Exmoor

Name
Sue
Edit My Images
Yes
I just had a week in Somerset and loved taking pictures on Exmoor. I dont know if these worked though. The first day I went the sky was just pale grey and didnt do anything for the pictures so in a couple I have tried to photoshop them to make the skies look better. Comments and criticism welcomed.

This day was sunny

2. And this one wasnt bad

But these 2 were taken on the grey day so I have tried to photoshop them

This one was cloudy

Thanks for looking
Sue

May I ask what you did in ps I think no 4 would look great b+w

Sue, all but 4 look a bit 'stodgy' on my screen, as if there is some lack of sharpness - apertures maybe. #3 seems to have developed some very clear artefacting in the sky too. I don't care for the composition in the horse one (2), but the others all have potential. As somebody mentioned, mono might be good too.

Why do you not like grey skies - they can be very atmospheric. I find that they are interesting to actually build up using a 0.6 or 0.9 ND Grad.

Sue, all but 4 look a bit 'stodgy' on my screen, as if there is some lack of sharpness - apertures maybe. #3 seems to have developed some very clear artefacting in the sky too. I don't care for the composition in the horse one (2), but the others all have potential. As somebody mentioned, mono might be good too.

Why do you not like grey skies - they can be very atmospheric. I find that they are interesting to actually build up using a 0.6 or 0.9 ND Grad.

I dont like plain flat grey skies because I dont know how to make them look interesting. I am fairly new to photography and dont have any filters yet so I dont think I can do the Grad thing you suggested. Number 3's sky was flat grey and so I used the burn tool to try to make it look darker and more atmospheric but I agree it looks strange. Thank you for the tips. I have posted number 4 in Black and white . I do like it better.
Sue

I've had a play around with no 4 hope you don't mind

as always I've overdone it lol

I like #4 Sue, definately the best of the bunch. I do like the edit just posted above (the colour one) really brings out the atmosphere well.

#1 - The sky is blown on the left hand side and to be honest I'm not sure that there's really a picture there. It's not interesting to my eye.

#2 - The composition is better with this one with the horse to the right. I do keep looking at that fence though and think that more could have been made of that as a leading line into the pic. Not sure what's in the bottom right corner?

#3 - Nice idea, the tree is really interesting and the sheep add to it. But it looks a bit soft and out of focius.

#4 - I like that, definately pic of the bunch for me.

#5 - A bit on the dark side and again lacking in sharpness.

I hope that helps Sue, and has not come across as negative. I know that you do experience some difficulties with mobility, but I guess leads to needing careful thought and consideration. I definately think that you are thinking about composition and it is clearly paying off - Well done (y)

I like #4 Sue, definately the best of the bunch. I do like the edit just posted above (the colour one) really brings out the atmosphere well.

#1 - The sky is blown on the left hand side and to be honest I'm not sure that there's really a picture there. It's not interesting to my eye.

#2 - The composition is better with this one with the horse to the right. I do keep looking at that fence though and think that more could have been made of that as a leading line into the pic. Not sure what's in the bottom right corner?

#3 - Nice idea, the tree is really interesting and the sheep add to it. But it looks a bit soft and out of focius.

#4 - I like that, definately pic of the bunch for me.

#5 - A bit on the dark side and again lacking in sharpness.

I hope that helps Sue, and has not come across as negative. I know that you do experience some difficulties with mobility, but I guess leads to needing careful thought and consideration. I definately think that you are thinking about composition and it is clearly paying off - Well done (y)

Thank you Sara
Its always good to get your feedback. It has helped me so much. I'm not sure how I can get them sharper but I will see what I can do with photoshop for the sheep picture. I used a monopod most of the time on holiday so I didnt get the hand shake that has hampered me in the past. I got a few other pics that I liked so will post them in the appropriate forums.
Sue

I just looked at your exif data on #3. Picked that one at random. I've got a couple of observations from that.

You used 800 ISO - I think this had led to a fair bit of noise in the sky, so wonder why you have not gone for a lower ISO.

Looking at your shutter speed on this shot, it is 1/2000 second - Insanly high speed for this type of pic at 55mm. You could have lowered this speed and this would have meant you could lower the ISO.

Lastly, you've shot at F5.6. For lanscapes pics such as these I would be using F11 as a minimum. That will give you a karger DOF and get you more in focus.

I'm not expert in any way, but that's just a couple of observations. What mode do you use on your camera to take pics?

If you are unsure of the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed, the book 'Understanding exposure' is really good.

I just looked at your exif data on #3. Picked that one at random. I've got a couple of observations from that.

You used 800 ISO - I think this had led to a fair bit of noise in the sky, so wonder why you have not gone for a lower ISO.

Looking at your shutter speed on this shot, it is 1/2000 second - Insanly high speed for this type of pic at 55mm. You could have lowered this speed and this would have meant you could lower the ISO.

Lastly, you've shot at F5.6. For lanscapes pics such as these I would be using F11 as a minimum. That will give you a karger DOF and get you more in focus.

I'm not expert in any way, but that's just a couple of observations. What mode do you use on your camera to take pics?

If you are unsure of the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed, the book 'Understanding exposure' is really good.

Mmmm. Well I cant plead ignorance on this one as I had an SLR in the old days. I had set the high ISO cause the light was bad but goodness knows how I managed to get such a high shutter speed and low aperture. I must be more careful..:bang: Thanks for pointing it out. Oh and I use either S or A usually.

Last edited:
Back