External drive permissions

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I recently reformatted my Mac, and now I have an issue where I can no longer write to one of my external hard drives. I only noticed to when trying to create a file in the drive, there was no option to create new folder on right click. I have looked t permissions and even though it says my name as administrator and privilege is set as read & write above it says You can only read.

This drive is identical to my other one (Except that's empty, I deleted all my old tie machine back ups to free up the drive) and that one is fine.

As I took a screenshot of the drive, I'v noticed it formatted for Windows NTFS, but the other one that's working correctly is formatted for Mac OS Extended? I've no idea how I've changed the format, bit I obviously have. Any ideas on how I can get it back to Mac OS other than formatting the drive?

That’s what I don’t understand. I’ve used this drive since 2018 on the Mac. I’ve never used it for anything windows based. All the files on it have been created on the Mac. It’s weird how it can reformat to windows without losing any of the contents?

That’s what I don’t understand. I’ve used this drive since 2018 on the Mac. I’ve never used it for anything windows based. All the files on it have been created on the Mac. It’s weird how it can reformat to windows without losing any of the contents?
I recently had an issue where after OS upgrade to Catalina it moved my Lightroom Catalogue folder to a security folder. I had to search for it via finder and had an explanation document left in the folder by apple.

Last edited:
I recently had an issue where after OS upgrade to Catalina it moved my Lightroom Catalogue folder to a security folder. I had to search for it via finder and had an explanation document left in the folder by apple.

Only Apple! :D

No. You're going to have to reformat it.

There are some tools that claim you can do this without losing data but safest is to make your own backup and then reformat.
Did exactly that. What a faff! Not idea how it happened, but all back to normal now

Back