Exif - yes or no?

Do you show exif on your digital images?

• Yes

Votes: 37 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Unless through error, I always include the exif in my photos ... anyone can see what equipment was used, how that equipment was used (within the constraints available) and when the photo was taken. I have noticed that a few people withhold this information, which does limit what the photo conveys to anyone looking, so I wonder why ... do you show exif or not and why do you make your choice?

Also - similar poll from 3 years ago https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/do-you-display-your-exif-data-when-sharing-photos.518457/

Small amount of people going to the lengths of removing it. My guesses would be to remove client info, or GPS data ("here's my antique diamond ring, look where it was taken"), or personal keywords. It may be easier to strip everything from all photos with one export preset (assuming LR use) than to faff about trying to manage it. I guess there are nefarious reasons too. Most people don't seem to bother though.

I use Kuso exif viewer if I want to find out what and how camera and lenses were used and the settings by others. Gives a better idea of where I am going wrong

The exif data is less use than many people think, and under some circumstances the recorded exif isn't even true and is in any case such a limited/bounded subset of the full data to be potentially misleading considered in isolation.

I voted Yes, although it might get stripped along the way. Where I think it might be useful, I add it to the relevant post manually. Most of the time it's fairly irrelevant IMO but I don't strip it out deliberately - waste of time and effort!

I show it unless it is stripped out by saving for the web. On stitched pans it is never saved with the file whatever you do.
however I never look at my own exif data unless I have a problem, in which case it can help to show where I have gone wrong.

How? What does EXIF data have to do with what the photo conveys?

Camera used.
Lens used.
ISO.
Shutter speed.
Aperture.

All of which help to 'see' a photo and understand some of the circumstances that produced it.

So we can't ask a question because it's been asked sometime previously in some form?

to remove client info, or GPS data ("here's my antique diamond ring, look where it was taken"), or personal keywords.
Completely understandable for those reasons.

I leave it in. For the sort of images I take, there's nothing to learn from it that I wouldn't be happy with people knowing. I can understand about GPS data etc. My camera doesn't have GPS so it isn't a problem. If it did I might rethink, but it would depend on the image. One taken in my garden, for example, I'd be looking to remove anything that might identify the location.

Sorry, still not seeing it. I think it a sad state of affairs where EXIF data is need to help 'see' a photo.

Okay maybe I'm not explaining myself very well!
My main genre of photography is wildlife, particularly birds ... camera settings/equipment can have a large effect on resulting colour or things like 'is it missed focus or slow shutter speed affecting the resulting image' etc.
Maybe other genres don't have this issue and the thread would be better moved to Talk Nature.

Okay maybe I'm not explaining myself very well!
My main genre of photography is wildlife, particularly birds ... camera settings/equipment can have a large effect on resulting colour or things like 'is it missed focus or slow shutter speed affecting the resulting image' etc.
Maybe other genres don't have this issue and the thread would be better moved to Talk Nature.

I'm not saying EXIF doesn't have its uses but how does it help others see what a photo conveys? Yes, it helps to have it there if someone is asking for help where there are issues with a photo, is that what you mean?

Sorry, still not seeing it. I think it a sad state of affairs where EXIF data is need to help 'see' a photo.
If it contains no data which could compromise your health or safety of you or your belongings (home location for example), and some people find it useful, then I can't see what the problem is in leaving it in. :thinking: When I'm looking at pictures online I sometimes like to see the camera settings to try and understand why certain images look like they do. It doesn't mean I can't 'see' the image, but it may add to my knowledge. :)

If you're a person who wants to strip the info out, then do it. :rolleyes:

Camera height
Focus distance
Time

Are all as important (or more so) as focal length shutter speed and aperture.

I genuinely don't believe that I can learn anything meaningful from reading exif. I don't think it's totally useless though because I have used it to search Flickr for a lens or ISO/camera combi.

I don't see the point in removing it on purpose, but I do believe that those people who think settings are that important are missing the point often.

It's very useful to know if you're looking to give advice or critique, as it can help the OP with any technical issues at time of shooting, for instance if I see someone struggling to get a high enough shutter speed but using ISO 200 then it makes sussing out why there is motion blur a lot easier.

It's pretty pointless if you want to look and see what a particular lens or body is capable of as there are way too many variables regarding the shooters ability both at the time of shooting and at the PP stage

If it contains no data which could compromise your health or safety of you or your belongings (home location for example), and some people find it useful, then I can't see what the problem is in leaving it in. :thinking: When I'm looking at pictures online I sometimes like to see the camera settings to try and understand why certain images look like they do. It doesn't mean I can't 'see' the image, but it may add to my knowledge. :)

If you're a person who wants to strip the info out, then do it. :rolleyes:

Did I say there was a problem with leaving it in? Did I say that I strip it out?

I never intentionally strip exif from my photos however some processing software I use will strip it, I find basic exif to be very important if someone is asking me how to improve their night time photography as it allow me to see if there are any settings they are using that are hindering their ability to do what they're aiming for

How did we ever manage when we used film ?
Simple answer is we asked questions (y)
Mine gets stripped out when I save for web, only ever put small files
on the internet and even those have been "used" by others without asking first

Looking at a certain photographer's exif data stopped me thinking that using auto everything is to be avoided. :D

So we can't ask a question because it's been asked sometime previously in some form?
No..but reading some of the previous threads would have lead to the conclusion that Yes and No don't fit all the likely answers. At the very least Sometimes is needed as a choice.

