Examples of photo image quality affected by sensor size!

kennysarmy

Yeah but can your army do this?
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
I'm trying to explain to a friend who wants to buy a Bridge camera for a safari trip how a camera with a 1" sensor will get him better quality photos than one with a 1/2.3 "

Are there any sites (as I can't find one when I've quickly looked) that show the same image taken with varying cameras so he can see the type of difference a camera with a bigger sensor will make?

Cheers

I'm trying to explain to a friend who wants to buy a Bridge camera for a safari trip how a camera with a 1" sensor will get him better quality photos than one with a 1/2.3 "

Are there any sites (as I can't find one when I've quickly looked) that show the same image taken with varying cameras so he can see the type of difference a camera with a bigger sensor will make?

Cheers

DP review does very useful comparisons, where you can choose the camera and related images? I feel your pain - I had a tiny sensor bridge and have now moved to an all singling 1" sensor. Drastic difference!

Back in my schooldays a board rubber would be flying in my direction if I mixed fractions with decimal numbers. Numbers should either be expressed as a fraction or as a decimal.

I was also taught that imperial measurements should not be decimalised.

Maybe things have changed.

Last edited:
The best way to explain it is to let him buy the bridge camera, spend thousands on the safari then find his pictures won't print large at any viewable quality.

No need to say I told you so of course.

I had to talk a friend out of buying a bridge camera a few weeks ago.

The quality from some bridge cameras these days is actually pretty impressive. They've generally got plenty of megapixels for normal use, respectable focal-length range on the telephoto end and some have video features / frame rates / resolutions that much more expensive DSLRs don't have.

They tend to be limited on wide / ultra-wide angle and their ISO performance isn't as good as the larger sensors but presumably for a safari neither of those things will matter too much.

Where they won't be as good as a DSLR for safari is having the autofocus speed and shutter responsiveness to quickly focus, track a subject and fire off a bunch of accurate frames in a short space of time.

My biggest criticism of bridge cameras for someone wanting to get into photography is (and always will be) that you're paying for a camera that will be surpassed by something better in a couple of year's time. At that point, your camera (and the lens built into it) lose all their resale value and unless you stick with that camera until the end, you'll eventually put it in the bin and buy another one.

Using DSLRs can seem like a waste of money at the entry-level and it's not easy to convince someone that buying something higher-priced now will pay dividends for them in the long run. Of course, if you think they're just going to use the camera for this one holiday and forget about it, let them buy the bridge camera. Or better yet, a used DSLR from 3-4 years ago with good autofocus & FPS and a used, beaten-up Sigma 50-500.

pig.JPG

Thing is this was taken with a Sony H1 5mp bridge camera at 432mm in 2005. The A3+ print is so sharp it would cut you.

Make show to show him comparisons at ISO 800 and greater too, where bridge cameras completely fall apart.

I'm on the enjoying without faff mentality too. *If* the person isn't particularly bothered past taking holiday snaps though then them purchasing a larger sensor/bodied camera isn't going to be that beneficial for Facebook sized daylight lion shots. An SLR is a utter hassle comparitively. (argh which lens, what brand, who is manual? what does EFS mean? cropped? $$)

I have many times tried to validate the merits of my various cameras to my girlfriend. But the only thing thats ultimately noticed is the DoF ;-)

--To add, Those sites above look like great comparative sites when wanting to show the pixel differences between the sensors/cameras

If the guy is not a "photographer" in the sense that we are, I would have thought almost any reasonable quality camera, bridge or compact would be easier for him use, collects reasonable quality photo's, and above all is dead easy to use.

Even if he bought a decent DSLR with a couple of lenses, my money is on that he would set it to "Auto" and fire away anyway.

Just my Humble Opinion..............:):):)

Back