Error On 400D

Edit My Images
Yes
When using my old Sigma 28-200 lens on the 400D i got an error message on the LCD.

It said ERR90 if memory serves me right. I asked another guy that was there at the time if he'd seen this before. He said that newer EOS cameras have problems with older lenses and the lenses need to be "re-chipped" so they can work.

This is a new one on me, has anyone esle had this issue in the past or heard of it? :shrug:

I've heard of Sigma lenses needing a re-chip - theres a thread on here somewhere which will help I'm sure. Rough gist of it is Sigma will carry out this work for you for around £30 and you get the privilege of paying postage

Cheers Jonny. I'm looking for a new lens anyway so i might get rid.

Yep JonnyReb has it spot on.
I've had to have my 105 macro re-chipped ... same problem

I think it's error 99 and yes it's the lens electronics that are incompatible with the 400d. oldgit might be able to give you a clue as to how much it would cost to get the lens rechipped (sigma used to do it f.o.c)

This is one the reasons why I stick to Canon lenses only :)

One of the factors that affected some Sigma lenses years ago was the voltage being sent between the camera and lens. Canon lenses were not exceeding a limit but Sigma lenses were. When Canon tightened up the tolerances on all new cameras suddenly a lot Sigma lenses failed to work.

Thanks for the response guys. I suppose the newer batch of Sigma lenses will have the same problems then.

There have been no issues with the newer Sigma's in my experience..... I believe its limited to the older non DG models

As Jonnyreb says there are no/will be no problems with any of the later sigma models. In fact it's only some of the very early models that have a problem at all.

Cool, thanks. It's just i've got my eye on a couple of new Sigma lenses on ebay.

I think it's error 99 and yes it's the lens electronics that are incompatible with the 400d. oldgit might be able to give you a clue as to how much it would cost to get the lens rechipped (sigma used to do it f.o.c)

Sorry cant remember ... it was a few years ago now.
I do recall tho that if you have the original reciept (ie you bought it new) then theyll fix it for chips. If not then its about £40 ??? Ermmm :thinking: :thinking: :shrug:

I had exactly this problem on my 30D when I first got it with my ancient sigma 100-300mm. Good thing really as it gave me the kick up the proverbial I needed to upgrade the lens to go with the upgraded camera! :D

Don't we all just love it when cameras become specifically shaped computers:bang: :bang:

Update,

Sigma have told me that my lens cannot be re-chipped due to spares being no longer available.

Off to ebay then....

That sucks and doesn't sound particularly reasonable either. No more Sigma purchases for me then!

Yeah. The guy said i should contact their service dept who may be able to help me with an alternative solution.

If they can't chip it then the only alternative is to buy a new lens surely.:shrug:

You may have spoken to an idle bugger that couldn't be bothered to help - was he at the service centre himself?

Back