Epson V700 or Vuescan problem

Peter B

Double Numpty
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I rarely use the V700, but I used it yesterday and it worked just fine. Today it scanned to the Preview stage and shoed the 4 strips of 35mm film in the holder, but the scanner light then flashed red and it wouldn't scan. Google got me a couple of suggestions including a this youtube one that said:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLkVBWve16g
I've done what was suggested, but still get the same red light, so any help would be gratefully received. I'm taking it that it can't be the lamp when it scans to the Preview stage?

Wilbert Vandenberg
1 year ago (edited)
Hi, This probably means that the scanner light isn't moving. Follow these steps to check all the possibilities for the problem : 1) Check if the lock switch on the back of the scanner is unlocked 2) Is the scanner perfectly horizontal? 3) Have you used all the original cables? Disconnect and reconnect them. 4) Switch the scanner on. 4) If the problem persists, switch the scanner off, and physically remove the scanner lid. 5) Start the scanner again. The green light should now burn 6) Switch the scanner off, reinstall and reconnect the lid. 7) Switch the scanner on. Everything should work now. Let me know if this solves your problem.

John Verna
6 months ago
Wilbert, followed your steps and my scanner (V700) is once again up and running. Thank you!

debi19651
3 weeks ago
Thanks a million I almost went and bought another one of these bad boys :)

h'mm Peter I think we know more about cameras and would think not many here have the V700\750 ( I have one)...maybe a scanning forum like this http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=0f372985df7b0965726dc1490860c2e3 would help..although now it doesn't seem to be used much. But you never know someone here might have had the same problem.
Thanks Brian. It's scary how old the posts on that website are, since it hardly seems like any time since the V700 was the bees knees. :rolleyes:

Thanks Brian. It's scary how old the posts on that website are, since it hardly seems like any time since the V700 was the bees knees. :rolleyes:

maybe if you contacted Epson Uk you might be lucky to get a reply from an engineer who might help with a quick fix....and not a pen pusher who would tell you to bring it in for an expensive service.

maybe if you contacted Epson Uk you might be lucky to get a reply from an engineer who might help with a quick fix....and not a pen pusher who would tell you to bring it in for an expensive service.

I'm guessing they'll all be away home for the weekend now, so I'll maybe try next week. Of course, I might just be lucky and it'll work tomorrow when I switch it on, but probably not.

Tried scanning again today and once more it happily did the Preview, and then I could do full scans of a couple of frames. So far, so good, but then after I previewd the next 2 strips of negs it went to red light, although I managed to save the preview scan.

2017-11-28-0005-tp.jpg

The lamp is obviously working and the scanning head is moving the full length, so there doesn't seem to be that much wrong with it. This has only happened since the upgrade to Vuescan 5.92 on Friday, so I'm now wondering if Vuescan might have an issue which is causing this? I've changed the thread title in order to attract Vuescan users, since anything is worth trying at this stage. :(

That would be one way of checking if it's the software rather than the hardware; but as a long term solution I wouldn't use EpsonScan instead of VueScan.

Hi Brian

I've used Vuescan for many years now and with at least 4 or maybe 5 scanners, and it has always given better results that the maker's own software and always works with every version of Windows. I should certainly have the Epson software on a disc or could possibly download it from their site, but I'm hoping I might get some luck here first!

Interesting Tony. There's a Youtube video on cleaning dust on the V700, so I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware, the scanner uses the white marks on the film holders to tell what's going on.
I had the V850 pro and it was miserable if the white bits got dirty.

You do not need Epson's or anyone else software to test the system.
Windows and Mac have a built in standard prog for that.
Blowed if I can remember the name though.

Hi Brian

I've used Vuescan for many years now and with at least 4 or maybe 5 scanners, and it has always given better results that the maker's own software and always works with every version of Windows. I should certainly have the Epson software on a disc or could possibly download it from their site, but I'm hoping I might get some luck here first!

You are on Vuescan 5.92 and way behind pro 9.22....and have no idea what the difference is and also have silverfast, but find Epson so easy to use and just too lazy to learn something else.:rolleyes:

You are on Vuescan 5.92 and way behind pro 9.22....and have no idea what the difference is and also have silverfast, but find Epson so easy to use and just too lazy to learn something else.:rolleyes:

Not a case of being too lazy Brian, surely more a case of not "fixing" something if it ain't broken? Version I'm on is 9.5.92, not 5.92 as I said earlier. Found the cleaning video, so that's a job for tomorrow as I'm off out shortly.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wJjDd7q2rA

Last edited:
Well I'm on a version of win 10 that is way past Joe Public win 10, and win 10 couldn't find my scanner :rolleyes:

As I said, I think it's called TWAIN.
I don't know what that means though.

