Everything Nikon Z Mirrorless Cameras

Edit My Images
Yes
Seeing as there are dedicated threads for the Sony FF mirrorless, and now Canon FF mirrorless, I thought I would make a different thread from the one started by StewartR confirming the rumours about the Z cameras, as that is quite long and went in many directions. ;) Hopefully users will post pics and share tips and info about the Nikon Z cameras here. If people would rather carry on with the other thread then that is fine with me. :)

So a first positive post, it seems the Nikon Z7 is the best built and weather sealed mirrorless camera so far according to Roger Cicala of Lensrentals in America after a camera tear down. They repair cameras and have a number of articles taking cameras apart, getting prepared for when they may need to repair them, and this is how they have come to their conclusions regarding the Nikon Z7. If will be interesting to see if the Z6 is built to the same standards at some point.

I find it interesting to read these types of article as there is no way I would ever see inside a camera unless it had been smashed to bits, where it would then be difficult to see the engineering involved. ;) Lensrentals have a few other camera tear down articles if you found the one above interesting. :)

Any Z users want to give everyone some of their impressions about their camera(s)! :)

Maybe you should change the title to Nikon Z owners/users thread....
But then I wouldn't be able to post in it, because I am neither an owner or user. ;)

Seriously, it is not just owners and users who may want to write about the Nikon Z cameras. Hopefully the thread will attract users and owners to contribute.

But then I wouldn't be able to post in it, because I am neither an owner or user. ;)

Seriously, it is not just owners and users who may want to write about the Nikon Z cameras. Hopefully the thread will attract users and owners to contribute.
But they can do that in the other thread

Hi Robert,

i agree with @redhed17 in this respect - the old thread contained a lot of speculation and wish lists as to what the new camera features may have been before it's release then we had 70% discussing two cards with 50% of that from one contributor. A new thread will actually (hopefully) focus on users experience with the camera and potential owners discussing with them the Pro's & Con's of the system.

I'm just trying to bring a Nikon Z thread inline with threads about others cameras, and like the original Canon R thread, there was a lot of speculation and discussion of the rumoured, and then confirmed specs, which got a bit OTT, and in some cases personal at times. Now this thread could go in that direction too, but those initial heated discussions have thankfully subsided, and in the case of the original thread started by StewartR, is not getting many posts. It could be that there are no Nikon Z users, :thinking: but it could also be that what went on in that original thread put people off posting. A new thread wipes the slate clean, so to speak, of a lot of the negativity and arguing that ensued in the other thread, and may encourage people, especially, but not only, owners and users to post. If no one posts in this thread then interest in the Nikon Z cameras may indeed be low. :( But hopefully not. ;)

There may be some Z7 users already, and Z6 users may start to appear when that is released, supposedly towards the end of November.

There will be more in depth reviews on the cameras and lenses appearing soon to discuss, and speculation and news of future products too.

Is there a list of Nikon mount lenses that are working with the adapter?

Is there a list of Nikon mount lenses that are working with the adapter?
Let me Google that for you. ;)

Seriously though, according to DPReview, "all Nikon AF-S and AF-I lenses are fully compatible with the Z system. Essentially, anything with its own focus motor will work and will be compatible with all the camera's functions. AF-D and AF Nikkor lenses without built-in AF motors will mount on the adapter and work with all metering modes, but will not autofocus. There's no AI lever on the adapter, though, so anything from before the mid 1980s will mount but will have increasing restrictions over which metering modes are available."!

Third party F mount lenses may need a bit of research regarding compatibility.

Nikon USA has this list, but only seem to list currently available lenses.

Let me Google that for you. ;)

Seriously though, according to DPReview, "all Nikon AF-S and AF-I lenses are fully compatible with the Z system. Essentially, anything with its own focus motor will work and will be compatible with all the camera's functions. AF-D and AF Nikkor lenses without built-in AF motors will mount on the adapter and work with all metering modes, but will not autofocus. There's no AI lever on the adapter, though, so anything from before the mid 1980s will mount but will have increasing restrictions over which metering modes are available."!

Third party F mount lenses may need a bit of research regarding compatibility.

Nikon USA has this list, but only seem to list currently available lenses.

