Excess digital noise on pics.

Edit My Images
No
I am posting this on behalf of an acquaintance. All his images are very, very noisy (Camera Canon 80D), I went through all the usual things with him (High ISO, underexposing and 'pushing in processing, heavy cropping...) But one shot I saw on the web was at ISO 200, no post processing (he shoots in jpeg) and very little cropping but still extremely noisy. Can you think of anything else that may be causing the problem ? he is starting to think there is something wrong with his Camera, could it be some in camera setting that he has screwed up? or can a duff sensor cause anything like it?
p.s he says its the same with all his lenses!

Last edited:
Expose correctly and try shooting in RAW.

eh? he will see MORE noise in RAW .. Yes he can work on it better but thats not the question.. the question is why is he seeing so much

as to the OP ... complete waste of time asking without picture and full exif... everyones just going to guess and all different guesses.. show us :)

You obviously have not even bothered to read my post as you answer is completely irrelevant to the question I asked.

I read it, you tried everything and shoots in jpeg.

Now try exposing it correctly, go take a Sunny 16 photo.

How are you viewing the photos, could they be getting degraded by whatever platform he is using.

Sent my daughter and wife a photo the other week via Yahoo mail, it looked terrible when they downloaded it.

To rule out settings problems he could always reset the camera to factory default

Last edited:
How are you viewing the photos, could they be getting degraded by whatever platform he is using.

Sent my daughter and wife a photo the other week via Yahoo mail, it looked terrible when they downloaded it.

To rule out settings problems he could always reset the camera to factory default
I think the reset to factory defaults is going to be the best advice I can give him - thanks

I will treat you responses where they belong - in the dust bin. I guess there is always one like you on all forums.
BTW I do know all about Sunny 16 but it is not me who is doing the shooting.

Good that you know about Sunny 16? It's like knowing how to tell time? It wasn't meant as a test to test your photographic knowledge! You won't believe some of the photos people ask when they said "my photos are blurry" and some of the most basic mistakes they are making, yet not knowing and not know how to tell you. Without any photos we are only to take your word on it, and you are not even the one really asking. He should be posting on here so we can get direct answers.

Last edited:
Not sure about the 80D but:-

Check picture style in use and select I think it is called Neutral

Now relying on memory so forgive poor description:-
Disable high recovery optimization
There is a corresponding setting that I cannot recall the name but think it is in the same menu list, that needs disabling.

I think those latter two are disabled but doing a factory reset but not the picture style choice???

HTH

Edit~ slow in posting.......so yes factory reset plus as I said looking at the Picture Style choice and it's settings. Basically IMO when shooting jpeg you need to be sure that any user setting choices you make produce images you are happy with!

Last edited:
Can you post or link an unedited image? We cant see whats happening, and depending on how he's editing we cant tell if thats a factor, I've not used an 80d but the pics off a 750 which I suspect uses the same sensor are very good noise wise.

having had two 80d's roy I can state categorically that it shouldn't produce noisy images especially at low iso values ,it will knock spots off the 7d2 for that as well ,I was getting reasonably clean images at 6400iso as well .so its either a user (settings) error or a faulty camera the only other possibility being trying to take photos in really poor light which has been in abundance this year

Blimey there’s some ‘helpful advice’ coming Roy! I suspect unless he’s got exposure compensation set the only way for it to be exposure would be an inaccurate meter? Presumably the photos you’ve seen aren’t that bad or you would have spotted it, especially if he doesn’t pp them. I’d go with a reset followed by a technician check if it’s no better.

Assuming this was in good light then do a factory reset, if it's still noisy send the camera back for repair.

Back