Essex Locations

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
Morning all,

In need of a few pointers. Do you know of any locations in essex worth a visit. Inland, coastal, parks, lakes etc.

I like scenery and nature, but would have crack at city scapes, urban stuff etc

Perhaps a county by county location thread is worth starting....

Gracias

Gpc

Isn't Epping Forest in Essex?

:LOL::D Soft southern shandy drinkers...LOL

Thanks for the replies, will take alook at the website.

Much appreciated.....

Any more for any more?

Gpc

Depends what you want to take pictures of! Other than Epping forest there is South Weald Park where you could find some deer. Hainault Forest (lake with ducks, geese, swans, moorhens etc and animals in the farm bit). The underground bunker just outside Ongar, Ongar itself has some old buildings with wooden beams that could be interesting. North Weald Airdrome has a big market at weekends and you could also get some shots of aircraft while you are there. The windmill at Upminster, another at Aythorpe Roding - if you go out through the Rodings there is an interesting looking church and again some old houses at Great Easton and good scenery around there. At Magdalen Laver there is a decrepit church but its quite well hidden so not too easy if you don't know the area.

Thanks Susie,

I Live in the Brentwood area so these are all superb for me(y).

South weald is great, so is thorndon park. In general the essex countryside is beautiful in spring and summer (have seen wild deer roaming the feilds just outside brentwood) but in winter there doesnt seem to be much happening. trying to find some old churches, some lakes etc. swirling mist coming off a lake, a church with a moody sky etc....

Will be out and about this weekend!

Thanks again

Have fun, I hope the weather gives you the moody sky without raining on you!

Southend Pier, Hadleigh Castle, Old Leigh, Leigh Beach?

These are closer to me than you, but you might take a trip down one day and visit a couple of these places. I'm also looking for more local places to photograph around the Southend area actually so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Some nice spots along the blackwater and colne estuaries and colne backwaters for landscapes
That reminds me I must get down to Heybridge sometime.

Tilbury fort is another place, a lot of old military things to photograph it has some good buildings and walls as well if you like that sort of thing.

Tilbury fort

So far I have found Old Leigh (for boats, history, people, character), Hadleigh Castle (great views, history, wildlife, amazing sunset with no obstructions) & Two Tree Island (nature reserve, boats, wildlife, sunset, the sea. Also active fishermen)

All really close to each other too. Some nice spots.

A good mixture of brownfield / coastal shots can be found on Canvey Island, as well as some urban decay around some areas (though you won't want to be waving an slr about too much in some places). If you need anything more specific, drop me a line....

Hi Susie. I am very interested in finding the decrepit church at Magdalen Laver Essex. Any help to its location and/or its name would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Sam

Depends what you want to take pictures of! Other than Epping forest there is South Weald Park where you could find some deer. Hainault Forest (lake with ducks, geese, swans, moorhens etc and animals in the farm bit). The underground bunker just outside Ongar, Ongar itself has some old buildings with wooden beams that could be interesting. North Weald Airdrome has a big market at weekends and you could also get some shots of aircraft while you are there. The windmill at Upminster, another at Aythorpe Roding - if you go out through the Rodings there is an interesting looking church and again some old houses at Great Easton and good scenery around there. At Magdalen Laver there is a decrepit church but its quite well hidden so not too easy if you don't know the area.

Wrong location, but I was close!!

Its at Berners Roding, Its best to find it on an Ordnance Survey map. There is a footpath that goes past the church from a road about 100 yards away by some farm buildings. There is no road going to the church though!!

If you look on google maps or something it shouls show up, but its one of those places I can get to but don't know the road names!!

If you enjoy walking then seek out the Flitch way - it runs from Bishops Stortford to Braintree, via Dunmow. Its partly based along the line of disused railway so you have old station building as well as some lovely countryside.

This is the station at Rayne:

RayneStation8996hdr.jpg

Thanks everyone,

Some great ideas here.

Mods - Whats the chance of setting up a county by county locations forum/thread.

Would be great to gradually build up over time a whole list of location recommendations from those in the know , to each county in the UK. could throw up some nice surprises.

Thanks again all....will be checking these places on a map and hopefully paying them a visit in the coming weekends.

Gpc

Wrong location, but I was close!!

Its at Berners Roding, Its best to find it on an Ordnance Survey map. There is a footpath that goes past the church from a road about 100 yards away by some farm buildings. There is no road going to the church though!!

If you look on google maps or something it shouls show up, but its one of those places I can get to but don't know the road names!!

I used to live next to that before we moved 3 fields away to where we are now (we moved all our worldly goods on tractors and trailors... gave the neighbours a good look at our gear!!!.) :LOL:

They dont use it as a church but still have funerals there.
It's Berners Hall Farm... look on the left of the main farmhouse you will see the church, our cottage was on the right of the farmhouse.

There is some info on it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/barryslemmings/sets/72157594159779902/comments/

and Google Earth co-ordinates are: 51°45'57.69 N 0°19'12.64 E Hope that helps.