Cheers, I’ll do some research :)

The Z7 review is up on DPReview and I'm confused. On one hand they say it "is the company's most well-rounded camera to date", but then say the AF is not up to what Nikon has done with their DSLR's, the Dynamic Range is slightly down on the D850, and there is the possibility of banding. It also has a very small buffer. Is this somehow offset by the improved video performance and AF performance during videos. For many video is not important, so take that aspect away, and is it still the company's most rounded 'camera'? I'm not so sure. :thinking:

Review at DPR.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z7/6

"Overall this is a very impressive performance, meaning the Z7 will produce detailed, flexible files in a wide range of conditions. You'll have to remember to turn electronic first curtain on to avoid shutter shock, which unfortunately limits your fastest shutter speed to 1/2000s."

That's disappointing.

"The Nikon Z7 is an extremely well-rounded digital camera and suitable for a wide range of photographic and video needs. It packs outstanding image quality and very good 4K video in a lightweight, well-built package with in-body image stabilization. Autofocus is less reliable than the competition and the buffer can be limiting for fast action, but overall, the Z7 is a pleasure to shoot with."

I'm not demanding with AF but that limited shutter speed with electronic first curtain shutter would be a problem for me as I turned it on with my camera on the day I got it and have always used it with speeds up to the max of 1/8000 for wide aperture shooting on good light days.

Following this thread I'm interested in the Z6 or if I win the lottery the Z7

DPReview's points are valid.

However, having shot with the Z7 for a couple of days it is definitely a camera that needs a personal experience to fully appreciate.

Perhaps it lacks some features or AF tracking performance when compared to a7R III or a9, but it is very hard to get back to a Nikon DSLR after shooting with the Z7. It is that good. Even with all these limitations and compromises.

For me this is a winner (apart from the price).

However, having shot with the Z7 for a couple of days it is definitely a camera that needs a personal experience to fully appreciate.

Perhaps it lacks some features or AF tracking performance when compared to a7R III or a9, but it is very hard to get back to a Nikon DSLR after shooting with the Z7. It is that good. Even with all these limitations and compromises.

Despite the possible / arguable weaknesses this camera has it may very well be good enough if not actually cutting edge in some areas but the price would eat at me when there are seemingly / arguably better and cheaper options. Even if knowing it's good enough for me that one thing (price) would maybe still eat at me. I do think that it makes the most sense for people with existing lenses and that's very probably enough to clinch it for many. Same goes for the Canon too, IMO.

Price is exactly the issue. I once bought into Sony A7 when it was first released despite its limitations. But it cost me less than £1.2K which was less than my FF body at the time.

This thing costs more than my A7RIII

The camera can shoot at up to 9fps (JPEG and 12-bit Raw, AE locked) with no live feed and 5.5fps with a live feed. Unfortunately in 5.5fps mode the EVF refresh rate drops so significantly that following action is a real challenge.

That was the deal breaker for me. Otherwise I would have been really interested. I think I could have lived with the 1 card slot.

I’m sure the next bodies will be improved.

Wasn't this thread for owners to give their feedback? The 'other' thread was ruined by people who don't own the camera criticising it on spec sheets, surely it would make sense for the above comments to be made on the other thread rather than ruining this one as well?

Wasn't this thread for owners to give their feedback? The 'other' thread was ruined by people who don't own the camera criticising it on spec sheets, surely it would make sense for the above comments to be made on the other thread rather than ruining this one as well?

According to the title, no. Had it been changed to what was suggested in post 2 then I would have agreed with you but as it stands it's unfortunately just a general Nikon Z thread (again).

Title says otherwise?

But how many non Sony posters post in the Sony thread and how many Canon posters post in the Nikon/Sony thread? Are these not general discussions about the camera?

If the thread was Nikon Z owners discussion I could understand where you are coming from?

Plus I am not 'criticising' the spec sheets, but just saying it was a deal breaker, for me, not everyone.

I'm interested is what Nikon do with the Z cameras, so I have any interest in this thread.

Last edited:
At times the Sony thread has had more other talk than Sony talk, Fuji springs to mind :D IMO you have to at least consider other stuff to give yourself some context, these things don't exist in a vacuum and as long as the talk isn't OTT fanboy trolling (again IMO) it adds to the thread rather than detracting from it. Anyway, I wont be back... for a while :D

:confused: :thinking: I wrote in post #3 "Seriously, it is not just owners and users who may want to write about the Nikon Z cameras. Hopefully the thread will attract users and owners to contribute." And you liked that post. :thinking: And then in the next post you wrote "A new thread will actually (hopefully) focus on users experience with the camera and potential owners discussing with them the Pro's & Con's of the system." :thinking:

So far I have seen people posting links to reviews, articles and videos about the Z7 and Z6, and a couple of people have said why they have chosen not to get either of the current Nikon Z cameras.

