External Mic for Canon HV20

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

I've been asked to record a funeral in a weeks time, mostly the speeches. I'm going to use my Canon HV20 on a tripod, but need an external mic. Does anyone have any recommendations ? One's I've heard about are the Rode Videomic, Canon DM-50, and a cheap ebay one SG-108 !

Any help would be much appreciated :D

Lee

I use a Rode video mic on my HV30 with good results

For best results, you really need to have a microphone as close as possible to the speaker. If you can get hold of a portable recorder (Zoom, Tascam, Sony, Yamaha etc) and place this on the lectern, you will get far better results than relying on an on-camera mic, or even the best camera mounted mic if it is too far away (more than a few metres) from the subject.

It's quite easy with most video editing software to sync the camera footage with the audio from the portable recorder.

Last edited:
Great, thanks for your advice, i ended up videoing with a guy who does it as a part time job, he had a portable audio recorder, right in the heart if it all, sound quality was amazing ! I ended up being the wide/auxiliary camera man, no need for me to record audio. Fortunely i'd recently purchased a 52mm raynox 0.66x converter, and a 43mm to 52mm up converter ring which changed my wide angle view from 45mm to 28mm, Massive difference in a Small church ! Anyhow all went well, looking forward to seeing the end result :)

Lee

Back