Everyone switching to Canon ....

I switched from Canon to Nikon, because currently the D600/D800 beat the Canons in terms of DR and color depth. For what I'm doing, those two are important values. If I were a sports photographer, I'd be thinking about a Canon. Or an E-M1 (10 fps I hear) :)

Interesting and suppose if you were more into video then I reckon the Canon would be better...... I think if all lenses were interchangeable then we maybe would all have different bodies to use that suited the particular job

So who on the forum swapped from Canon to Nikon or Nikon to Canon and why ?

I switch systems a lot, they all have + and -

In FF terms I went....

5D -> D700 -> D800 -> 6D -> A7 and lots of APSC and M43 in between.

I now shoot Fuji.

Last edited:
IMHO, there's reasons to switch. Canon does have some advantages in lenses (17mm TS-E, rotatable TS lenses, 200-400 w/ TC, etc) and I would be quite happy using a 1DX. If it made financial sense, I'd use both systems, or switch between systems as one outdid the other. But no-one is giving me gear and I don't make enough off of photography for a write-off like that to make sense... I'd be switching systems every 2 yrs or so....

But it aggravates me to hear dumb s*** as the reason someone should change. Image review?? On a Nikon just hit the plus button and you can scroll thru/mark images as fast as the processor can display them...
AF?? The lens matters a lot here... but the 1DX may be a bit better, it has more + points and points overall. Still, I've not seen a Canon 1DX shooter outshoot me in "keepers."
High ISO? I've taken great low noise images at 12,800 w/ the D4, and noisy images at 6400. There's a big difference in using high ISO because there's actually no light.

I thought it was he other way around. Everyone going to Nikon. But at the end of the day it shouldn't matter what gear you use.

I went from a Sony a37 to a Nikon d7000 because of lens availability and second hand cost. I found everytime I wanted a specific lens the Sony versions were few and far between and usually (rather weiirdly!!) more expensive new even without VC/OS due to Sony's having it built in. I also found that due to their SLT design, the low light was about a stop worse. I was going to upgrade to a more enthusiast based camera anyway so thought I might aswell jump ship before I got too heavily invested in Sony with better quality lenses.

I'll probably switch to Canon at some point as Sony lens choice seems quite poor in comparison when looking second hand

From using friends Nikon/Canon cameras though there are definitely things I prefer about both brands, and when you see a great photo it doesn't matter what it was taken on!

A while back the bloke on YouTube who used to be called the Nikon guy switched to cannon and now I just read Scott kelby is also switching to cannon for various reasons...... Is Nikon a sinking ship or something?
Nikon need to get their act together the D4 was a disaster. If the D4s is not significantly better all they will have at the sports pro level are 3 cameras D3s,D4 and D4s that are all at the same level.I think the D4s will be make or break for Nikon at the pro level.

I was working with an Action Images tog(Nikon) about six months ago and he said he had been approached by Canon to go over to the 1Dx and he asked me what I thought.I said how long can you wait for the d4s and then how long after that does the Canon 1Dx Mk2 come out? If the D4s cannot better the 1Dx Nikon will be to far behind for pro togs.The dual card slots was simply ridiculous!

The problem with Canon is there big prime lens prices. For most amateurs they are prohibitively expensive. You can almost buy a 300 f2.8 & 500 f4 for the price of the Canon 500.

Canon are missing a high spec crop camera from their line up. Something in between the 70D and the 5D MkIII at a price point of around £1750. I really wish they would bring a body out to fill this gap. Whether its a 7D II or whatever they want to call it. Dropping the MkIV was a poor decision IMHO.

Nikon need to get their act together the D4 was a disaster. If the D4s is not significantly better all they will have at the sports pro level are 3 cameras D3s,D4 and D4s that are all at the same level.I think the D4s will be make or break for Nikon at the pro level.

I was working with an Action Images tog(Nikon) about six months ago and he said he had been approached by Canon to go over to the 1Dx and he asked me what I thought.I said how long can you wait for the d4s and then how long after that does the Canon 1Dx Mk2 come out? If the D4s cannot better the 1Dx Nikon will be to far behind for pro togs.The dual card slots was simply ridiculous!

I never knew the D4 was a disaster I always read rave reviews about it :thinking:

The problem with Canon is there big prime lens prices. For most amateurs they are prohibitively expensive. You can almost buy a 300 f2.8 & 500 f4 for the price of the Canon 500.

Canon are missing a high spec crop camera from their line up. Something in between the 70D and the 5D MkIII at a price point of around £1750. I really wish they would bring a body out to fill this gap. Whether its a 7D II or whatever they want to call it. Dropping the MkIV was a poor decision IMHO.

Nikon doesn't have anything like that either since D300. I personally would much prefer owning 1Dx to 1.3crop 1DIV and this must be the general consensus since Canon did it this way.

