Eurofigher Typhoon in all its glory! *new pics added*

I love these shots. just a newbie question I take it you have all your af points selected and hope the camera picks up the focus correctly?

alastair,

Excellent shots! Look like the 7D (and you! ;) ) nailed them.

Am curious - what AF/Focus point settings did you use?

Cheers,

Matt

Super set of pictures. They ware great machines.

Dave

I am so jealous of you guys who get to go here.

Great shots - make my airshow shots look rubbish :puke:

being quite a few miles from there - is there any way of knowing when there will be flights on the loop - or is it pot luck. If I knew there would be some activity - i'd be more than happy to drive down.

Cheers Ziploc - do any TP members have a meet for these locations?

I'm guessing this could be a mix of landscapes and air shots on a meet.

The site you pointed out has some outstanding images - I am in awe

Ian

Put a post in the Meeting Place forum, of where and when you plan on going.

Cracking shots...

I have a question though.

In my younger days I was on holiday with parents in Snowdonia (think I was about 9) and remember going on a walk called the "precipice walk" near Doggleau (?sp).

At one point you could see right down a valley towards Trawsfynedd (?sp) power station and at the exact moment we were looking towards the power station (prob. >5miles away) you saw the wing lights of a Tornado (prob. GR1 given that it was 1992/1993) and about 10secs later it came right past doing a right hand turn through the valley.

Now...my question is, was this the Mach Loop?

I remember it was amazing...I was a huge aircraft fan back then (still am a little bit despite missing out on RAF pilot entry through having migraines from age 14 to 16) and it was the highlight of my holiday.

If that was the mach loop, then I'd love to go back up there and have a go with a bit of photography.

Shot in a public place, there is no law against it? :shrug:

Apparently there is a forum where pilots will request pictures... from what I hear :)

I know this is correct, but speaking as someone who works on a site where these things are put together, yes I see their first take-offs etc, no one is allowed to take pictures. Official government acts and all that, being a bit vague I know but I guess you know what I'm referring to :rules:

I just find it a little strange that everyone knows where to get good photo's and even the pilots 'seem' to cooperate, in a lot of other countries there would be issues but not here :D

Not complaining or anything, I may venture down myself one day, the irony hit's me that I'd have to travel a fair distance to take a photo of something that takes off 500yrds form our office with nothing but grass to block the view!

Forgot to say, great shots, the after burner ones look cool.

Last edited:
Nice shots fella ;)

lots of photographers on another forum have been contacted, through a middle man for images, unfortuantely it appears the american F15 pilots have screwed up once too often, in not sending a simple thanks by email, where as some of the brit pilots have sent squadron goodies and even one fella recieved a tour of a base!

The tornado on tuesday went straight on out to sea, but appeared to be looking at two fella on a hill hoping it turned sharp left infornt of them, next time round, sharp left turn, with a wave!!

any link to where they request them? we're up there end of next week (y)

drew

I know this is correct, but speaking as someone who works on a site where these things are put together, yes I see their first take-offs etc, no one is allowed to take pictures. Official government acts and all that, being a bit vague I know but I guess you know what I'm referring to :rules:

I just find it a little strange that everyone knows where to get good photo's and even the pilots 'seem' to cooperate, in a lot of other countries there would be issues but not here :D

Not complaining or anything, I may venture down myself one day, the irony hit's me that I'd have to travel a fair distance to take a photo of something that takes off 500yrds form our office with nothing but grass to block the view!

Forgot to say, great shots, the after burner ones look cool.

Well, the chances are that they won't have anything particularly exotic hanging off them if they plan to plan to fly around 'the Loop' as it's so well known. But taking off from near your office they might well end up going somewhere more exotic/where they are less likely to be noticed so a blanket ban is understandable.

Anyway, it's all a bit of a joke. Everyone knows that the Russians, Israelis and Chinese know the full spec of all UK military equipment before it's made it to Whitehall.

Stunning shots (y) love the afterburners on...