I say again, "it is not just owners and users who may want to write about the Nikon Z cameras" in this thread. As long as it doesn't degenerate into a fan boy(or girl ;)) name calling BS, and is done in a civil way, all are welcome. :)

:confused: :thinking: I wrote in post #3 "Seriously, it is not just owners and users who may want to write about the Nikon Z cameras. Hopefully the thread will attract users and owners to contribute." And you liked that post. :thinking: And then in the next post you wrote "A new thread will actually (hopefully) focus on users experience with the camera and potential owners discussing with them the Pro's & Con's of the system." :thinking:

So far I have seen people posting links to reviews, articles and videos about the Z7 and Z6, and a couple of people have said why they have chosen not to get either of the current Nikon Z cameras.

I say again, "it is not just owners and users who may want to write about the Nikon Z cameras" in this thread. As long as it doesn't degenerate into a fan boy(or girl ;)) name calling BS, and is done in a civil way, all are welcome. :)

Seriously looking at buying a Nikon Z series I was hoping for more posts like this that are extremely useful to potential purchasers:

360 lenses are compatible according to this.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-p...z.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

AF-D lenses are manual focus only.

Cheers. Any idea if the likes of sigma and tamron will work?

Sigmas do.
Tamrons do not.

.............and this is extremely useful:

I was hoping, like the Canon thread there would be more posts like above and sample images from real users...........may be wishful thinking?

Last edited:
I was hoping, like the Canon thread there would be more posts like above and sample images from real users...........may be wishful thinking?
Maybe there are no Z camera users/owners on here, maybe there are, and if there are, they haven't seen this thread, or maybe they have but don't want to, or have nothing to say. Yes they are more than welcome, and it would be nice to hear a owner/users perspective, especially having the option to be asked specific questions only a owner/user may have the answer to, but this isn't a thread for only owners/users.

The Canon R thread only had one very active user for quite awhile, take away Robin out of that thread and Canon R owners/users are quite sparse. Hopefully Nikon Z owners/users will post here, and maybe discuss things with non users/owners, and also with other owners to share tips, but please don't try to put those off that do post.

It has been made pretty clear (I think) in the first few posts the intent of this thread, and as with any thread, the OP would be able to clarify any questions about what it is supposed to be about. ;)

Or maybe they are just waiting for a Nikon Z6/Z7 owners thread ;)
If they, or you, want to start one, go ahead. :)

As for the name of this thread, the Sony alpha thread is called "the amazing sony a7 a9 anything else welcome mega thread", and the D500 thread is just called 'D500'. :thinking: I went with a more encompassing thread title than "Nikon Z6/Z7 Users Thread" because I didn't want a title that could be seen a exclusive. If users/owners, and almost everyone (interested in that camera(s)) starts posting mostly in the one thread about a camera(s) it will at some point become a 'sticky' as the owners thread for that camera, or range of cameras. whether it be this one or something else with regard to the Nikon Z cameras. :)

Just been to test out the Z6, mainly to see if my current crop lens line up (Tamron 18-200mm, Tokina 11-16mm, Nikon 35mm) would actually work with the adapter and I'm pleased to see that they do (although an obvious loss in resolution)!

The next problem is upgrading my lens line up to a FF line up although I am being swayed more by a Sony A7iii currently.

Last edited:
Just been to test out the Z6, mainly to see if my current crop lens line up (Tamron 18-200mm, Tokina 11-16mm, Nikon 35mm) would actually work with the adapter and I'm pleased to see that they do (although an obvious loss in resolution)!

The next problem is upgrading my lens line up to a FF line up although I am being swayed more by a Sony A7iii currently.
That's good to know. :) Are all of those lenses for a cropped sensor?

Otherwise what did you think of the camera?

That's good to know. :) Are all of those lenses for a cropped sensor?

Otherwise what did you think of the camera?

Yes they are, currently shooting on the D3300 so the guy in the shop said that using the lenses on the adapter the camera would crop them automatically so would only get around 13mp with them on. Camera was nice, they're heavier than I was expecting. Found that the autofocus was incredibly fast (from what I'm used to). My only problem now is choosing what to upgrade to really. I'd ideally like to go Sony judging from the reviews I've poured over for most recent mirrorless cameras however the lens line up for wide angle I have found limiting.

Back