Evening Light at Dunure.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I stopped off at Dunure Castle last night on the Ayrshire Coast. I'd had a shot in mind for a while but the tide was in, at its highest for the day. The light wasn't great at the time either, with there being too much of it. I waited my chance though, which never really came as I wanted it to but the clouds came in, which softened the light but the sky just died. I did get a break though after about an hour of waiting and got this, not quite what I set out for but I'll take.

Evening Light. by Dale, on Flickr

Last edited:

Very cool surf curve leading to the ruins!

I would not touch the sky not the sea but
lower the °K of the land… a suggestion:

Evening%20Lightpp.jpg

I love this shot. Personally I prefer the warmer light tones of the 1st image. Technically QC's edit might be better but there is something lovely about low sunlight lighting up honey coloured stones and the slightly yellowed grass from the warm light.

Have to say I agree with lowering the tones as my eyes are immediately drawn to the land scene. Either way, it's a good picture.

Thanks for the replies chaps. (y)

I did consider cooling down the yellows a little on this one, so I'm in part agreement with Daniel. That said, in reality, it really was quite breathtaking how that part fo the landscape lit up and it was very bright, compared to the rest of the dull atmosphere. I actually watched the light race in over the water from behind me and saw it coming. I scrambled into the water and set up hastily and waited (hoped too) for the light to hit the castle. It was a brief but spectacular moment which I've tried to keep as representative as possible. I note the suggestion though and it is a good one, thanks.

I have another one that may be a keeper that I'm currently processing but in much duller light, so watch for that one here in a while, to compare. I'm currently processing it in colour but I may convert to mono.

Taken in much duller, almost blue light. Very difficult lght to work with. I've pulled the yellows back a little on the grassy areas. I thought there was a halo , top right where the grass meets the sky but it looks like lighter colour grass when zoomed in. I do like it but it doesn't pop quite as much as the one above.

I'm going to try a mono version.

Dunure July 2016. by Dale, on Flickr

I've been looking at this set over the weekend and I think this one is my pick. It's very similar to the one above but I think the water is far better. I've not done a mono of any yet but it's coming. ;)

Dunure, 29/07/16 by Dale, on Flickr

Cheers Neil.

I think the darker 2 suit the mood of the place but the light in the first one was special for a little while.

Back