Ever had a Arrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! Moment

Left my battery charger in a hotel room in San Francisco, didn't discover until I was at Yosemite. Bought a usb version that charged the batteries in the car to get around that. Very handy now, lives in the car all the time.

I had a girlfriend who would always mislay things, like her keys or her phone. I just needed to ask her: "where was the FIRST place you looked for it?" Then I would go there and find it! Quite reliably, she'd look in a hurry and miss it every time. In the end she dumped me for being such a smug git! Oh well. You try to help.

Based on that experience, it would seem that I can expect divorce papers through the post any day now.:LOL:

Heading down the M4 for a holiday on the Gower Peninsula, realised that I had forgotten my camera - an Olympus bridge Camera (C8080). I wasn't too bothered as I could use my wife's spare compact whilst she used her DSLR. After a day of trying to use the tine viewfinder on the compact it was off to Jessops in Cardiff, I left with a Canon 450D and that was the start of the slippery slope into photography for me.

Chris

Had loads of these moments and even bought a replacement on next day from amazon only to find whatever it is as soon as it arrives.. too much gear and not organised is the cause.. am I likely to change? err... no LOL

Bought a bunch of used equipment from the states, when I got around to checking out the 1kw head I may have forgotten it was a 120v bulb.

I did prove the saying about 'the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long' wrong though, it was more like 1 second.

Yep. "Lost" my tripod.

Turned the house upside down several times over the course of three or four weeks. And my car. And her car. Talked to people and places we'd visited. Everything.

Eventually came to the conclusion that I must have propped it against the car and driven off or something like that.

So after a few months I bought a new one. And a ball head.

Two weeks after that I found the old one hung on the banister at the bottom of the stairs hidden by a pile of coats. Uh-huh... :mad::mad::mad:

Yep. "Lost" my tripod.

Turned the house upside down several times over the course of three or four weeks. And my car. And her car. Talked to people and places we'd visited. Everything.

Eventually came to the conclusion that I must have propped it against the car and driven off or something like that.

Two weeks after that I found the old one hung on the banister at the bottom of the stairs hidden by a pile of coats. Uh-huh... :mad::mad::mad:

:D `doh !

Not really an aaahhh where did I leave that but definitely a few minutes of panic. A few months after being given my first dSLR for a Christmas present my partner and I went to the north west of Scotland for 2 weeks. Our favourite place - bliss - and I had a new camera to unleash on it. Having until then lived in the world of film I planned well. I only had one SD card so I bought a new high capacity USB stick to download everything onto. I'd had a compact digital camera for a while and used to plug the SD card from that straight into my ancient laptop no problem. I'd only ever plugged the SD card from the dSLR into my (very slightly) newer desktop (you can see what's coming here can't you?). First night up in Scotland, having taken several photos over the 2 days it takes us to get there, I slipped the SD card into the laptop and................ 'device not recognised'............. Panic. My partner hadn't been going to take his laptop but there was room in the car so he did. Card into his laptop - nothing. Fortunately it was just that, not being a photographer, he'd never put a card in the reader and hadn't pushed it fully home. When he did it worked. Phew! Had I taken the download cable? No of course not. Why would I? Being new to digital I of course hadn't realised that the SDHC card from the dSLR is a different animal to the original SD card from the compact, and my old laptop was too old to know how to read it. Now when I travel it's 6 cards, 2 USB sticks, a shiny new laptop AND the cable.
My partner, on the other hand, on another trip north, got over the border before remembering his fleece was hanging on a door in his house, and we do a lot of walking when we're up there. There's a reason Tiso's built a store right next to the A9 at Perth................

Last wedding I did for a friend, I was messed around rotten before during and after, I forgot to load my camera bag into the car after taking photographs at her home before going to the church.

It wasn't Arrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh. It was pure MELTDOWN, fortunately the bridesmaid's car picked it up and dropped it with me before the bride appeared..

Day did not start well even before I got to the house, I arrived early the night before as my friend (and assistant on the day) had been invited to a do the night before only not to be told the time and place. We had our timetable sketched out, but no one was ready so I was already at Arrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh point..

She's got her prints, she messed around my friend/assistant and we've not been in touch since.

I had MANY of them! It seemed like every time I nipped out of the hide for a ciggie the Bitterns would do a River Dance imitation! Or the kingfishers would catch unusual prey, or the Tree Creepers would actually stand still etc etc

So I had a cunning plan - stop smoking - that will fox them! Err no:grumpy:

Now that I can be in a hide all the time NOTHING turns up - Doh!

