"Experimental" films

Name
Gillian
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone shot much with films that have a colour shift etc with them - like Lomochrome, Dubblefilm or Volvox? How did you find them? I'm looking for something to give me that vintage mid-century saturated pastel look that I've not been able to edit onto my digital shots.

I've shot Lomochrome Purple and didn't like it. I think I shot mine at 400 and I read that you get a different effect shooting it at 100 or 200. The problems I had were compounded by the fact that scan software was continually trying to "correct" the purple colour shifts which was less than helpful and made the whole thing a headache. I don't know how labs handle colour shifted films either (whether all films are auto-scanned, or it's done by hand) which might be another thing to consider.

I've just received my Metropolis but there's no colour out there at the moment - just grey and mud, so that is not likely to see any use until I do something interesting. So that's no help...

You could try redscale, which is ordinary colour film wound the wrong way, so shot through the orange mask. The lomography one is rated 50-200 ISO. I can't quit remember which way, but I think if you shoot at 200 (lower exposure) you get a redder effect, while if you shoot at 50 you get a mix of the red/orange with the more natural colours, eg strong greens will work. However, I've only shot 2 films so no expert. If I've got that wrong, someone will be along to correct me, no doubt.

You can also get some interesting results by shooting slide (reversal) film and getting it processed in C41 chemicals (Filmdev doesn't charge extra for this, though some labs might).

Back