras £130 with free delivery - if you mean the scanner.

Bit more if you mean the mamiya and lenses ;)

back to 159.99 - screw this ! :|

may jump on the next train.
I made a silly move and bought a dslr instead of this scanner. although I don't know if it's that silly though.

Back