Now I have more money for gear but nothing comes in front of my lens - GRRR!

Yep, had one this week, more of a big numpty moment I'd call it.
Just got a Tamron 150-600 G2, never read instructions (like us men never do) so out last week and the zoom gets all stiff, hard to turn with one hand, peeved that it's happened to a new lens costing loads, anyway again this Thursday I'm out again and again zoom locks up, checked all switches etc, nothing wrong, and like the 1st time, it cleared itself. Complain to the shop and pack it away ready for posting and I decided to watch a video on YouTube, little did I realise and here's the big numpty [emoji17] the zoom lock went on somehow, now I knew there is a switch to lock the zoom at 150mm but didn't realise you can push the zoom ring forward to lock the lens at any other length.
Now unpacked and sitting waiting for me to start using it again [emoji2]
Moral of the story is... Read the bloody instructions. [emoji12]

Doh !!!

Yep. "Lost" my tripod.

At least that was the excuse you gave for buying a new tripod ... don't worry ... we know the truth but will keep your secret ...

Yep, had one this week, more of a big numpty moment I'd call it.
Just got a Tamron 150-600 G2, never read instructions (like us men never do) so out last week and the zoom gets all stiff, hard to turn with one hand, peeved that it's happened to a new lens costing loads, anyway again this Thursday I'm out again and again zoom locks up, checked all switches etc, nothing wrong, and like the 1st time, it cleared itself. Complain to the shop and pack it away ready for posting and I decided to watch a video on YouTube, little did I realise and here's the big numpty [emoji17] the zoom lock went on somehow, now I knew there is a switch to lock the zoom at 150mm but didn't realise you can push the zoom ring forward to lock the lens at any other length.
Now unpacked and sitting waiting for me to start using it again [emoji2]
Moral of the story is... Read the bloody instructions. [emoji12]
You don't read the reviews where they complained about that "feature" either :)

Yep, stood in the shallows of a river at the weekend, all setup on the tripod ready to take some long exposures of a waterfall when I realised the top plate on my tripod was so lose it wasn't far off falling off! No Allen keys in my bag to tighten things up either. Pictures were a bit of a write off, but at least there was no serious damage done...

I now have an Allen key in my bag!

Last edited:
You don't read the reviews where they complained about that "feature" either :)
Haha no but read all the other reviews/comparisons.

Spent the last half hour editing a bunch of old photos with Lightroom Mobile on iPad thinking how bad the white balance on the old Canon D40 was ... until I released the iPad had gone into "Night Shift" :)

Back when I had my 40D I mislaid the charger, it was not in its usual place!

I looked high & low and nowhere to be found, a couple of days go by and the only thing I could think of was that it likely slipped off of the shelving unit into the waste paper bin,..............the arghhhhhh moment was that the day before I had come to that conclusion I had emptied the bin as the following day was collection day.

If I recall I bought a 3rd party one and that was in the kit when I part exchanged it.

Spent the last half hour editing a bunch of old photos with Lightroom Mobile on iPad thinking how bad the white balance on the old Canon D40 was ... until I released the iPad had gone into "Night Shift" :)
Dont have that problem with a "PC" :p

Silverstone on Friday. Had to manual focus to try and focus past the fence at Becketts but then walked the track a bit. Spent the next hour trying to work out why every shot was blurry, even upping the shutter speed didn't help. Eventually realised that yes I was still manually focussing. :withstupid:

Its a good job this isn't my day job!

Car show. Brought along my shiny new camera. Took some photos. Camera refused to take any more. Turns out I'd left the memory card on the bedside table and could take only six shots.

Recent trip to New York. I made sure I had two batteries charged up, and that I packed both in my man-bag, and the charger in the suitcase. Grabbed my memory card. Everything packed. Got to NYC okay. After an afternoon of exploring (whilst I took photos), we headed back to the hotel for an early first night. Checked the camera to review the photos and realised I had only 50 photos left to take. Turned out I'd grabbed my 2GB memory card and not my 32GB one. Thankfully it was NYC so a trip to the local Staples meant I could pick up another SD card. Alas, B&H were shut because of Passover.

