Beginner Exposure bracketing question?

Name
adam
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks

On my canon 450d is it possible to tell the camera to take 5, maybe even 7 bracketed photos instead of the standard 3?

It doesn't look like it will, and there's unfortunately no custom firmware for the 450d.

How far apart do you need it?

I'd shoot 3 in RAW a long way apart, then create intermediate files from there.

Hello Phil.

I was just looking at doing 5x1 stop pics to do some HDR, maybe even 7 at half stops. On playing about with Photomatic it seems you can get more creative using more shots.

I'm a beginner with the dslr, although i have done a foundation course. I'm trying to teach myself all the more difficult aspects

I'd Take the 3 shots at -1, 0,+1 stop.
Or as Phil says, you could go -2, 0, +2 and use those to create -2, -1, 0, +1, +2

So would that mean just adjusting exposure levels in for eg Lightroom etc then saving it. Can i save an edited RAW file to RAW format or will it have to be jpeg etc

Get a wired, programmable remote and use that to adjust the shutter speed of the exposure to take your own sequence of shots. I've done sequences of over a dozen shots at one stop intervals that way.

You should also stop thinking in terms of "bracketing" for HDR, there is no middle exposure. You need a sequence from "no blown highlights" to "no blocked shadows". And go careful with Photomatrix, it can be a bit crude and it's very easy to overcook the result.

If the camera won't do it then you can, by shooting in full manual mode with the ISO fixed to whatever you need. Use a good, sturdy, tripod and the camera's self timer (if you haven't got a cable release) to take the shots, just altering the shutter speed the necessary amount before each shot. Job done.

Personally for HDR I use EasyHDR Pro which I find excellent and reasonably priced and since I'm a real tight a**e when it comes to buying software it has to be both good and value for money!

Back