Evening Lightning

Name
Marie Hass
Edit My Images
Yes
I was impressed by the lightning storm we had the other day and I wanted to share with you the dramatic displays over the valley.

D8E_8479.jpg

D8E_8479.jpg

D8E_8688.jpg
D8E_8688.jpg

some critique.

Last edited:
Impressive shots and nice to see the lightning showing the shape of the clouds.

I would crop both to square formats though.

Yes, that could be an option but to the cost of the very detailed
circular shaped clouds extending to the left of the frame, Jack.

What is amazing to me is that much greater amount of light from
over the hills ridge revealing the great difference in light between
two valleys… part of the dramatic in this weather phenomenon.

This is the kind of shot where pulling out the right balance of ex-
posure and WB is difficult because every bolt is different, brief.

Well done Marie and welcome back on TP!

Round my way the bolts weren't hitting the ground f4.0 24mm 3.2sec ISO100
L1.jpg

Last edited:
Round my way the bolts weren't hitting the ground

These may be impressive too, Ian…
though I think you could have pulled out
waaaay more drama out of this one! :cool:

The shots are awesome, right up there as some of the better UK lightning shots I have seen. I don't know if there is such a thing as accurate WB for this sort of thing but the colours you have are dramatic and work for me.

Critique, is simply that I would have not moved the tripod, and after the lightning strikes shot another exposure for the foreground that was focussed accurately so that you could have blended the lightning and foreground for front to back sharpness.

Dear Craig,

Great idea. I will keep that in mind. Usually for evening shots like these, i prefocus to infinity, then put the focus on manual so I am not hunting in the dark. Things move so fast in an electrical storm that it is difficult to think in terms of FG shots without losing the best of the storm. Maybe I am wrong? Lightning happens so fast, so many times i get nothing despite shooting low-speed continuous. Do you shoot lightning? It is certainly not reliable.

Thank you, Kodiak for your comments. Teasing out the details was not easy.

Marie

Two stunning captures. I love clouds and weather systems in general, so these are right up my street.

Thanks, Martin. Weather systems fascinate me as well. I have more lightning shots I can post if you'd like to see them.

Marie

Very good set with the second being my favourite because of the sense of scale you get from the layers of clouds.

James

Back