Extra "working" storage for SSD Macs

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
My current iMac, which is due for replacement has a 500GB HDD (old school spinning type) and I know I want my next Mac to have SSD. I also want to have at least 1TB storage, 2TB would be better.

However Apple's prices for extra memory are very expensive (+£360 to jump from 500GB to 1TB SSD). I also don't think I need super fast SSD to store most of the images reference by Lightroom, I'm sure a 7200rpm HDD would do. I also want a separate drive to be a Time Machine back up to the internal storage and the "working" external drive.

Are there any solutions that would allow this in one neat package - avoiding lots of cables/power bricks etc? Or am I best with two completely different external drives?

Is USB-C fast enough for spinning drives? Or am I best off with Thunderbolt 3?

Or would I be better off with SSD for the "working" drive?

Ssd as your main drive, archive older photos off to mechanical disk once you've finished editing them via lightroom.

In my opinion TB isn't worth the premium over Usb3. Unless you need balls to the wall bandwidth from raided Ssd or daisy chaining ability Usb3 should suffice for most.

Last edited:
I’ve just added a 256gb ssd via a usb cable to my iMac. The adapter was £6 and the SSD was about £50 from amazon.

I did this as a test to see if it actually made any difference in performance to my existing setup. Just download Mojave’s from the App Store and install it onto the ssd. Reboot the machine and press/hold option key when the machine chimes. Then select which disk to boot from (ssd) and off you go.

My Mac has a 1tb fusion drive and I have to say it does feel quicker using the ssd in comparison. Boot time is quicker and the machine feels more responsive. You could in theory when happy, with the internal Mac hard drive and then use it as storage. Get a 4tb external hdd which is about the size of 2 packs of playing cards and you’re done. 2 wires and you could even Velcro them to the back of your existing machine out of site.

Maybe worth a shot in your case.

Last edited:
Ssd as your main drive, archive older photos off to mechanical disk once you've finished editing them via lightroom.

In my opinion TB isn't worth the premium over Usb3. Unless you need balls to the wall bandwidth from raided Ssd or daisy chaining ability Usb3 should suffice for most.

Yeah, that's the plan. I just need to work out how I am going to manage the archive and Time Machine, as obviously I don't want to back up of the archive to be on Time Machine on the same drive. That may be where daisychaining comes in to it...

I’ve just added a 256gb ssd via a usb cable to my iMac. The adapter was £6 and the SSD was about £50 from amazon.

I did this as a test to see if it actually made any difference in performance to my existing setup. Just download Mojave’s from the App Store and install it onto the ssd. Reboot the machine and press/hold option key when the machine chimes. Then select which disk to boot from (ssd) and off you go.

My Mac has a 1tb fusion drive and I have to say it does feel quicker using the ssd in comparison. Boot time is quicker and the machine feels more responsive. You could in theory when happy, with the internal Mac hard drive and then use it as storage. Get a 4tb external hdd which is about the size of 2 packs of playing cards and you’re done. 2 wires and you could even Velcro them to the back of your existing machine out of site.

Maybe worth a shot in your case.

The iMac needs to be replaced anyway, so won't be spending money on upgrading it.

A Fusion drive does seem like a good idea, apart from the 1TB Fusion drive only has a tiny SSD part. The 2/3TB Fusion drives are a lot better, but only available on the 27" iMacs.

Back