I had just arrived in the Breacons in Wales to go & do the Waterfall Walk as I'd never been, got to the first waterfall, set up and took some pictures......... to be continued

Prior to this visit, I was taking some pics at my work & a woman knocked my camera out of my hand and it fell from about 4 foot and hit a desk before my harness or I could catch the slack (First arrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!)... hello horrific back focus problem. So I sent the camera to Nikon & within 7 days & £79 later I had my camera back like it was new! fully repaired and serviced. I was going to take my second body (I have two D7100's) away and leave the new shiny repaired one at home but thought no Ill take the fresh repaired one.......

So picture the scene... I have just used my newly repaired camera, for the first time, 4 hours away from home.... I'm using it with my Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8, Hoya UV Filter and had fitted my Hoya ND1000 filter. I'm stood there talking to the missus & as I unlatch the safety clip on my trusty Manfroto head..... I slip...the next bit all happens in slow motion as I fall backwards and my camera falls forwards all I can do is watch as it hits hard stone floor LENS FIRST and there is a sickening smash of glass.

aaaaarrrrrrrrrrahjagFHl'gSN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pick the camera up that's now covered in mud and start to check the damage, the smash was the ND1000, the UV filter was still intact! The lens however needed some serious TLC! I ended up using my 35mm for the rest of the day & managed to repair and clean the lens myself that night at the hotel... The camera didn't have a scratch, still focused and was just dirty, so now that body is known as the Dirty Sister..

Spent the first 10 minutes at a rugby match toady trying to figure out why I was not getting the full FPS from my 7D,

Drive set to high speed continuous - Check
AF set to continuous - Check
Battery fully charged - Check
Change battery just in case - Check
reset custom functions in case I changed some AF setting - Check

Then in a quiet moment I hear the IS on the lens working away Doh :banghead:
its always the last thing you check :LOL:

This morning walking to work along the river. Had my camera bag over my shoulder. Heard a weird honking sound and thought to myself I wonder what that is... camera not out as it normally is when I am by the river and I turn to see 7 swans flying together towards me along the river!! Felt that moment not only for not having my camera out already, and for not recognising the sound as swans! I had just walked past them a minute or two earlier as well!

YES!! not that long ago either!!

I was out side St Thomas' hospital shooting Houses of Parliament. Shoulder bag on one side, 550D on a Q strap on the other side. Long storey short I un-did the wrong side and looked in horror as my camera plummeted to the concrete floor!!
Got some minor scratches but it survived and I've learnt a valuable lesson!

I have two Tripod related ARRRRRRRrrrrrrr moments. One awhile ago, and one very recent and financially painful.

About 7 years ago I went from Liverpool to Southport for the annual British Musical Fireworks Championships. Altogether about an hour's trip. Getting ready to set up, only to find that I had left the tripod Head at home. :eek: :mad: :( :rolleyes: I ended up having the Tripod on the floor on its side with the camera placed on it, and the camera adjusted with my coat underneath. Not so easy to set up the camera three inches off the floor in the time before an adjustable LCD screen. :(

The second one happened a couple of weeks ago, second day into a weeks holiday. Recently I have taken to carrying my tripod around during the day, rather than just taking it out in the morning or at night. I was in Venice, and took the boat to Burano. Lovely relaxed trip sitting at the back of the boat in the Sun. :) Got off the boat, walked the hundred or so metres into the island and started taking some pics. It was then I realised I had left my Tripod on the back of the boat. :eek: :rolleyes: Now the boat from Burano sometimes goes the short distance from Burano to Torcello and back, so I rushed back to the Vaporetto stop and enquired if that was the case. 'No' was the reply. :( It was going on another route. He said to try the Lost Property Dept, but give it a few hours to get there, if it indeed would get there. Tried 5 days on the run with no luck. :(

But I had to buy a Tripod for some of the pics I had planned after the first day of the of not being in Lost Property. There are about for 4 Photography shops in Venice. Found one of the bigger ones I had seen before was closed, though not according to the internet. :rolleyes: I bought a Tripod for €79 in another shop. It was actually the 2nd Tripod I tried, as while the Tripod could take the weight of the camera and lens, it could not apparently take the weight when the camera was in the portrait position, with the camera drooping badly as the camera could not be tightened enough. Glad I tried before I bought. :LOL:

Now that I am back I have replaced what I had lost. The cheapest I could initially find was Tripod and Head for £207, as prices don't seem to vary much for Tripod related gear. Thankfully I found a 'Open Box' Tripod saving £35. And I found a Head £9 cheaper. Still made it a more expensive trip than it should have been. :( Hopefully lesson learned.

Back