Well my point was:- whizz bang win 10 has add "printers and scanners" and if my scanner was connected to the computer's USB port, then win 10 should have recognised it and at least said "do you have a disc" OR installed a TWAIN driver if necessary (n)
Guess MS are not interested in filmies and scanners :eek:

Sorry to hear that.

HUH!...Even though Win 10 doesn't recognise my scanners, I don't need win 10 as on the Epson site you can download everything to install their scanners if you don't have the CDs,

I know this!! It's an acronym for "Toolkit Without An Interesting Name" (y) Will hopefully get round to all of this later, but it's the best weather we've had for a couple of weeks so I'll be heading out shortly.

Well my point was:- whizz bang win 10 has add "printers and scanners" and if my scanner was connected to the computer's USB port, then win 10 should have recognised it and at least said "do you have a disc" OR installed a TWAIN driver if necessary (n)
Guess MS are not interested in filmies and scanners :eek:
I think MS just don't care.
I switched to Mac. I go so fed up with constant updates and virus warning.
Good luck though which ever way it goes.

I did the dust removal thing and now have a sparkling clean scanner, albeit one that would only scan to the Preview stage before the red flashing light came on. Today I experimented with jacking up the Preview resolution to the same as the scanning one, and that worked fine as far as it went. Bizarrely, after this there was no red light and I was the able to scan individual negs without any issues. Anybody's guess what will happen next time I use it, but it has filled a bit of time on a couple of dodgy weather days. ;)

A couple of shots from Wednesday trying out the unholy alliance of a Yashicamat 124G with problems, a roll of Acros dated 2008 and not properly stored, plus some awkward lighting conditions.

2017-12-01-0007-copy-tp.jpg 2017-12-01-0009-copy-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Brian

Did you try this? Really not scrapping viewscan but try epson software to check if viewscan update is the problem seems like the first first thing to do.
Otherwise try rolling back to the previous viewscan version and see if this help!

Did you try this? Really not scrapping viewscan but try epson software to check if viewscan update is the problem seems like the first first thing to do.
Otherwise try rolling back to the previous viewscan version and see if this help!

I'm going to have another try tomorrow afternoon to see what I can get to happen, but being able to Preview at full resolution means I can effectively get a big contact sheet file which I can then crop in PS (using duplicates) to individual frames.

Well I'm on a version of win 10 that is way past Joe Public win 10, and win 10 couldn't find my scanner :rolleyes:
if i am reading this correctly your using a beta version/update of win10. could that be the issue, worth trying a release version as they are inherently more stable and compatible.

if i am reading this correctly your using a beta version/update of win10. could that be the issue, worth trying a release version as they are inherently more stable and compatible.

Yes I'm on the next version of win 10 which anyone can join and are called "insiders"...insiders are to check that there are no bugs before release to joe public, but my point was how can I check if win 10 doesn't recognise and install my scanner without setting up with Epson software :rolleyes:
Anyway using Epson software there isn't a problem using a scanner from say win 7 to win 10.......and interesting to know what type of scanners does win 10 install as if none why have a feature "add printers and scanners" :rolleyes:

yep i am well aware what insiders is, it is beta with all the potential problems that has. my point was the full release win10 seems to pick up all scanners ive tried-admittidly thats only two older epson ones and add hardwere is still there in control panel

yep i am well aware what insiders is, it is beta with all the potential problems that has. my point was the full release win10 seems to pick up all scanners ive tried-admittidly thats only two older epson ones and add hardwere is still there in control panel

Well on my 2nd computer with ordinary win 10, it recognised my V750 but said "driver unavailable" WTF :banghead: so thought this whizz bang OS would be clever enough to install the driver on update, so clicked on update and and it's installing the latest update h'mm for AMD64 based system (but I only have intel so could be for the graphics card) ..on reboot, it says in message scanner installed, but in system still says "driver unavailable" :rolleyes: but where's the icon, and it's not in win 10 accessories (only fax and scan)..so IMO win 10 is useless for filmies but of course install Epson software and problem solved (even on beta).

The quickest and surest way to get an answer to scanning problems using ViewScan is to email the question to ViewScan. This is what I do and have done for several years.

The quickest and surest way to get an answer to scanning problems using ViewScan is to email the question to ViewScan. This is what I do and have done for several years.

It worked again this afternoon with both 120 neg and 35mm slide, so who knows? I'll certainly email Hamrick if the problem comes back, but I guess there is nothing worse than an intermittent fault. :rolleyes:

Back