European breakdown cover?

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone here unlucky enough to have experience of European breakdown cover? My Fords were always covered by Ford for breakdowns in Europe so I never had to arrange separate cover.

Now I've a Tiguan for the next while, I need to arrange cover. The AA won't give a discount despite me having all-singing-all-dancing UK cover so a multi trip policy is just over £120 which I don't actually mind paying if I know it's any good.

Any personal recommendation is very welcome.

Thanks, Kevin

I've had it with AA and I've had it with the RAC. Only time I've ever used it was with the RAC in France. They sent some local chaps out to help which I think is exactly what the AA would have done. Service was fine but it took a while - apparently France is notoriously bad.

£120 seems spendy though - the RAC webpage says I could buy a fortnight's cover for £53.39 or annual multi trip for £92.21. That's for their middle cover - top cover isn't a lot more money but doesn't offer a lot more. You may even find it cheaper to take out a full year's RAC including European cover rather than upgrading your AA.

ETA: The RAC claim was actually for a puncture. It is apparently illegal to change your own wheel on French motorways. Sigh....

Last edited:
Thanks Jonathan, that's helpful. Pretty sure it would be locals, according to whoever contracts were with.

Will check out whatever RAC might offer me...

Wasn't aware of it being illegal to change a tyre - worth knowing, thanks.

Like most insurance policies, it's one I hope not to need - never had a problem thus far in Europe.

Wasn't aware of it being illegal to change a tyre - worth knowing, thanks.

I just checked and Google says this isn't precisely true, but there's a general law that effectively prohibits changing the left tyre when you're on a motorway. Either way, it was a pretty dangerous spot so even in the UK I would probably have called the RAC. Not least because the spare was under several boxes of wine :)

https://www.frenchentree.com/france-forum/topic/changing-a-tyre/

About 10 years ago I used the AA for a trip to France and they were fine. The only thing to consider is that if you break down on a French motorway the AA can't recover you. Instead you have to use one of the emergency phones and the police will send out one of their approved operators. This happened to me, the AA acted as translator and go between when they arrived and sorted out all the bills.

I am with nationwide flex plus / and that gives me breakdown in Europe as well as the UK. You have to pay £10 per month for this account, but the interest, phone insurance, breakdown insurance and travel insurance more than make up for it.

Actually, if you cash in the interest you get on the current account (a 5% saver available as well) I am effectively only paying £4 per month for these account perks.

I wholeheartedly recommend this product. Very good value for money.

Check out who you are insured with. Many offer breakdown cover which is same as top RAC/AA package for a fraction of the price. The difference is the cover is on the insured vehicle not the person. I pay an additional £35 on my yearly policy for full equivalent of RAC top policy but it is on the vehicle.

I think AA or RAC full is about £140 or so but If say I was in Dave's car and it broke down with me in it, could use my RAC/AA for recovery if he didn't have it. (Hope that makes sense)

I'm with start rescue. Cost less than 90 for a full euro cover, but never really needed to use them so can't comment on the service.

AA is seriously overpriced, and a few years ago left me with blown turbo hose 200miles away in the scottish highlands. You don't always get what you pay for.

I'm with start rescue. Cost less than 90 for a full euro cover, but never really needed to use them so can't comment on the service.

AA is seriously overpriced, and a few years ago left me with blown turbo hose 200miles away in the scottish highlands. You don't always get what you pay for.

Agree re AA. I left them for RAC, after unimpressive service funnily enough also in Highlands.

Thanks for all those.

Cost isn't an issue really but good service is, so I suppose it's down to taking a chance with one of them.

Thanks for all those.

Cost isn't an issue really but good service is, so I suppose it's down to taking a chance with one of them.

My guess is that you may as well choose one on cost then - every UK firm will be outsourcing.

Gone with AXA £48 for 4 weeks and hopefully will not be needed [emoji3]

When I renewed my breakdown cover last year, I was initially told that they couldn't provide European cover for vehicles over 10 years old (StartRescue), but they changed their mind when I said I would look elsewhere. My car is 12 years old and the policy is coming up for renewal in November. I have to admit, that I don't regard a 10 year old car as "old".

Back