External Hard Drive

STARRIDER

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I am about to purchase a new 1tb external hard drive..would like some suggestions..recommendations on what you guys think and are using..
I got me eye on a Seagate,in the past i have been using Western Digital,had no problems with that ..except its almost full and needs replacing..
Your thoughts please..
Thanks for your time..;)

pc world are doinga 1TB drive for £65 at the moments also

am tempted but have resisted so far

I've had Samsung and Hitachi's fail, but as with anything mechanical im sure their all pretty unreliable. My last Samsung before this one failed was used for over seven years before it was retired for lack of storage capacity.
I seem to have luck with Western Digital though, my internals have been going strong for a year and a half now, and ive just added another. My external western digital is about 2 and a half years old and still fine.

touch wood my WD is doing fine so far.
But i know a few people that have brought Seagate and they have terrible time with them, not so much disk failure but intermittant recognition problems (having to cycle the power on the drives several times to get them to be recognised

There's been loads of these threads...

Is it to stay at home as a back up, or out in the field? Do you mind having to plug it in to external power? Do you want it as a network drive? Have you already got the enclosure, or are you looking for the full thing?

generally if you look hard enough youll find horror stories on every drive out there. hard drives fail, theyre mechanical so they will sooner or later.

personally ive got seagate external drives and samsung internal drives, both are working fine for me so far (touch wood).

but whatever you do, avoid maxtor.

generally if you look hard enough youll find horror stories on every drive out there. hard drives fail, theyre mechanical so they will sooner or later.

personally ive got seagate external drives and samsung internal drives, both are working fine for me so far (touch wood).

but whatever you do, avoid maxtor.
Thanks Neil..

At the moment I have a 512gb Buffalo external hard drive and have had no problems with at all. As it's filling up fast I'm shortly going to purchase a 1tb Buffalo external hd.

At the moment I have a 512mb Buffalo external hard drive and have had no problems with at all. As it's filling up fast I'm shortly going to purchase a 1tb Buffalo external hd.

lol is that a joke or did you mean 512GB:LOL:

Michael

I would urge anyone thinking of getting an external hard drive, to get two - or one of the multi-drive nas devices.

Backup regularly and leave one offsite somewhere.

Increasingly you have your life on your harddrive, so don't take chances. You will sleep better too!

Graham

As already mentioned, all drives will fail, it's just a matter of when. At work I regularly see drives from all manufacturers clunking away. The precaution you must take is never to simply copy photos to a single external drive unless they are also stored on your computer. Data must be on 2 separate drives as a minimum to be safe. Drives can fail with no warning, or like a new 2TB Hitachi drive on Friday just buzzed repeatedly and wasn't seen.

Back