Excellent CHEAP 10-stop.

Is it only me who finds it difficult to screw on the filter once I have set focus, trying to not knock anything out? I am left handed which could account for this...

Is it only me who finds it difficult to screw on the filter once I have set focus, trying to not knock anything out? I am left handed which could account for this...

This is precisely why I switched to square filters.
Actually, my Nikon 16-35 is quite tough to knock out of focus - by contrast my Nikon 28-70 is quite the opposite.
Saying that I've had problems with light leaks on square filters although its fairly easy to overcome. The huge benefit for me by switching to the hitech system was the ease of shot composure and focusing.

Last edited:
Same focus with the filter attached, AF usually as well.

How can you focus with the filter in place? Surely you can't see through it! Perhaps you can and I can't

You need to focus first, then lock the focus before carefully attaching the filter. Lee square filters are definitely much easier. I'm a sucker for over tightening my cpl, does my head in.

How can you focus with the filter in place? Surely you can't see through it! Perhaps you can and I can't

I can see through with mine fitted.

No the camera does all the work, it just gains up to give me an image.

No the camera does all the work, it just gains up to give me an image.
Don't think you can do that on many (poss d750?) dslrs tho. Think you can with mirrorless, xt1 and a7 etc You have one of those?

Well I can't see a thing through mine:( is it because I don't like carrots? I too tend to over tighten the screw on filters and I never seem to have a rubber glove in my bag when I need it

Yes an A7R, it didnt cross my mind about DSLRs with the optical viewfinder.

I'm guessing the filter ring on your lens rotates when focussing, which makes it a bit of a pain.
Easiest way I found was to leave the lens on autofocus while fitting the filter then switch it to manual after. This should prevent the focus from changing while you screw it on.

I'm guessing the filter ring on your lens rotates when focussing, which makes it a bit of a pain.
Easiest way I found was to leave the lens on autofocus while fitting the filter then switch it to manual after. This should prevent the focus from changing while you screw it on.

Yes you're right;) Will give your suggestion a go when I next use it. Thank you

Back