Ethernet cables?

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
Hopefully an easy question...

Is there any real difference in terms of performance between different "CAT" ratings of ethernet cable? We need a 15m run to connect a laptop to the router/modem and I'm not sure which to go for. On Amazon, they seem to range from about 9 quid for a CAT5e up to 26 for a CAT7, both with 4+ * ratings (85% 5*). Not got a hugely fast line anyway (20Mb/s is the fastest I've managed on it through WiFi).

FWIW
I would buy Cat6 grade, as AFAIK it is more robust in regard interference compared to Cat5e. Unless you need the 'bleeding edge' of Cat7 spec the extra cost seems unnecessary!

Just view and as always welcome better knowledge to come in :)

Reactions: Nod
Thanks for that, BB. It's pretty much a straight run up the stairs from where the lappy is to the router box and I can easily run it so it's nowhere that close to any mains cables etc.. TBH, I'm tempted to go for as high a spec (but not necessarily price!) as possible so it's future proof but it's also (hopefully) only needed as a short term solution so don't really want to throw too much at it, although the cost will be tax deductible!

Just ac
Thanks for that, BB. It's pretty much a straight run up the stairs from where the lappy is to the router box and I can easily run it so it's nowhere that close to any mains cables etc.. TBH, I'm tempted to go for as high a spec (but not necessarily price!) as possible so it's future proof but it's also (hopefully) only needed as a short term solution so don't really want to throw too much at it, although the cost will be tax deductible!
Just an extra thought in regards to depending on "your layout of what is connected and what you want to connect.....and where are the other connected devices....."

A while back I had a need to connect more than 4 devices to my router and it only has 4 ports. So I bought a 4 port unmanaged 'switch' i.e. just one cable from router to switch and other devices plugged into the switch. I no longer need this configuration but I have not changed it!

So, if that maybe gives you food for thought as to what may be a different way of doing things.......???

Last edited:
Yes Cat6 is higher spec and will support higher data speed - up to 10Gbps, but do you really need this speed and more importantly what is the max speed of the port on your router? Cat5e will support 1Gbps.

One further point to consider is that quality Cat6 cable will be stiffer and not suitable for sharp bends when routing round the house. I had some Cat6 cable that I planned to use to connect the router to the main phone socket (first floor to ground floor). But it was a non-starter. It was much too stiff.

Gone for THIS one. Should do the job and doesn't cost the Earth! Gave me an excuse to pad the order with a toy or 2 for me as well!!!

Forgot to mention the flat option. We’ve just had internet upgraded in the studio ready for more online stuff and we used the same and it’s nice and easy to install.

I might tape it to the top of the wall string of the staircase and just re-coil the ends between uses until it's no longer needed.

Depending on the wiring of the house and budget have you thought about using home plugs to get internet to the laptop?

I've really gone off powerline/home plugs. Whatever speed I use (up to 650Mb/s) I've never seen more than 150Mb/s. When we had our kitchen ceiling replaced a few years ago I used the opportunity to run a few CAT5 cables from the router in the hall to other parts of the house and now have 1Gb/s wherever I want it. I only made one mistake when terminating the cables but the tester soon found it.

Agree cable is the best option if you can run it hidden. Wish I had done that when I did up my house about 15 years ago.[emoji849]

Exactly why I had loads of 25mm conduit installed throughout my house when it was being built... By no means have I used all of it - but when I need to, I have a 95% shot of there being one close enough by to use for whatever cable/fibre I need to thread.

Cat 5 will do you all you need for 15m I've fitted 1000's metres in shops and buildings over the last 30+ years.

Most of the decent size shops like Newlook run miles of the stuff. The only real need for CAT6 is if your in a heavily wired area or you want to run power over ethernet.

Depending on the wiring of the house and budget have you thought about using home plugs to get internet to the laptop?
Agree cable is the best option if you can run it hidden. Wish I had done that when I did up my house about 15 years ago.[emoji849]

Did think about using plugs but they're all fairly well hidden behind all sorts of things (at both ends) so accessing the sockets would be more of a PITA than running the cable up the stair string.

Went for the CAT6 option partly as future proofing but also because I'm a believer in using less capacity of a higher spec than pushing low spec kit towards any limits (although I do realise that for this application, it's super overkill!)

Back