Anyway, it's all a bit of a joke. Everyone knows that the Russians, Israelis and Chinese know the full spec of all UK military equipment before it's made it to Whitehall.

Yeh, I know, there's loads of so called sensitive stuff that is not allowed to be discussed, then it appears in Flight magazine etc :rules: eh.

thanks for the comments all. im hoping to head back up there on a trip funded by our universitys photography society :) and yea ct on another look it does look like some of them could do with abit more of a sharpen after being resized
in the meantime i have a few more images. (these are both fairly hard crops)
7#

8#

I like the first set of images, Alastair, but not keen on the Tiffie heading for the ground shots...stick with what you see.

Best wishes,

Philip

alastair

great shots, nice of Flt. Lt. F B Buchler to give you such a great view of his stunning aircraft!!!

Its fair to say that Butch probably wasn't flying this jet at the time!

I dunno I get the impression that perhaps the pilots know the togs are there and sometimes tend to 'bandstand' a little?

I would imagine that it is dangerous and expensive to 'bandstand' with an piece of military kit, although an ignorance of the low flying rules on the part of the 'togs could make something that is quite mundane seem exciting!

Great shots. Is the Eurofighter a regular feature at Cad West? I'm thinking of heading there some time to test the 7D + 100-400 but would much prefer to see Eurofighters than only hawks ;-)

Wow! is it 1982? The Typhoon should be pretty rare at LL - it has no business there! Additionally , what's the matter with Hawks?;)

The Mach Loop offers a great place to teach and assess valley flying which is why it is used so heavily for LL training. It would be used regardless of the 'togs being there.

The email from the RCAF officer was from back in '09. Since then the relationship between 'togs and aircrew has soured somewhat, mostly to do with the 'I'm with stupid' incident. Some of the dedicated LL photography sites (such as Fox2.co.uk) moderate and censor any images that they (the site) believe could get the aircrew in trouble. This might include the use of augmentation at LL.

I'd not bank on that name being the pilot. Those are there for show, pilots fly whats not broken.
As for requests from aircrew, yes, I get them reasonably often on the back of flickr. But not being a mountain goat, and due to a 40 a day habit, I've never tried the loop or any of the other LFA's.

Out of intereset, can someone please explain how these are allowed? I would have thought they would have asked questions of someone snapping away?

All fantastic shots - well done (y)

Nothing contentious about these photographs. They are taken in a public place and there are 100s of similar images on the web. No breaches of Operational Security here. Now, if there was an internal close up of the cockpit, avionics or disclosure of sortie times that would be a different matter.

No doubt at some point 'Cheesy' will pay a visit and offer up some comments. He is the person to ask and also a stunning photographer in his own right.

Great set especially the ones with the after burners on and I quite like the B&W too.I'm planning on getting there myself soon - to Cad West and Bwich Exit. I assume the 100-400 would be better than the 400 prime as you mentioned zooming in (or rather not zooming in enough) ?

As stated above, there's no issue with Op Sec breaching here; there are thousands of images in the public domain (and lots from the places they're put together). In the last 12 months we've released pictures into the public domain of many parts of these aircraft, interiors included. There are 'sensitive' areas on the jets of course, but BAE wouldn't be very clever if you could see them while they were flying!

No doubt at some point 'Cheesy' will pay a visit and offer up some comments. He is the person to ask and also a stunning photographer in his own right.

Already posted, a couple before you buddy! The thrust of my post was to do with self-regulation in photo forums, hinting that Typhoons shouldn't be at LL and trying to debunk the theory that pilots show boat for the togs (ie. the low flying jets came before the togs on the hills!).

Additionally, you are to kind with your comments! You should see the hornets nest I've kicked over on another forum by having the cheek to try to protect my images!

All the best,

Cheesy

Great shots. Going to try & get down there myself this year.

Already posted, a couple before you buddy! The thrust of my post was to do with self-regulation in photo forums, hinting that Typhoons shouldn't be at LL and trying to debunk the theory that pilots show boat for the togs (ie. the low flying jets came before the togs on the hills!).