P.S. Wait for Nikon long primes refresh. I fear Canons may end end being a bit of a bargain. 500 f/4 is hardly amateur lens at a price of decent car.

Theres always people changing systems this is no different.

But it does seem like nikon has lost its way slightly though. As said the 1dx seemed to better the d4 and it didn't improve on the d3s enough in most's eyes as well, the d800 wasn't what many wanted from a d700 replacement and the 5dmk3 seemed to be just that. D600 issues,d800 issues ,the df that bar japan seems to have got negative reviews especially considering the price,as did the 58 1.4. then theres the constant complaints of impact damage and bad service ,especially in the US.
I think if they don't do something soon they may loose more users.

But on the other hand theres been a fair bit of unhappiness from the canon camp,many expecting more from the 5dmk3 and ive seen quite a few switch to the d800 due to the DR and resolution. many consider them not improving models fast/well enough and having large price increases.

I must say I considered switching to canon after my issues with my first d800,but its a every expensive thing to do as an amateur. I would have lost a considerable amount on my glass(body would have been mainly covered by the shop). then theres the chance that the grass isnt always greener. ive used nikon for 4/5 years now and know the lay out on the little ive used canon it felt alien to me.

In the late '90s, when I got back into photography after a longish break, the camera that fitted my wants, budget and (most importantly) hands was a Nikon - the F65. A few years later and I had a small but reasonable selection of Nikon AF mount lenses and a flash but Canon had released a sub £1,000 DSLR and I was quite seriously considering switching systems. While I was considering it and pricing up the swap, the D70 dropped significantly in price and still felt better than the Canon alternative. Stayed with film for UWA stuff until the Nikon FF DSLRs were affordable and now have a couple of them as well as the D70 and a couple of film SLRs.
Very happy with the Canons I do have though - a waterproof compact (D10) and an A3+ printer (iX4000). Will possibly be upgrading the printer before too long but that will still be a Canon.

A while back the bloke on YouTube who used to be called the Nikon guy switched to cannon and now I just read Scott kelby is also switching to cannon for various reasons...... Is Nikon a sinking ship or something?

No Canon are cheaper with lenses and cameras, if you want real quality Nikon is the way to go. Of course canon owners try to cheat because you can get adapter rings for Canon lenses to fit Nikon bodies but not Nikon lenses to fit Canon bodies As Nikon lenses are far superior:nikon:

Last edited:
No Canon are cheaper with lenses and cameras, if you want real quality Nikon is the way to go. Of course canon owners try to cheat because you can get adapter rings for Canon lenses to fit Nikon bodies but not Nikon lenses to fit Canon bodies As Nikon lenses are far superior:nikon:

- At the consumer end of the market the MSRPs are likely very close - and cash backs and retailer offers are going to determine which is lower on any given day. At the pro end Canon bodies are MORE EXPENSIVE than Nikon (£4850 for the 1Dx vs £4150 for the D4) and the super-telephotos are significantly more expensive - albeit that as discussed above a refresh of the Nikon line-up may negate or reduce the current gap in pricing as Canon's increase is driven by the new technology in their lenses to make them lighter (e.g. 400mm f2.8 - Canon=£8,200 , Nikon=£6,500)

- Not quite.....you can put a Nikon lens on a Canon body with an adaptor, but not the other way around.

....Nikon shot its self in the foot a little by trying to replace every lens with a mk2 or afs. This has put people off as there is still no clear L series

- Canon are also replacing a lot of their older lens designs - 24-70 f2.8L, the 24mm TSE and f.14 L prime, 70-200 and the super-telephotos from 300-600mm. Nikon are only doing the same, and still have some older designs to go - the 135mm f2.0 is the obvious one - still on a D design. With the move from DX to FX Nikon had to do some work, and as everyone else has to the move to very high MP sensors is driving a lot of the design changes. Some of the movement from D lenses to G lenses was also to accommodate the need to have focus motors in the lenses where the older screwdriver designs relied on a motor in the body to drive the glass. Smaller, cheaper DSLR bodies don't have these..... but this isn't a Nikon only issue - the Canon camp have the same situation needing to make updates - just less of a legacy of lenses on the EF mount compared to the Nikon F mount.

- There is a clear set of professional grade lenses from Nikon - they have a gold ring on them - similar to the red ring of the L lenses (L stands for "Luxury" by the way - Canon marketing in action). As with Canon though this isn't necessarily an indication of the quality as some of the more basic design lenses are also excellent - the 85mm f1.8 on Canon for example (at just 1/5th of the price of the f1.2 L).

IMHO, and as evidenced by Scott Kelby - ignorance (not necessarily aimed at the poster I quoted) of the other manufacturers equipment, settings and capabilities drives some of this. When I was a Canon user I had no idea about the coverage of Nikon lenses, what the designations meant, and how they stacked up to the Canon focal length equivalents. I heard rumours about a lack of tilt-shift, no IS/VR on long lenses, and no f1.2 (which of course you can get but only in manual lenses). Most of the reasons I had in my head for not going to Nikon were completely without merit.

