Excellent Landscape Techniques & Tips

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
Firstly, sorry if this has been placed in the wrong forum. However, it seemed fit in with other article here within.

Take a look at Dave's articles and downloadable PDF documents, some really useful tips for landscape photography.

Enjoy...

I got bored with the poor style of it after a short while. It came across to me as one of those clickbait e-book type things designed to get the reader to pay for something else that was just basic common sense or plain useless. Sorry, not impressed.

I've come across him before, and not impressed.
However, I think I would say the same for 99.999 of all online or ebook guides I have seen.
I have quite a number of proper books (before self publishing and short run printing became a norm) and find much more inspiration from them.

For people staring off and looking for quick guides I suggest photzy.com or shotkit.com to them
Both of these try and sell you a lot, but there are a lot of useful guides if you dig through all the junk. There was another site as well, but I can't remember it

Last edited:
It seems very much orientated towards the commercial aspect to me. It's about money, and getting a killer shot. Leaves me cold really.

Did sound a bit like a time-share salesman, especially once I came across this...
90% of the landscape photography tips taught online will not actually improve your skills.
  • They are created by brands incentivized to mass produce content for traffic, instead of teach skills that work.
  • Most of them haven’t been optimized & battle-tested in the field either.
...which seemed a little bit "pots and kettles" to me.

Firstly, sorry if this has been placed in the wrong forum. However, it seemed fit in with other article here within.

Take a look at Dave's articles and downloadable PDF documents, some really useful tips for landscape photography.

Enjoy...

Sorry to disagree but this is clickbait, Total rubbish.

I have my own "tricks" for landscape photography. Many will disagree no doubt, but if I am happy with them that is all that matters. If others like them treat it as a bonus. Learning what is right and wrong takes time, and it is only the errors that show up the mistakes may hopefully not to be repeated. Landscape photography can mean far distant or relatively near by and each has its own way to deal with it. Even the same photo at a different time of day can look completely different depending on the light at the time.

Last edited:
My main rule for the little I do is to keep the verticals vertical.
Too many "wonky pubs" around
Plus the normal composition guides, make a huge difference, except where the scene warrants an exception

Crop sensors don’t work well for landscape photography and destroy image quality.
I'm sure he knows better than the rest of us because: "It took me 3 years from first picking up a camera to doing landscape photography full-time."

This is a picture of the Brunschkopf taken from Krinz bei Seefeld.

I used a Panasonic TZ-40 and because that camera has a tiny sensor, much smaller than a "crop sensor", this has no image quality to speak of and therefor doesn't work well.

:tumbleweed:

Brunschkopf from Krinz bei Seefeld TZ-40 P1020419.JPG

IU have a hard time following articles dealing with all the in's and out's, mostly I think because I simply don't understand the language! But something I got from here, or so it seems, is the most important part of landscape photography seems to me to be post prep! Seems that the place everyone goes to get just the right finished product! I do do a little of it but am actually pretty clueless to what I'm doing. Use a free on line deal. Have a couple photo prep deals. Photo explosion which I was getting some of till the computer crashed and it doesn't load into this one. Also have the pro photo, ah, Photoshop. had a nephew and a cousin try to teach me it but all it did was confuse me. But I am a lucky one. made enough money working for a living my social security is well over max and really don't need the extra income so simply strive to make me happy! Seems to me that no matter how good a photo might be, the guy that took it feels he can make it better with photoshop. Probably true but seems it's no longer what you actually saw.

Part about the video I can relate to is choosing the right light. Discovered that years ago on a photo that was published in Shutterbugs talking pictures photo of an old ranch house that I took two shots of. Used a Yashica 635 camera off a tripod and took two shots. When I got them back I looked at the first and no sun hitting it but still pretty good. Then while I was winding the film the sun came out of the clouds and hit the house and the whole picture took on a new look, much better. I try to remember that today but afraid I don't watch it close enough. The author suggested not taking 99% of the shot we take and I can relate to that but, it may be the only shot I get and I can look at it and get rid of it right away if it doesn't do anything for me. I do take to many shots looking for the right one, kind of like chasing my own tail! I think it might be easier to understand if he told those of us who need it to learn to see what your shooting! I also think that the thing that needs improvement in the video is learning to talk not in the advanced photo stage he does but so lesser people that need it can better understand it. That is a problem I have with a lot of things I read on the forums I'm on. Simply cannot understand what is being said. can't for the live of me figure out what AI is? I see this same thing on gun forums where guys use cute words to describe something. Cute to them but completely loses the new guy! Then again a lot of the things being talked about seem to be being talked about in the correct technical terms but lot of new guys don't understand the terms. End result is the new guy gets lost till he can find out what is said. Quite a bit of that in the article also.

I admit I actually read most of it as it does interest me. But I have a unique way of getting lost now and then! I was in some beautiful country yesterday on an old abandoned train trach. But couldn't figure out how to shoot it! I love the out of doors but really seldom figure out good landscapes. Don't know how to stich photo's either so I simply get the original photo on the screen then simply crop out what I don't want. I normally get my main subject in the center of the screen the later crop the picture I want. I wonder if a really good photographer could simply arrange the photo in the view screen and somehow get the lighting just right?

I simply remember what I read in a free book from Amazon.

Always use a long shutter speed otherwise the light from the distant areas will not have time to reach the sensor and therefore will be out of focus.

I simply remember what I read in a free book from Amazon.

Always use a long shutter speed otherwise the light from the distant areas will not have time to reach the sensor and therefore will be out of focus.
You have just given away the secret :)

Back