external HD case

Name
James (Retired)
Edit My Images
No
My PC went belly up last night so i have now bought a new one,i have taken the seagate barracuda 2000GB drive from the old pc.:(
I am looking for recomendations for an an external case that i can plug the hard drive into,never done this before so any help appreciated.:)

I'd happily use Amazon or Ebuyer.com. Just make sure you get the correct interface, although I'd be fairly certain it'll be SATA. Decide on your budget and find something with good/decent user reviews. There's nothing really complicated about them really.

I have seen different sizes,2.5 & 3.5 i think,so that,s what i am not too sure about.

aid841351-v4-728px-Find-out-the-Size-of-a-Hard-Drive-Step-23.jpg

well, if you've taken the old disk out you'll know what size it is, surely...

(slightly confusingly, the 3.5" ones are actually 6"x4" (ish) - hey - don't blame me, I was working on them when they were still the size of washing machine drums...)

Last edited:
Cheers for that,it is the bigger one,first one i have ever removed.:)

Make sure the external case you buy supports USB 3, your new computer should have at least one USB 3 port if not more.

I use one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tccmebius-TCC-S862-UK-External-Docking-Station/dp/B075ZF845X
Tccmebius TCC-S862-UK USB 2.0 to 2.5 3.5 Inch ... - Amazon UK

handy for quickly getting the data onto/off a hard disk (or, doing that to a series of them, say, if you're fixing clients machines or configuring a pile of similar pc's - my system case has the same thing built into it. Personally, I think I'd sooner have a full-case that covers/protects the drive in a semi-pernanent kind of way... Personally, I'd just search on amazon for a "external hard disc case usb3 3.5" " and choose something that fits in with the look/feel of the new pc system...

I only have one power plug on the back of my pc,so where does that plug into.
You connect to the pc via USB and has a separate power plug which you connect to the electrical plug.

another option may actually be to just sling the spare drive into the new pc's case - unless you've gone for a tiny sized pc there's a good chance that there'll be a spare bay and power / sata sockets - and you'll get "full speed" out of the drive that way rather than any potential USB bottlenecks.

Thanks for that.

I might have a look inside the pc.

another option may actually be to just sling the spare drive into the new pc's case - unless you've gone for a tiny sized pc there's a good chance that there'll be a spare bay and power / sata sockets - and you'll get "full speed" out of the drive that way rather than any potential USB bottlenecks.

Good idea and yes there should be a spare SATA power cable but chances are he will need to buy a SATA data cable as most big desktop manufacturers don't supply a spare one.

Good idea and yes there should be a spare SATA power cable but chances are he will need to buy a SATA data cable as most big desktop manufacturers don't supply a spare one.

true, but, that's an awful lot cheaper than an external case...

View attachment 130315

(slightly confusingly, the 3.5" ones are actually 6"x4" (ish) - hey - don't blame me, I was working on them when they were still the size of washing machine drums...)

The platters, the actual disks inside are 3.5 & 2.5" respectively, therefore with the housing they come out a bit bigger, as bigYin says 4"-ish.

and yep I was too working on washing machine drum sized drives, all of a 1mb.

The spec looks fine but as usual 8GB ram is the bare minimum of memory for Win 10.
My laptop has 8GB and the load times for lightroom and catalogue is painful. My desktop although it also has a faster CPU and separate graphics card and 16GB Ram is a pleasure to use for photo pp.

my desktop has an old i7 cpu, 8gb of ddr3 ram and runs LR absolutely fine so i am guessing the issues with your laptop are more down to the "downtuning" of the ram etc rather than quantity.

my desktop has an old i7 cpu, 8gb of ddr3 ram and runs LR absolutely fine so i am guessing the issues with your laptop are more down to the "downtuning" of the ram etc rather than quantity.

Well it's only an i3 so that doesn't help

Ordered that one Tccmebius TCC-S862-UK USB 2.0 to 2.5 3.5 Inch,cheers sep9001:)

i would suggest that is your biggest problem then to be fair, only gripe i have with mine is that autocad takes a while to boot up, the cure for that though is an ssd drive since once the software is running it runs perfectly well.

I fitted a Samsung evo 500GB SSD to my desktop when I built it, the read / speed is amazing.
If my laptop wasn't such a pain to gain access to the HDD I'd also replace it with an SSD

i am actually seriously considering the NVMe side of things now that the prices have become much more sensible, at some stage i will be rebuilding the current pc and the guts of it will transfer into my server to give that a refresh by which time the NVMe drives will be much more commonplace so i can just carry it over to the new build. The boot times with them are just ridiculous

My new HDD Tccmebius dock arrived today,just installed it,works brilliant.:):banana:

Back