Pretty much every single reason Scott Kelby gives for switching between the D4 and the 1Dx can either be negated by a setting in the menu, or is down to feel and impression but not capability or results. It is smoke and mirrors to justify the move whether he did it because he wanted new gear, to drive web traffic or just a few more episodes/blog entries. And as above - his switch is almost irrelevant for the professional marketplace. Scott is an educator and publisher who needs images to drive his talks, topics and content. I doubt he makes much from external use of his images - and I doubt anyone would spend money with him or not on his books or website - based on the skin tones of his NFL images.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's down to sponsorship when the big guns change. Free gear, payment etc. If someone paid me and gave me free gear I'd use their stuff, makes sense.

Scott Kelby did an interesting video, I'm guessing there may have been other reasons he didn't mention.

Have to say I was a little suprised that the Canon 100-400mm lens is still a push pull model,or at least my manageress has one that is.

Nikon doesn't have anything like that either since D300. I personally would much prefer owning 1Dx to 1.3crop 1DIV and this must be the general consensus since Canon did it this way.

P.S. Wait for Nikon long primes refresh. I fear Canons may end end being a bit of a bargain. 500 f/4 is hardly amateur lens at a price of decent car.

Most people would but the price is a major stumbling block. If Canon had a crop body midway between the 70D and 5D3 with good spec and the focusing from the 5 they would sell them all day long. Sales of the 5D3 would probably drop as im sure some people are buying them because of the lack of a hi spec crop body and trading the slowish frame rate for the ability to crop into the image.

Most people would but the price is a major stumbling block. If Canon had a crop body midway between the 70D and 5D3 with good spec and the focusing from the 5 they would sell them all day long. Sales of the 5D3 would probably drop as im sure some people are buying them because of the lack of a hi spec crop body and trading the slowish frame rate for the ability to crop into the image.

If you feel this way contact a Canon rep. They might listen and do something if enough people express this opinion. Maybe 7D wasn't selling quite as well, or is still selling too well?

I personally do not see any need to crop any 5D files and just prefer the whole full frame goodness. I believe this is why you buy them for. Fps is quite decent, although not 1D class. I do not shoot wildlife, as I can't afford to drop £4000 on a lens and haven't got the patience anyway :) If you can drop £4k on the lens, Canon reasonably thinks you've got another £4k for the body. I appreciate your view is different.

...Is Nikon a sinking ship or something?
Hope not. We don't really want just one major player to remain. Especially in these extremely difficult times on camera market. We, as consumers, will lose a lot if Nikon fails (btw I own Canon system at the moment).

i have just changed back to canon ,
i used to be with canon but changed a few years ago to nikon not ideal for wildlife but i got more than a fair few good shots ,my main gear being a d7000 d300s 300mmf4 1.4 and 1.7 tc,s this covered most eventualities ,but although good there were a few instances of the cameras etc playing up a bit and losing me shots at critical times ,come last year after a health scare i decided to sell both bodies and get a brand new all singing all dancing d7100 bad choice ,the first body i had played up from the start but i thought that was user error so stuck it out ,it drove me mad for 4 weeks and finally the menu system went do-lally and just refused to re-boot after 3000 or so shots ,took it back for a replacement body ,initially that was fine but at around 3000 shots and after 5 weeks that did exactly the same .this was the final straw and i decided it wasn't worth the hassle so i asked for and got a full refund from the retailer .funnily enough without the argument which i had been expecting .sold all my nikon gear a week later .

so here i am a few months later back on canon and enjoying it getting the photos i want with reliable gear ,i miss some functions of nikons ,but theres no perfect system out there .

Can you post a link to some of the "rave" reviews please.Thanks.
I think the reason the 1DX got such rave reviews and was such a big deal is that Canon was far behind in FF pro bodies prior to that (the 1Ds line). Right now the 1DX might be slightly ahead. The D4 didn't get "rave reviews" because it was only a minor step from the D3s...

Personally, I don't really know where they will go from here that will be much of an improvement... IMO, FAST on sensor AF (should be more accurate), and preferably stopped down AF (to eliminate focus shift issues) is the only area I want for improvement.

They could/probably will continue with the video...
They could/probably will continue with the MP's...
But neither of those interest me....

Matt Granger got cringey and annoying a long time back. Since he hired this model to follow him everywhere pretty much. Is he trying to be the Oz-Kai? Who cares if he switches? He got most of his following using Nikon to lure them in, now he's going for the rest, big deal.