Additionally, you are to kind with your comments! You should see the hornets nest I've kicked over on another forum by having the cheek to try to protect my images!

All the best,

Cheesy

So you did - not sure how I missed that ! would love to catch up with your other thread could you post a linky or drop me a PM ?

Cheers shipmate (y)

The Eurofighter is one of my fave jets - and these pics are absolutely spot on!!!

Well impressed here mate!

awesome set of photos. I am lucky enough to live in Talyllyn pass right underneath these aircraft yet i still haven't been up cad east or west to see them like this YET. I count myself lucky to live right under the flight path, its like having your own air show to yours self on a regular basis.

I have noticed last year and so far this year traffic through the loop is really really quite compared to how it used to be maybe that's down to cutbacks. At one point a few years back you could guaranteed an 8am wake up by the first hawks and if the sun was out and the clouds were sparse then the loop would be busy. Nowadays regardless of weather we sometimes don't see any activity for weeks on end

Corris corners is also a great location at the bottom end of the valley so you can get Talyllyn lake in the back ground of the jets.

I also heard that these pilots are not allowed to use burner's in the loop and many have got in trouble as photos have appeared online from the many togs who sit on the hills waiting for the jets. If the pilots can be identified they could get in trouble. Some forums ask for photos of planes with burners on not to be uploaded for this reason.

Keep up the good work, i love looking at photos you guys take

Daz

PS i found this shot online on daily mails website Navigator's gag amuses plane-spotters as fighter jet races through Snowdonia valley

Last edited:
Cracking shots...

I have a question though.

In my younger days I was on holiday with parents in Snowdonia (think I was about 9) and remember going on a walk called the "precipice walk" near Doggleau (?sp).

At one point you could see right down a valley towards Trawsfynedd (?sp) power station and at the exact moment we were looking towards the power station (prob. >5miles away) you saw the wing lights of a Tornado (prob. GR1 given that it was 1992/1993) and about 10secs later it came right past doing a right hand turn through the valley.

Now...my question is, was this the Mach Loop?

Not strictly, but I think this is a route they often take down the estuary heading out to sea from the Loop. (y)

A lot of enthusiasts regularly sit at the end of the RAF and USAF bases up and down the country taking shots of the planes landing and taking off. Never any problems with the officials.

I also heard that these pilots are not allowed to use burner's in the loop and many have got in trouble as photos have appeared online from the many togs who sit on the hills waiting for the jets. If the pilots can be identified they could get in trouble. Some forums ask for photos of planes with burners on not to be uploaded for this reason.

Although these are great shots, I was wondering the same thing myself. Over on Fox2, I don't think this sort of image would be put up on the site. :shrug:

With regards to these F15 that come through the loop, i presume some how togs get a heads up as to when they are coming through as sometimes there seem to be tons of them on corris corner with flags and banners (which i can see clearly from home) and when alot of these f15's come through they seem to show off a little and be extra low, noisy and fast with burner's on as they pull around the corner heading towards Macyhnlleth rather than out to see at Tywyn No doubt it looks even better for the togs as it does for me on the ground.

Many locals hate these jets spoiling the peace & tranquillity of the area.......personally i think there awesome :)

...when alot of these f15's come through they seem to show off a little and be extra low, noisy and fast with burner's on...

As far as I'm aware, the USAF only have clearance down to 500ft whereas the RAF can go down to 250ft and I've seen plenty of F15's in the Loop but have yet to see one with its after burners on or pulling any excessive manoeuvres. :shrug:

As far as I'm aware, the USAF only have clearance down to 500ft whereas the RAF can go down to 250ft and I've seen plenty of F15's in the Loop but have yet to see one with its after burners on or pulling any excessive manoeuvres. :shrug:

it defo happens trust me, photo have appeared on fox2 and the lowfly sites (even though as previously mentioned it is frowned upon) and i have seen it with my own eye, its an awesome site........!!

Last edited:
Back