Also dont forget Greensted Church in Ongar... the oldest wooden church in the world (y)

After reading a few of these comments about the old derelict church I made it my mission to go and find it. When I eventually found it, it had started to get dark. I was completely alone and nobody was around. I walked up the small path beside the farm and was met by an old wooden gate. I felt like I was a part of Most Haunted! As soon as I plucked up the courage to enter I went to push open the gate in the graveyard and when immediately a bird the size of a pterodactyl flapped it's wings in the tree next to me... Needless to say I didn't hang around and went straight back to my car!!! I'm not easily scared but that was eary!!! I really want to go back though, I am new to living in Essex and would love to find new places to shoot.

Lee

Last edited:
Holy thread revival! :D

So have I got this right - you're new to Essex but you want somewhere to photograph where there are no scary birds? Could be tricky :naughty:

But seriously, where are you based and what sort of photography are you into?

I love Lakeside ;-) Sorry, that wasn't helpful was it :LOL:

Fingringhoe nature reserve Colchester, or Abberton reservoir and nature reserve. Colchester Castle, Arlesford derelict church, some of the best coastline in the UK, piers, a few priories, lots and lots more! :)

If you fancied travelling to Cockfosters there is a park around the corner from the station called Trent Park. Not quite in Essex but I was up there yesterday and it is a great photogenic place ! .. I wish I had my camera when I went !
http://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1...pl=4635l9375l0l24l23l1l16l17l0l266l1244l0.3.3

As I said, Cockfosters station is literally round the corner so it's pretty easy to get to.

Dedham is a lovely little village and Constable did his Heywain picture just down the river there.

Maldon estuary is great, lots of old sail boats/barges

Thorndon country park is a nice walk and Epping is still there :)

Leigh on Sea was mentioned briefly earlier.

I went past on the train the other day (at least I think it was Leigh). There were a lot of mud flats and boats - just wanted to know what it's like to shoot there - it looked quite good but as I was on the train it's a bit hard to tell.

Cheers, Phil

Blimey,
Never expected to see this thread again - As well as the mudflats *or cockle beds as the locals prefer to view them) there's a few cottages, some great pubs and a footpath that you can walk all the way into southen on along the river. There's an old minesweeper that's now the home of the sailing club too.

There's a nature reserve around the corner on 2 tree island as well, plenty of birds and such like.

Got these there last year - Really do need to visit again, if only for Whelks and a pint !

a quickr pickr post

Last edited:
I'm in Essex very close to epping I don't know if copped hall is still.open to.thw public but you'll get some.spooky shots there at night its meant to be extremely haunted though I dont believe in that kind of thing. It's got a derelict building with a big tree growing through the centre of it. Might even check it out myself thinking about it.

Last edited:
Oh also if you like flowers and pretty gardens van hagues I think its ware ish down the a10 I believe is beautiful especially at Xmas

Hey Paul

Im based in south Essex near Lakeside and looking at something a bit different to photograph. Ive heard there are a few beach huts to take a look at in the area. Im also a keen HDR'er so looking for something for locations that would be great for this.

Oh and you're right... there are lots of scary birds in Essex!
Lee
Holy thread revival! :D

So have I got this right - you're new to Essex but you want somewhere to photograph where there are no scary birds? Could be tricky :naughty:

But seriously, where are you based and what sort of photography are you into?

Hey Paul

Im based in south Essex near Lakeside and looking at something a bit different to photograph. Ive heard there are a few beach huts to take a look at in the area. Im also a keen HDR'er so looking for something for locations that would be great for this.

Oh and you're right... there are lots of scary birds in Essex!
Lee

If you're into wildlife photography there's no better place than festival leisure park in Basildon on a Saturday night. Life can get pretty wild there from time to time.:D

As said before Old Leigh is interesting, especially early in the morning at this time of year. (see avatar)

Last edited:
If you're into wildlife photography there's no better place than festival leisure park in Basildon on a Saturday night. Life can get pretty wild there from time to time.:D

As said before Old Leigh is interesting, especially early in the morning at this time of year. (see avatar)

Agree, if your willing to get up early then you can get some quite serine shots from Leigh shell front.

431837873_s2xmE-L-3.jpg

431838685_tct2S-L-3.jpg

431838182_oc3XT-L-3.jpg

431841945_SDCLF-L-3.jpg

Shot in jpeg straight out of the camera Sony a350 (before I plucked up the courage to use RAW lol)

.DAVID.

Oh and other wildlife locations - Weald Park nr Brentwood, *** tyler nr Pitsea, Hyde Hall gardens, Rainham Marshes is getting better all the time but don't go if it's windy ;)

Just a few ideas for you

.DAVID.

Thanks for the suggestions on this thread. Today I visited the All Saints church at Berners Roding and St. Andrews Church in Greensted. Both very interesting to photograph and highly recommend. Door to Berners was locked but had the place to myself for entire time I was there, and Greensted was quite busy both inside and out. A very good set of photos from Berners Roding on 28DL (not by me I hasten to add!):
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=61284

Ta,
Chris

Last edited:
I was recently on a driving course and drove down The Avenue, in Brentwood, CM13. Wow, what a road... I'd love to photograph it but it's a National Speed limit road, could be interesting... anyone here know of it?

Back