Expired Film Day 2019 - 15-17 March

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Expired Film Day is back again, and this time you have three days to get shooting (not that I think anyone would’ve known you didn’t shoot on just the specified single day previously). No prizes anymore, it’s just for the fun of it.

I’ve still got a few rolls of well past it’s sell by date stuff, so will give one of those a whirl I think.

More info here for anyone who might be interested.

http://expiredfilmday.com/efd-2019-rules-and-guidelines/

apart from a few recent purchases, all the film I shoot is expired. :thinking:

Pretty much a ditto here.

How's about we have our very own " Fresh film day"...………………… Will there be any entrants?!! :thinking::LOL:

But, but, but ........... apart from a few recent purchases, all the film I shoot is expired. :thinking:

It’ll all count then, although I think the contest tends to be about using some really outdated stuff, or rolls that have unknown provenance and so might be subject to colour shifts or interesting damage in the resulting images rather than expired film that has been properly stored in a fridge or freezer.

Last time I entered I shot a roll from the 1990s that I found at a boot sale. I overexposed it by a couple of stops but it just looked like a fresh roll more or less anyway. LOL.

Last edited:
But, but, but ........... apart from a few recent purchases, all the film I shoot is expired. :thinking:

Ditto! Perhaps, much like Record Store Day encourages purchases of new records, we need a Fresh Film Day to encourage purchase and shooting of fresh film :thinking:

So shoot "day" starts tomorrow, lasts until Sunday. Annoyingly, I am not in the same place as my expired film :(

I was quite chuffed that the official twitter account used my pic from two years ago in their promotion. This one:

R5-05019-003A by Chris R, on Flickr

Kodacolor 200 expired 2007 shot at 100, Pentax MX with Pentax-M 100mm f/4 on monopod.

Oddly, I recently bought a block of in-date Kodacolor 200, and didn't much like it... but I did like that shot!

Blimey David @dmb that's amazing! What EI are you planning to shoot it at? The 1 stop per decade rule implies somewhere around EI 3, AFAICS.

Blimey David @dmb that's amazing! What EI are you planning to shoot it at? The 1 stop per decade rule implies somewhere around EI 3, AFAICS.
I set my exposure meter to ISO 6 when I shot some last year after doing test shots at 3, 6 and 12. Lots of fog and patterns from old fungal growth.

Wall to wall grey sky as the sleet falls, and that's going to be all day. There may be a hint of a break later on Sunday, and unsurprisingly Monday is looking pretty good as a photography day. Ah, well .......... :rolleyes:

Wall to wall grey sky as the sleet falls, and that's going to be all day. There may be a hint of a break later on Sunday, and unsurprisingly Monday is looking pretty good as a photography day. Ah, well .......... :rolleyes:
Couple that with EI 6 film and EV 6 or 7 light - hand-holding camera steady against the wind gusts - Fun, fun, fun.

Well there are pictures on the film. You need a high power light to see them. That will teach me to read my notes, I forgot that last time I used half the original 1950's dev time so could get solvent effect of stock ID11 and pull out before background fog got out of control. Think I could print these on grade 5 optically with long exposure but the scanner struggled. Had to resort to multiexposure and repeat scans.

Lots of fungus marks on these, I did wonder if it might get clearer as I moved further into the 100ft reel - does not look like it.

Using my late Father's Exakta did not help as this film stock is extra thick and it struggled to wind on and rewind so lots of tramlines too. I suppose it adds to the character :film:.

superxx.jpg

I got nothing as we're still away. :( Think I might join in Jason Avery's #CameraChallenge on Twitter, also shooting expired film, and give some of that Reala a go! View: https://BANNED/_JasonAvery/status/1107543696621424640

Well there are pictures on the film. You need a high power light to see them. That will teach me to read my notes, I forgot that last time I used half the original 1950's dev time so could get solvent effect of stock ID11 and pull out before background fog got out of control. Think I could print these on grade 5 optically with long exposure but the scanner struggled. Had to resort to multiexposure and repeat scans.

Lots of fungus marks on these, I did wonder if it might get clearer as I moved further into the 100ft reel - does not look like it.

Using my late Father's Exakta did not help as this film stock is extra thick and it struggled to wind on and rewind so lots of tramlines too. I suppose it adds to the character :film:.

View attachment 239946
The shadow one looks pretty reasonable, and it means you at least had a bit of sun!

View attachment 239946

I like the daffodil shot. I think it has character and I'd definitely enter that one.

@dmb I really like the building one, with the very definite fungal effect. It looks like on of thise distressed images where folk beat up their film after shooting it!

The shadow one looks pretty reasonable, and it means you at least had a bit of sun!
I like the daffodil shot. I think it has character and I'd definitely enter that one.
@dmb I really like the building one, with the very definite fungal effect. It looks like on of thise distressed images where folk beat up their film after shooting it!
I like the daffodil image as well @dmb, lots of interesting textures on the film and an interesting image too
Thanks for the comments - worked on the scanning a bit more - I think the best will only come out on optical enlargement. Posted better scans on Flickr and linked from the Show us your Film Shots then thread.

I got my results back today and...

... apart for a bit of extra noise and a slight pink cast, the photos are not bad at all. There are a bunch on the roll that I like, which isn't bad considering it was an impromptu walk in the rain around some areas on the edge of the city centre.

Anyway, here are three that I've uploaded to Flickr so far.

Nikon F80
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-D
Klick XD200 (expired 2001)

FILM - Work Continues
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Vacant

FILM - Park Hill

Well I wimped out due to the rubbish weather, but I went out yesterday instead and ran a roll of 2002 Delta 3200 through the Yashicamat. I metered it at 1250 and used the 1600 dev time in Xtol from the Massive Dev Chart. I don't know how curly it normally is, but I guess that being spooled for the best part of 20 years isn't going to help. :rolleyes: I think I can best describe the results as a bit iffy, but here are the best of them from Findhorn.

2019-03-20-0008-copy-tp.jpg

2019-03-20-0011-copy-tp.jpg

2019-03-20-0007-copy-tp.jpg

Excellent result, David!

Back