Example shots from different films.

Mr Badger

Didymus
Edit My Images
No
I thought a thread showing photos taken with different types of film (which show the typical characteristics of that film) might be useful to newcomers to present day film photography, or F&C regulars who are looking for examples of a film they've not used before.

Such example shots should be of currently available film and be good, nicely exposed, sharp examples that clearly demonstrate the 'look' each film gives, and preferably taken in different lighting conditions.

To start things off here are some examples; feel free to add your own examples too, and hopefully this thread might grow into a useful reference library.

Kodak Ektar 100 35mm:

Fuji Superia 400 35mm

Last edited:
Good idea but I'm not much help as most of my VG (well to me) shots are on film you can't buy now:( also it has been shown that on the right subjects even cheap film (some you can still buy like Vista 200) can looks as good as expensive film which would confuse newbies.

Snip:
also it has been shown that on the right subjects even cheap film (some you can still buy like Vista 200) can looks as good as expensive film which would confuse newbies.

A good point, hence me saying that examples that show the 'typical' characteristics of the film, and preferably taken in different lighting conditions, should be posted here. The idea being to build as honest and informative a reference library as we reasonably can. (y)

Last edited:
I can share some of my Filmdev scans (I'm not sure I trust the colour accuracy of my home-scanned colour shots - which was my reason for going to Filmdev in the first place!). I usually tweak them a little (adding extra contrast as required etc.) but can post some of the original, unaltered scans if they'd be of use?

Yes, I don't see why you shouldn't leave them tweaked slightly if you want to, as long as the photos look typical of that particular film, then please feel free to add them; the more the merrier. :) I don't think we'll ever get perfect colour accuracy between us all anyway (bearing in mind the different lab scans and home scans, etc.), but the more comparisons we get, the more any 'general' characteristics of the film should become apparent.

Hopefully, the general 'feel' of the film (the grain structure, colour rendition, etc) will still be apparent through any minor tweaks that people may have done. Besides, such tweaks are probably what a lot of people would do in the real world, so it's how the film will probably look to many anyway. It's the general look of the film we're trying to show, so people have some idea of what to expect, or what's realistically possible, if they try some of that brand and type of film.

Don't forget to post some 'typical' examples of Black and White film too, everyone. Some examples of Cinestill and currently/regularly available Lomo stuff would be good too. (y)

Last edited:
This is really helpful for me - I know it's tricky because there are so many variables involved but it would give an idea as to what different films look like, colour and black and white.

Back