Mostly I leave the exif in, sometimes it's stripped by the processing, frequently the processing retains exif data even though it's no longer relevant and misleading without further data (exif can lie, it shouldn't be trusted), sometimes I deliberately strip the exif because I don't want it to be the focus of someones interpretation. Sometimes.

The odd thing is that people often claim how useful it can be, but when pushed for actual usefulness the only reason is 'when someone is making mistakes and they need help, getting the EXIF is often really useful'!

So in reality - my EXIF is of no use for learning how to recreate my shots, but if I need help with my mistakes, there will be clues in the EXIF.

Which says it all about the 'technical' side of photography. It's crucially important right up to the point you become 'competent' and then it's no use whatsoever - it's a starting point not a goal.

I genuinely don't believe that I can learn anything meaningful from reading exif....

You won't learn anything because you are experienced and good at what you do, but for some of us wondering what settings we would use in a given situation it's useful. Sometimes I've taken some pictures (mostly street photography as its usually harder to plan a shot and take time to think about it)and not got it how I wanted, but seen some from other stuff of a similar situation and seen from their data how we differed. Not that I got it wrong as such, but their results looked more how I wanted.

It also makes me search out why I didn't get the same result. For example I kept wondering why when I had got the exposure right the so the sky wasn't blown the scene would be dark yet others didn't have the issue. At first I thought it was all done in Lightroom but quickly realised I needed to invest in some filters - so I have.

Settings don't tel us everything but they give a clue to those idiots amongst us who don't know what they are doing. If the rest of you would keep on giving us the data we would be most grateful! :D

...Which says it all about the 'technical' side of photography. It's crucially important right up to the point you become 'competent' and then it's no use whatsoever - it's a starting point not a goal.

Beat me to it. Incompetent was probably the word I was looking for!

Did I say there was a problem with leaving it in? Did I say that I strip it out?
My first paragraph was an answer to your sentence that I quoted, and the last line was a general statement from me to anybody reading. Sorry you thought it was all aimed at you.

And even if you believed it was all aimed at you, I think I said 'if' you were a person who stripped the data out, then do what you want. If you're not, then ignore it. :)

Sorry for any confusion.

but seen some from other stuff of a similar situation and seen from their data how we differed

The trouble with going down that line is you've no real idea what the weather is like, the 'quality' of the light or a million and one other variables that mean EXIF, on its own is of very limited value.

I always make an effort to include EXIF information when sharing any imagery, whether it's a photo or video, as I feel it's a means of education for those looking to learn. If I see an image I like, I immediately want to know how it was captured and EXIF information certainly helps with this :)

The trouble with going down that line is you've no real idea what the weather is like, the 'quality' of the light or a million and one other variables that mean EXIF, on its own is of very limited value.

I understand that, but that limited value is another little bit of information. You guys have been doing it for a long time and it comes naturally, the rest of us want to learn as much as possible so any information is information. It doesn't mean I can suddenly take a picture even half as good, but if I don't know why my image looked so different it has sometimes helped.

For example there was a question (I bet it should been asked many times over) about taking pictures of fireworks. Obviously you need to realise a tripod is important, but the basic details of the shot are not immediately obvious to everyone - if they were people wouldn't keep asking.

The most useful information is when people describe the shot and situation, with the exif data that's a lot more help of course.

I Leave mine on so if its helpful it can be seen by whoever wants to look at it
I do look at others when I see a nice photograph to see if I can Increase my knowledge

I used to post on a ffrench orum and to upload picture the limit was 800 pixel and 120Mo. At the time we all used to strip the exif to save that bit of space and give more Mo for the picture quality. But i don't think this is much of a problem nowadays...

It's certainly useful to see Exif details if you're wanting to work out how a shot was taken, sure it doesn't give you everything like lighting, weather, height, angle, etc. But it's part of the picture.
If I'm trying a new technique, or I see a different style that I like, I do like to be able to work out how to create it myself. There are a few photographers I follow on Flickr who include more that just Exif, they'll give you a lighting diagram and full write up for the shoot. There's even one or two film photographers who will tell you the camera, lens, f-stop, film stock and how they processed the film (take a look at Matt Osborne for one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/32681588@N03/)

As said, a photograph is created by more that just a bunch of settings, so what's the harm in letting others see that little bit of detail?

For the record, pretty much all my photos on Flickr (bar a few panoramas) have Exif displayed.

If you're using a stolen camera and/or lens, it's a very good idea to remove the make, model and especially serial numbers from the EXIF.

I like to view the exif,sometimes its a pleasant surprise to see some one turning out cracking results with cheaper gear,i leave mine in hoping people can learn what not to do :eek:

I never strip the EXIF, but I have no idea if it is lost in the processing, resizing and uploading or not. Whether it's there or not, I really don't care. If someone is interested enough, they can ask whatever they want and I'm sure I will tell them the answer.

I never look at others EXIF data and probably wouldn't know how to, but as a wildlife photographer, I can totally understand why Roger has asked the question.

Camera height
Focus distance
Time

Are all as important (or more so) as focal length shutter speed and aperture.

I genuinely don't believe that I can learn anything meaningful from reading exif. I don't think it's totally useless though because I have used it to search Flickr for a lens or ISO/camera combi.

I don't see the point in removing it on purpose, but I do believe that those people who think settings are that important are missing the point often.

In a bored moment, I once put the same image set into an online competition twice, one with exif saying 1100d, one 5dmk2.

My wholly unscientific survey suggests exif is useful for making people perceive quality is higher if an image comes from an expensive camera.

Back