I doubt any serious photographer worries about who uses what gear.

a brand new all singing all dancing d7100 bad choice ,the first body i had played up from the start but i thought that was user error so stuck it out ,it drove me mad for 4 weeks

Me too but mine only took a week to take back and no resistance from the supplier either - I think a few of the 1st run went back.

i have just changed back to canon ,
i used to be with canon but changed a few years ago to nikon not ideal for wildlife but i got more than a fair few good shots ,my main gear being a d7000 d300s 300mmf4 1.4 and 1.7 tc,s this covered most eventualities ,but although good there were a few instances of the cameras etc playing up a bit and losing me shots at critical times ,come last year after a health scare i decided to sell both bodies and get a brand new all singing all dancing d7100 bad choice ,the first body i had played up from the start but i thought that was user error so stuck it out ,it drove me mad for 4 weeks and finally the menu system went do-lally and just refused to re-boot after 3000 or so shots ,took it back for a replacement body ,initially that was fine but at around 3000 shots and after 5 weeks that did exactly the same .this was the final straw and i decided it wasn't worth the hassle so i asked for and got a full refund from the retailer .funnily enough without the argument which i had been expecting .sold all my nikon gear a week later .

so here i am a few months later back on canon and enjoying it getting the photos i want with reliable gear ,i miss some functions of nikons ,but theres no perfect system out there .
Which Canon did you buy when you went back.

So who on the forum swapped from Canon to Nikon or Nikon to Canon and why ?

I switched to Canon from Nikon a few months ago. I was using a D600, and while it did give some great pictures, I just couldn't get on with it after using a D700 previously, so I returned it. I had thought about the D800, but for what I intended to shoot (events/weddings/etc) it just wasn't the camera that I wanted, also having downloaded a lot of RAW samples, my laptop would have been put under a strain if I had to process more than one at a time. Specs wise the 5Dmkiii was bang on for what I wanted in a camera (great video, sensible/variable resolution), and I always liked the colours that Canon's produce, so I borrowed one from my work's advertising department for a weekend just to see how I got on with it, and (without wanting to sound like Scott Kelby) I was sold on both images and erganomics. I didn't have a huge amount of Nikon gear so switching was financially viable, so I just went for it!

Also being honest, part of the swap was curiosity, as I knew that if I felt I had made the wrong decision I could have swapped back again very easily, and I did make sure that was an option. However I am happy with the switch, yes there are advantages to Nikon that I would love to see in Canon (the DR and shadow pulling ability, and quick 2 button format!), but I personally find that for me it takes much less PP for me to get an image to how I want it to be. Now before everyone jumps on me, I know that's a very subjective opinion, but it's something that I (and others I've spoken to about it) have found.

Are my pictures any better with a Canon rather than a Nikon? Probably not, but am I happier with my choice of equipment? Yes, so to me that's reason enough!

Me too but mine only took a week to take back and no resistance from the supplier either - I think a few of the 1st run went back.
mine were not first run i was warned about them bought mine in late july replaced in august dumped in september

Which Canon did you buy when you went back.
at this moment in time i have a 60d coupled with a 120-400 sigma as a back up rig and for the wife to use when she's out . i initially bought a 7d but couldn't gel with it so just recently bought a used 1D mkiii which coupled with my 400mm f5.6 does everything that i ask it to and more .very happy with it to

For nearly 2yrs I ran with a Canon 5D Mk1, then bought a 5D Mk2 and found out it wouldn't focus right......(don't know why....?).
So ditched the Mk2 and then moved to Nikon gear.

I've a wild notion to pick up a Mamiya C330S TLR.

For nearly 2yrs I ran with a Canon 5D Mk1, then bought a 5D Mk2 and found out it wouldn't focus right......(don't know why....?).
So ditched the Mk2 and then moved to Nikon gear.

I've a wild notion to pick up a Mamiya C330S TLR.

I very nearly did the same, but had so much invested in Canon glass that I didn't fancy making the switch, and I'd heard that the equivalent Nikon glass was extortionate...this was before Canon did its refresh, and added 50% to the price of its refresh lenses...
5DmkII was such a disappointment AF wise. Very happy with my 5DmkIII.

So it certainly swings both ways. I use my D600 for weddings after my D90 died and loving it. I have also been lucky and had no dust issues

This.

real photographers couldnt give a stuff what they use, whatever it is gives them the image they're seeing in their head. The number of exhibitions i've gone to over the years and not one single image ever had a sticker next to it saying what body and lens was used.
Does this make me a 'real' photographer?

At a wedding recently a guest approached me and my 2nd for the day, who happened to be shooting Nikon, the guest was a bit non-plussed that it didn't bother either of us that we were 'opposites', we only judge each other by results, and we're both doing OK there. He was sure we'd have some sort of 'gear rivalry', whereas the only issue was I had to use a trial of Lightroom to process the 2nds shots, because I use DPP and PS CS5, which wouldn't handle the files.

Back